• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which RAM to use with Ryzen?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Dave, gskill has 2 product lines out which are marked as Ryzen compatible, the Fortis(sp?) line and the FlareX line. I'm personally hoping the update in May that AMD has promised resolves these issues. I'm pretty sure Newegg won't take my RAM back at this point, or let me exchange it for some FlareX.

OP, right now, I suggest avoiding the gskill Aegis kits. Atleast the 3000 2*8gb kit.

Thx for answers, but still...
My RAM works fine on 3200 with 1.3V DRAM and 0.65V on VTTDDR with timings like 16 17 17 42, atm using 18-18-18-54 cuz still testing.
The problem is i cant use CPU OC and RAM OC at the same time. With RAM at 2133 ryzen works fine at 3.9-4.1 too.
What should i try to get them work together? Or better just wait till agesa 0.5 and buy some more compatible RAM?
Another question here. I found now that 16GB RAM not enough for 16 threads in software which i using. So i need kinda 32GB RAM. Can i go for two 16GB modules? Where can i check which one will work at 3200 on my mobo? Or better go for 4x8GB?
Also what the difference between single rank and dual rank modules, except 8 vs 16 memory chips per module? Any difference in real life performance?
For example if i'll order G.SKILL TRIDENT Z F4-3400C16D-32GTZ - will it work at 3200 or more? From what i googled they seems to have samsung b-die.

Next question - how can i check single rank or dual rank RAM b4 buying? same goes for memory chip manufacturer and IC. I looking in shops and at official sites of RAM manufacturers but no any clue about modules config.

And can some1 help me with settings for 24@7? Which voltages and temps a safe for my config?
Tested RAM at [email protected] in stress tests got temps ΔC 11-12 on chips. CPU under linpack goes from 30 to 80C just in few secs after start at [email protected] which i dont think is safe... But under average stress tests temps is fine.
I just got my old 2600k dead when ran it 24@7 at [email protected] after not long... Temps on cores was about 80-90C too and it was under load most of time. Dont want the same story again.

PS between 2933 and 3200 RAM with all the same voltages i have 10W difference in power consumption for CPU - is that normal?
PPS somehow got seems to be stable OC but only [email protected] with [email protected] and at this setup got 290W power draw by CPU... omg, mobo VRM skyrocketed over Δ30C just in 1 min, then up to 40 and not only that =(
Is it normal that 65W TDP CPU at stock clocks and voltages hits 140W under load? Dont remember something like this from intel. Only from nvidia with their gtx980 165W TDP which draw 10A under load only from each additional power connectors, not count PCI-E from mobo.

Last edited:
There are no 2x16GB or 4x8GB memory kits which will work at 3200 on ryzen. Max you can count on is 2666 ( oficially even less ). At 2666 I was testing crucial ballistix sport lt and it was working fine on asus prime x370-pro.

Dave, gskill has 2 product lines out which are marked as Ryzen compatible, the Fortis(sp?) line and the FlareX line. I'm personally hoping the update in May that AMD has promised resolves these issues. I'm pretty sure Newegg won't take my RAM back at this point, or let me exchange it for some FlareX.

OP, right now, I suggest avoiding the gskill Aegis kits. Atleast the 3000 2*8gb kit.
It's weird because that RAM ran fine at 2933 (well 2928) on the X370 I had after I flashed the BIOS to 0504, I think. I did have to up the memory voltage a bit to 1.385V. Maybe a later BIOS "update" screwed the pooch? The AGESA 1.0.0.4a update did nothing for my mATX ASRock AB350M Pro4 board so I'm not sure AMD has a handle on anything memory related either. My former ATX AB350 Pro4 ran my Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 fine at 2933, but with the same AGESA 1.0.0.4a update the mATX version is stuck at 2666. But I really want to eventually transplant my Ryzen 5 1600 rig to my mATX cube case so I'm hanging in there with it.

It's weird because that RAM ran fine at 2933 (well 2928) on the X370 I had after I flashed the BIOS to 0504, I think. I did have to up the memory voltage a bit to 1.385V. Maybe a later BIOS "update" screwed the pooch? The AGESA 1.0.0.4a update did nothing for my mATX ASRock AB350M Pro4 board so I'm not sure AMD has a handle on anything memory related either. My former ATX AB350 Pro4 ran my Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 fine at 2933, but with the same AGESA 1.0.0.4a update the mATX version is stuck at 2666. But I really want to eventually transplant my Ryzen 5 1600 rig to my mATX cube case so I'm hanging in there with it.
It was the bios update after 0504 that I started having issues with it. Even at that same voltage. Had VTT bumped as well like woomack suggested.

Yeah between the motherboard manufacturers acting as if DDR4 was something new when they've been working with it on Intel boards for years, and AMD's fumbling it's a crapshoot for the time being.

