• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Think my system will bottle neck 1080 ti?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rydis

I am unhappy I can' run Fallout 4 with HD package at 1440p+ with a steady 60 fps, with maybe a light enb. Gets huge drops here and there. Even games like xcom 2 or overwatch can't be ran well over 30 fps with a 1070.

So thinking of a 1080 ti might be better, and probably able to do it in 4k.

I currently have

Gigabyte LGA1151 Intel Z170
I5 6600k @ 4ghz
16 gb Ram
FE 1070

anyone have any experience with the non FE editions?

Looks like the FE are very loud. Im ok with the the decibel level of the current 1070 I have at 100% fan speed..but dont want to go higher, and this seems to go quite a bit higher.

I have trouble with my GTX 1070 running 1080p, l like my FPS to be in the +144 FPS range in BF1. My i5 6600k clocked at 4.5GHz does jut fine, however I have to run graphics at medium do to my video card. I could run the i5 6600k stock for 80 FPS.

I have trouble with my GTX 1070 running 1080p, l like my FPS to be in the +144 FPS range in BF1. My i5 6600k clocked at 4.5GHz does jut fine, however I have to run graphics at medium do to my video card. I could run the i5 6600k stock for 80 FPS.

yeah, im not looking to go that high.

Im fine at 60 fps. Id like to do 4k with HD packs, enb and such and maintain 60 fps.

right now, the 1070 can' even handle 1440p at a constant 60 fps at max settings.

Though the fan noise of teh 1080 ti has me worried and thinking of not getting.

I don't even notice the fan noise on my 1080 Ti.

do you go above 50%. I live in florida, and usually all my cards run pretty hot (70º) and have to max the fan settings to keep it this way. I expect it to be under full load at 4k I have no plans to OC it though, as I dont think it needs it. So not sure how loud it will get stock :/

Last edited:
yeah, im not looking to go that high.

Im fine at 60 fps. Id like to do 4k with HD packs, enb and such and maintain 60 fps.

right now, the 1070 can' even handle 1440p at a constant 60 fps at max settings.

Though the fan noise of teh 1080 ti has me worried and thinking of not getting.

Purchase the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 it has 3 fans that run slower thus quieter. LINK :http://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=11G-P4-6696-KR

The i5 3470 3.2GHz can run Fallout 4 at 80-98 FPS Link: http://www.techspot.com/review/1089-fallout-4-benchmarks/page5.html so your rig will be just fine.

FE is not so loud. It's not as loud as GTX980 DC2 or even GTX970 Gigabyte WF3. FE isn't quiet at full load but really can't complain. However if you want to spend so much money on graphics card then mentioned EVGA FTW3 is a good choice.

Results in dB in reviews are not showing real noise. Difference between measurement from 1m and 2-3m is already big and no one should measure noise next to the device as user is not sitting next to graphics card.
Also every person hears in a big different way so what for one person is loud then for other is acceptable. In closed case it also sounds different. I'm not saying that FE is quiet and I don't want to defend it but I just wouldn't trust if someone says that card is loud because in tests it has 40dB+ or something. I also don't trust all reviews where I see that fans have below 20dB as it's nearly impossible to have readings of that in perfectly quiet environment ( I was testing computers at the university for CE and other certificates and almost fully passive pc had 21-25dB ).

Custom coolers (Strix for example) are up to 15c cooler then FE and are sometimes quieter with 3 fans. You pay extra but it's worth it ;)

FE is not so loud. It's not as loud as GTX980 DC2 or even GTX970 Gigabyte WF3. FE isn't quiet at full load but really can't complain. However if you want to spend so much money on graphics card then mentioned EVGA FTW3 is a good choice.

Results in dB in reviews are not showing real noise. Difference between measurement from 1m and 2-3m is already big and no one should measure noise next to the device as user is not sitting next to graphics card.
Also every person hears in a big different way so what for one person is loud then for other is acceptable. In closed case it also sounds different. I'm not saying that FE is quiet and I don't want to defend it but I just wouldn't trust if someone says that card is loud because in tests it has 40dB+ or something. I also don't trust all reviews where I see that fans have below 20dB as it's nearly impossible to have readings of that in perfectly quiet environment ( I was testing computers at the university for CE and other certificates and almost fully passive pc had 21-25dB ).
i sit about 1m away from my gpu...

Even if its measured from 2m away, its going to be the same as all the other cards from the same distance. These FEs arent bad with their blower cooler, but the aftermarket cards are quieter comparitively. ;)

Even if its measured from 2m away, its going to be the same as all the other cards from the same distance. These FEs arent bad with their blower cooler, but the aftermarket cards are quieter comparitively. ;)

how would you say it rates against the 1070 FE? I usually have my fan running 80% speed.

Its not audible to me when my headset on, however I know I can hear it a room or 2 away. However usually if someone is watching TV or something..talking etc..its pretty inaudible to them. When is really what im looking for. That its not a nuisance to others in the house.

1080Ti FE is louder than 1070 FE and you can hear the difference. Just get something with better cooler.

I meant that typical user is not sitting next to open benching rig which is 1m or less from you :p In some reviews are readings made next to graphics card like someone was keeping head inside the PC case.

Non-reference cards cost almost like FE so really it's better to get something with better cooler. FE would be better only if you are thinking about water cooling as most water blocks are designed for FE and not all manufacturers will make blocks for all non-reference cards.

Last edited:
Im not talkikg about my open air review rig...im talking about my daily driver in a thermaltake core x9...
... though the review rig is also about 3' away from my head too. ;)

20170418_193742r.jpg

Last edited:
so its loudness is greatly overexaggerated. Even at 80% its not that bad.

that being said..still can't even play fallout 4, xcom 2 or dark souls 3 at 4k at a good constant 60 fps.

why do we have these games with this resolution if no technology can even handle it.

so its loudness is greatly overexaggerated. Even at 80% its not that bad.

that being said..still can't even play fallout 4, xcom 2 or dark souls 3 at 4k at a good constant 60 fps.

why do we have these games with this resolution if no technology can even handle it.

better question is why people buy 4k monitors to play games on ? No way I am ever ok lowering my gfx setting just so I can have a larger rez.
1080p 144hz is the sweet spot imo no need to buy a new titan every year so you can play that years aaa game on med settings @ 4k .

better question is why people buy 4k monitors to play games on ? No way I am ever ok lowering my gfx setting just so I can have a larger rez.
1080p 144hz is the sweet spot imo no need to buy a new titan every year so you can play that years aaa game on med settings @ 4k .

After playing in 1440 and 4k..I can never go back to 1080p. It just looks way to blurry and awful. Its one of those things you cant unseen.

Like back in the day when we were capped on 25 and 30 fps on games..then you get 60 or even 144hz. You can never accept 30 fps really again (really game dependent, but get my meaning).

I will do 1440p with high settings or 4k with high/medium (again some games dont need all the pretties, like xcom2). But I wont play anything in 1080.

1440p at 100hz+ is a great compromise. ;)

But yeah, i had a decent 1080p monitor and moved up to 1440p ips... wont go down in res. Next purchase will be 4k 100hz+ ips. :)

Last edited:
Back