• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best thermal paste to use for my E8400?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Look up reviews and see... the difference is really only a coupe of C. Since yoy have that low end board, i dont think temps will really be an issue.

Id use mx-2 over as5 for that additional 1.5C...

Either will work just fine. If you already have the AS5 then I'd use it. In your case the temp cap will come from your cooler not your TIM.

That's a big cooler. It should take everything that CPU throws at it. Kaitlin, what motherboard are you using?

A crap g31 based board... see her other thread (im tempted to merge the two since this is intimately related...).

i would suggest using AS-C though or Prolimatech PK-3 and my last suggestion, Gelid Solutions GC EXTREME.

after reading reviews for a few days the last two are what i bought and used the PK3 on my rig in sig. the GC is another im going to use for some friends build that actually never happened. :C
i always used AS-C in the past for building my rigs since it was not electrically conductive.

I wouldn't waste money on expensive TIM as it will cost more than CPU is worth. MX2 or MX4 would be my choice as both are good and quite cheap.

the TIM isnt going to matter in this case. The computer is very old.. Its really not going to make a difference.
age has nothing to do with it, the TDP of the cpu is still the TDP, it doesnt get lower just cause its older.

if you plan to keep it for years then go with what you want to spend on the TIM. there are still alot of choices for tim at PPC and newegg, as well as other sites that you can get. That will do a great job and not break the bank.

anything that is labeled thermal paste / thermal compound will work just fine you arent going to see more than a couple C difference between any two tim's for the most part.

i use ceramique because its cheap and decent. anything more than that and you are buying a tube of tim that costs more than your cpu is worth lol.

age has nothing to do with it, the TDP of the cpu is still the TDP, it doesnt get lower just cause its older.

if you plan to keep it for years then go with what you want to spend on the TIM. there are still alot of choices for tim at PPC and newegg, as well as other sites that you can get. That will do a great job and not break the bank.

my point was, dont spend money on an expensive TIM when its not going to matter a single bit.

Back