Dead pc after Case/GPU/PSU swap

I upgraded to the 1080 ti a while back, so I gave my dad my 980 Ti, he was using a 970. The case he was using was over 10 years old and it would not fit the new GPU. So he bought the same case I have and I talked him into buying an EVGA PSU, even though we have always bought Corsair before and never had a single issue with them. He bought the EVGA 650 G2, which was rated extremely well by Johnny Guru. Now we have been building PCs for over 15 years, so this is not our first time with an issue. However this is the first time that NOTHING happens when you push the power button. Not a flicker of a fan or light at all. Yes, made sure all the switches were on and tried different outlets. Am I safe to assume that it's the PSU? I am not sure where to even start since nothing happens to diagnose....
    4k gaming rig:
    Core i5 6600k @4.4
    Asrock Z170 Gaming k6
    Corsair RM850
    G. Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200 16gig
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Founder's edition
    CM Storm Stryker white
    Mushkin Enhanced Reactor 1tb SSD
    CM Hyper D92
    48" curved 4k screen

Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    this happen to me recently i pulled the mobo out and did the cardboard test. thats when you put it in a cardboard box and do a test power on. I found out my issue was a grounding issue as well as the pin to power on being in the wrong place.
    heatware 206-0-0
    good xbox had some good times
    psn:bluedood
    steam:bluedood
    Dont take the classies for granted

Quote Originally Posted by bossman150 View Post
    I upgraded to the 1080 ti a while back, so I gave my dad my 980 Ti, he was using a 970. The case he was using was over 10 years old and it would not fit the new GPU. So he bought the same case I have and I talked him into buying an EVGA PSU, even though we have always bought Corsair before and never had a single issue with them. He bought the EVGA 650 G2, which was rated extremely well by Johnny Guru. Now we have been building PCs for over 15 years, so this is not our first time with an issue. However this is the first time that NOTHING happens when you push the power button. Not a flicker of a fan or light at all. Yes, made sure all the switches were on and tried different outlets. Am I safe to assume that it's the PSU? I am not sure where to even start since nothing happens to diagnose....
    Ah, I remember we had a hard time with the power pin! I didn't think that would keep the system from booting though but it makes sense. The mobo has a 3 pin spot for the power pin, but the power pin from the case is 2 pin. I hope thats all it is, just have to try moving it over and using the two pins on the other side...
    4k gaming rig:
    Core i5 6600k @4.4
    Asrock Z170 Gaming k6
    Corsair RM850
    CM Storm Stryker white
    CM Hyper D92
    48" curved 4k screen

Quote Originally Posted by bossman150 View Post
    Am I safe to assume that it's the PSU? I am not sure where to even start since nothing happens to diagnose....
    You can make a start at diganosis with the psu by jumpstarting the psu. If the fan doesnt spin then you know for certain to blame the psu and send for an RMA. Here is a repository of PSU pinouts that has saved my behind a few times. Always double check with an official source if you are unsure about which pins are which though, because as reliable as this repository has been for me.... well that doesnt mean something cant go wrong for anyone else.

Building on a cardboard box as suggested in post #2 will rule out the mobo shorting on the case. If the psu fan spins up then its time to start swapping components until you can find which one is toast. Good luck
    ..... Daily Driver . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . NAS/Etc......
    PSU: Supernova G2 750w. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 350W Seasonic (SS-350ET)
    GPU: HD 7850. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Radeon 5450
    Mobo: GigaByte 990fxa-UD3. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Gigabyte 970a-d3p
    CPU:Phenom II 955BE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Athlon II x2 270
    RAM: 4 x 8gb PNY XLR8. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2 x 2gb 1333
    Cooling: MegaHalems! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Arctic Alpine 64 Plus CPU Cooler
    HDD : Western Digital Caviar Black 1T . . . . . . . . . . Enough For Now!
    OS DRIVE: 120GB Kingston SSDNow
    Smileys are too Punctuation! :)

It was the power pin Now I feel stupid lol. The pins for power LED were clearly marked and easy to find, we assumed that was the right one. Nope, the power button pins were labeled in microscopic lettering but I finally found them, switched it and everything works perfectly.
    4k gaming rig:
    Core i5 6600k @4.4
    Asrock Z170 Gaming k6
    Corsair RM850
    CM Storm Stryker white
    CM Hyper D92
    48" curved 4k screen

6. Thanks!

Deathhorse (04-18-17), knoober (04-18-17)

right on. I did that not too long ago. I grabbed the pin extender that i got with an older motherboard, and plugged the case connectors into that, and then put that into the motherboard. it's keyed, so it won't go in wrong. ��
    CPU:------------Intel Core I7 6700k@4.4 GHz
    Heatsink:------------Cryorig H5A White
    Motherboard:-Asrock Z170 - Extreme 6
    Memory:-------2x4gb Corsair DDR4 3000 MHZ 15-17-17-35
    Power Supply:Kingwin Lazer Gold series 850w
    Video Card:---XFX Hardswap edition RX480 8gb
    Case:-----------Corsair Air 540 Silver/black edition
    HDD:------------TOSHIBA PH3300U-1I72/Western Digital Caviar Black 1tb
    SSD:------------Samsung 850 EVO 500GB