I am currently gambling with ordered G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 16GVR Kit 3000 CL15 (F4-3000C15D-16GVR). I am hoping it will work at least 2666 on Ryzen for now once arrived. I was trying to find if anyone anywhere has tried to place it inside a Ryzen build but most similar what I've come accross is on this reddit thread But, theres only memory sticks having "F4-3000C15D-16G" without VR, one has Hynix Single sided IC. However timings for it are 15-16-16-35 while for the one I have ordered are 15-15-15-35 so theres still hope I might get a Samsung IC :D

I am currently gambling with ordered G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 16GVR Kit 3000 CL15 (F4-3000C15D-16GVR). I am hoping it will work at least 2666 on Ryzen for now once arrived. I was trying to find if anyone anywhere has tried to place it inside a Ryzen build but most similar what I've come accross is on this reddit thread But, theres only memory sticks having "F4-3000C15D-16G" without VR, one has Hynix Single sided IC. However timings for it are 15-16-16-35 while for the one I have ordered are 15-15-15-35 so theres still hope I might get a Samsung IC :D

Purchase G.SKILL Flare X (for AMD) 3200 speed and they have QVL listings. LINK: http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c14d-16gfx

Sadly that RAM is way over my budget, its like 60€ higher price. I am sure big part of that premium price is compability with Ryzen CPUs, but I've also seen people with FlareX unable to reach the 3200 speeds.

Maybe they just had a bad set because G.KILL has Qualified Vendors list for that memory and motherboards. I guess we will never know since I have not seen people try replacing the Flare X. Just recently JordanF75 replaced 3 of the same sets of G.SKILL 3200 speed memory until he received a set that worked at 3200 speed.

I found on sale HOF4CXLBS4000M19SF162K, which i can grab now. Will they work stable 3200 on my mobo? Have i chance that they will work also after AGESA etc updates in 4 DIMM mode?

I found on sale HOF4CXLBS4000M19SF162K, which i can grab now. Will they work stable 3200 on my mobo? Have i chance that they will work also after AGESA etc updates in 4 DIMM mode?
1. Check the qvl list for your Mobo for comparability.
2. We have no ideas how much the next AGESA update (ram one) will affect systems. We all hope it helps greatly :)

1. Check the qvl list for your Mobo for comparability.
2. We have no ideas how much the next AGESA update (ram one) will affect systems. We all hope it helps greatly :)

1. my friend already bought RAM from QVL list (he have same mobo) and RAM dont work above 2400. So thx, QVL useless :) My RAM not from QVL and works at 3200 but only if my CPU not OCed. When OCed 2933 max stable.
2. ok. Any1 know when update should come to us?

1. my friend already bought RAM from QVL list (he have same mobo) and RAM dont work above 2400. So thx, QVL useless :) My RAM not from QVL and works at 3200 but only if my CPU not OCed. When OCed 2933 max stable.
2. ok. Any1 know when update should come to us?
I know Asus listed the speed achieved on said QVL list. Are you saying those speeds didn't work, or does your Mobo manufacturer just not list the speeds achieved on Ryzen?

AMD says the ram update is going to be released to OEMs/Mobo manufacturers in may. How long they take to get the update to us is on them [emoji14]

just list of memory
oh btw, u have same CPU. What is yr power consumption depends of working freq?
I got my [email protected] and have about 150W, but at 3.9 its already up to 260W, 4.0 above i have peaks above 300W >_< And during 250W stable load at 3.9 have temp 75C with 25C air around. Ryzen for sure not for AIR cooling even at stock clocks and not for b350 and cheap x370 boards. I even installed active cooling for mobo VRM, cuz under long time load its overheat.

Last edited:
just list of memory
Ahhh well that's my bad. I thought they gave you more info. Asus has ram listed with the speed divider that worked for the QVL, including if D.O.C.P. mode (XMP translation) was used. I think it has been said before, but right now, the safest bet is the Fortis or FlareX ram from gskill.

Right now if you want to run 4 diims at 3200 you're going to have to get something based on Samsung "B" die and they will be more expensive. Simply because they're the besr/compatible chips on the market at the moment. Check this site and it will help choose your mobo then it'll give you ram selections. http://rymem.vraith.com/ Click on them and they show what clocks people have managed to reach with them. Here's two different sets of ram one 3600 and one 4266 (both samsung) in the same board running 3200 CL14

Aida 32gb 3200 14 13.JPG
RB 174049.JPG

I already bought RAM which i mentioned few posts ago. Will test it next week. If any1 need i can post results.
btw my single rank samsung C-die still works fine at 3200 with CL18 timings and stock clock CPU :)
Thx for link anyway - its not have RAM i bought, but have lot of other RAM and all mobos. It will help for my friends when they will upgrade for ryzen too.
About yr screens - holy cow [email protected] is it under LN2?
I cant keep mine on working temps at (look screen) Under load its just reach TJmax and i have shutdown 1700cpuz4.1.png

PS how to OC with bclk? I tried and any numbers i set cause my PC shutdown and not load till bclk back to 100. Even 99 or 101 same story...
PPS sorry for my horrible english :p

No that was water and on this BIOS CPUz report the voltage way too high. According to HWInfo64 I had less than 1.4V at the CPU

I feel like I should post back what I ended up with. After company not shipping me items, I was forced to refund and I had to order from another one where they have very limited options to pick from. Luckily enough, I purchased for 189€ HyperX Predator CL16 3200MHz (HX432C16PB3K2/16). Currently I am running it with XMP 2 on 2933 and I am waiting for a more stable bios to have it finally 3200, maybe I'll even overclock then to higher, I guess Frequency > CL17 would be worth?

Here is single sided Hynix IC :p
freq.png
b23a897fea715eb6140b2a25b470a255.png

Back