• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead pc after Case/GPU/PSU swap

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bossman150

I upgraded to the 1080 ti a while back, so I gave my dad my 980 Ti, he was using a 970. The case he was using was over 10 years old and it would not fit the new GPU. So he bought the same case I have and I talked him into buying an EVGA PSU, even though we have always bought Corsair before and never had a single issue with them. He bought the EVGA 650 G2, which was rated extremely well by Johnny Guru. Now we have been building PCs for over 15 years, so this is not our first time with an issue. However this is the first time that NOTHING happens when you push the power button. Not a flicker of a fan or light at all. Yes, made sure all the switches were on and tried different outlets. Am I safe to assume that it's the PSU? I am not sure where to even start since nothing happens to diagnose....

this happen to me recently i pulled the mobo out and did the cardboard test. thats when you put it in a cardboard box and do a test power on. I found out my issue was a grounding issue as well as the pin to power on being in the wrong place.

I upgraded to the 1080 ti a while back, so I gave my dad my 980 Ti, he was using a 970. The case he was using was over 10 years old and it would not fit the new GPU. So he bought the same case I have and I talked him into buying an EVGA PSU, even though we have always bought Corsair before and never had a single issue with them. He bought the EVGA 650 G2, which was rated extremely well by Johnny Guru. Now we have been building PCs for over 15 years, so this is not our first time with an issue. However this is the first time that NOTHING happens when you push the power button. Not a flicker of a fan or light at all. Yes, made sure all the switches were on and tried different outlets. Am I safe to assume that it's the PSU? I am not sure where to even start since nothing happens to diagnose....

Ah, I remember we had a hard time with the power pin! I didn't think that would keep the system from booting though but it makes sense. The mobo has a 3 pin spot for the power pin, but the power pin from the case is 2 pin. I hope thats all it is, just have to try moving it over and using the two pins on the other side...

Am I safe to assume that it's the PSU? I am not sure where to even start since nothing happens to diagnose....

You can make a start at diganosis with the psu by jumpstarting the psu. If the fan doesnt spin then you know for certain to blame the psu and send for an RMA. Here is a repository of PSU pinouts that has saved my behind a few times. Always double check with an official source if you are unsure about which pins are which though, because as reliable as this repository has been for me.... well that doesnt mean something cant go wrong for anyone else.

Building on a cardboard box as suggested in post #2 will rule out the mobo shorting on the case. If the psu fan spins up then its time to start swapping components until you can find which one is toast. Good luck :)

It was the power pin :-/ Now I feel stupid lol. The pins for power LED were clearly marked and easy to find, we assumed that was the right one. Nope, the power button pins were labeled in microscopic lettering but I finally found them, switched it and everything works perfectly.

right on. I did that not too long ago. I grabbed the pin extender that i got with an older motherboard, and plugged the case connectors into that, and then put that into the motherboard. it's keyed, so it won't go in wrong. ��

Back