• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

12+2 phase or 16+2 phase on 1080ti?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

peugot

hey. so i am going to buy a 1080ti now and i have come to choose between the zotac amp extreme(16+2 power phase) or the gigabyte aorus extreme(12+2 phase). is there really a big performance difference between this ?
also, what do you think is the best buy of those 2, and why? tnx :)

The number of phases does not matter for how much power is delivered, it depends on what each of the phase may be able to produce. I'm not sure about how these particular cards setup their phases, but its common for 16 phases to be 8+8, while 12 can be truly 12, but could also be a variation like 8+8.

With that being said, your best bet is to look at what others have done in overclocking (if that is what you intend to do). Outside of that, there is no difference to you.

To add to what DOLK stated, unless you plan on taking the card sub ambient. The "big power" cards aren't really going to make much difference when it comes to overclocking.

Yeah it comes down to: Who designed a better power plane, not who has more phases.

Num of phases is just a marketing thing.

okay,tnx :) so then the question will be: to get the best design etc, should i go with the zotac amp extreme, gigabyte aorus extreme or the asus strix gaming? price is not the most important here, the most important is overclocking ability and best design/features. if you guys should buy one today, what would be your pick ? :)

the msi gaming x could also be picked, but its actually more expensive and have lower clocks and only 2 fans so i dont know if its a good pick? :S

All the cards clock to whatever the GPU can be pushed to with running in Ambient temperatures, the phase does not help for more performance in that situation because there is not enough more AMP's needed. The one with the best cooling will give the most performance.

these days it seems to basically come down to warranty, price and cooling. they all overclock the same if you take temps out of the equation. at that point it comes down to how much noise you can take. pretty sure the best of all worlds is an evga founders edition with the 1080ti hydro kit or maybe a kraken g12 with a corsair h90.

On 1080Ti it doesn't matter if it's FE or any non-reference design unless card has unlocked voltage and power limit ( like above 1.1V and +50% ) ... and you test it on much better cooling than air. All cards offer the same on ambient temps and how high it will OC depends on GPU and BIOS. Power design in FE is for 300W+ but it's throttling much below that ( 250W or something ).
I would wait for EVGA FTW because of better warranty.

Im running an EVGA FE 1080ti with the shunt mod, and an EK full water block. Card runs consistently at 2138mhz overclock and rarely see's more than 40*c. I have the PC folding at that overclock (using the full 1.093 volts) and I will see 45-47*c but keep in mind that is 24/7 use at 100%. Gaming the card never see's over 40*c (with a loop that rarely reaches more than 32*c in the same instances)

So as said above, it all comes down to price, aesthetics, and warranty.

My EVGA FE can't make much more than ~2000MHz on stock cooler even if temps are good and power limit is set higher :( ... so far I was checking it with ASUS and Gigabyte BIOS without luck. Or voltage or throttling issues.

My EVGA FE can't make much more than ~2000MHz on stock cooler even if temps are good and power limit is set higher :( ... so far I was checking it with ASUS and Gigabyte BIOS without luck. Or voltage or throttling issues.

I can run 2150mhz in games just fine. But it wont make it through a benchmark.

tnx ppl, so its basically no downside to the gaming X version even if it only has ("true") 8 phase ? i was watching pcb vids and it looked a little cheap compared to the zotac amp extreme with all dem caps n **** haha.

More caps, more inductors more anything doesn't mean that it will be better. More caps may actually be required because the rest of the circuit was designed poorly.

IMO it comes down to: Who made the inductor, whats the FETs used, and how was it all put together. I can't speak for each company but I typically go with companies I trust because of history (ASUS, GIGABYTE, MSI, EVGA). Other companies do a bad job with their power planes. Exceptions to my rules always apply :)

Don't believe me? Here is the industry calculator used by all to get an idea of what components they need. As you can see, there is no field for number of a certain part or phase.

Back