• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which RAM to use with Ryzen?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thronius

Registered
So, as title says, I am interested in purchasing an Ryzen R5 1600 from either computeruniverse.de or alzashop.com as they come out cheaper than purchasing in my country. I am trying to pair up an 2x8GB ram of some sort not over 150€. Problem is, I cannot find any darn QVL RAM of 3000MHz speeds for either Gigabyte B350 Gaming 3 or MSI B350 Tomahawk which are both on discount at local shop! Could anyone please advise me what should I do? Last thing which I want is to purchase a non-compatible RAM that would slack and only cause problems.

I got my eyes on https://www.computeruniverse.net/en...vengeance-lpx-schwarz-16gb-ddr4-kit-2x8gb.asp...
And this kit https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/products/90651946/g-skill-ripjaws-v-16gb-ddr4-k2.asp...
But as I am unable to find them on QVL, nor I can find any single-sided RAM for similar price I am getting headache from this.

Last edited:
Haven't looked at the link, but for now, I recommend against gskill aegis kits. Mine is not happy over 2133 at the moment... The last few bios updates made the kit very unstable @ 2933 on my board. Then again you milage may vary.

Haven't looked at the link, but for now, I recommend against gskill aegis kits. Mine is not happy over 2133 at the moment... The last few bios updates made the kit very unstable @ 2933 on my board. Then again you milage may vary.

What do you think about G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 K2 3000 CL15? I am really interested into purchasing that kit however concerned about problems like you have.

Everything up to 2666 should work.
At 3000+ will work single rank memory kits so generally all at 3000 cl14 or 3200 cl14/15 but these kits are expensive. I mean something like G.Skill Trident Z or Ripjaws V.
Memory kits which are designed for Ryzen will work too but from these series are only G.Skill Flare X and Fortis.

From other series no one will guarantee that memory will work. Corsair has mixed kits, various IC and single or dual rank modules. The same Team Group, Kingston, ADATA, Avexir etc. Crucial 3200+ kits are single rank. 3000 are single or dual rank.
New G.Skill Ripjaws V and Trident Z batches can be on Hynix IC. New Hynix 8GB modules should be single rank but hard to say.
Corsair Vengeance can be on anything.

your links are not working ...
Everything up to 2666 should work.
At 3000+ will work single rank memory kits so generally all at 3000 cl14 or 3200 cl14/15 but these kits are expensive. I mean something like G.Skill Trident Z or Ripjaws V.
Memory kits which are designed for Ryzen will work too but from these series are only G.Skill Flare X and Fortis.

I've fixed the links. The one from the bottom link, G.Skill I guess is not single sided.
If I still go for it, would there be any chance to get it running up to its full speed of 3000 with BIOS updates?
I am unable to find any single rank memory thats over 2666 for my price range, should I maybe go for that rather?
(The single rank memory I've found https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/products/90684793/ballistix-sport-lt-rot-16gb-ddr4-kit.asp)

So far all my memory kits were working up to 2666. However only 2x single rank were working at 3200.
Ballistix Sport LT are based on new Micron IC. There is high chance that 2x8GB kit will be on single rank modules but this memory can have problems to run at 3000+ because of Micron IC.

So far all my memory kits were working up to 2666. However only 2x single rank were working at 3200.
Ballistix Sport LT are based on new Micron IC. There is high chance that 2x8GB kit will be on single rank modules but this memory can have problems to run at 3000+ because of Micron IC.

Is there a chance this Trident Z is using Samsung die?
https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/products/90621225/g-skill-trident-z-16gb-ddr4-16gtzb-kit.asp
Also I've found https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/products/90621403/g-skill-trident-z-16gb-ddr4-16gtzb-kit.asp
But if I am about to gamble, I think the top one would be worth taking a shot over Ripjaws, correct? I'd just love to reach 3000.

Judging by the price and comparing to what I know are Samsung it looks unlikely. Any samsung kits I found on that site were +€200

something like 3000-3466 15-16-16, 16-16-16 and 16-18-18 can be everything
something like 3000-3200 14-14-14 and 15-15-15 is probably Samsung single rank
everything 3600+ will be single rank Samsung as no other 8GB modules are in mass sales at this frequency

above fits for 2x8GB or 4x8GB kits, at least in most cases

3000 15-16-16 or 3200 16-18-18 can be Samsung but it can be dual rank too. New Trident Z/RGB at these timings can be also Hynix.

something like 3000-3466 15-16-16, 16-16-16 and 16-18-18 can be everything
something like 3000-3200 14-14-14 and 15-15-15 is probably Samsung single rank
everything 3600+ will be single rank Samsung as no other 8GB modules are in mass sales at this frequency

above fits for 2x8GB or 4x8GB kits, at least in most cases

3000 15-16-16 or 3200 16-18-18 can be Samsung but it can be dual rank too. New Trident Z/RGB at these timings can be also Hynix.

Is there any chance this RAM is Samsung single rank? https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/products/90621275/g-skill-ripjaws-v-16gb-ddr4-16gvr-kit.asp
It is 3000, 15-15-15-35-2N
Even tho, it is not listen in any Ryzen Mobo QVL

I think I'll gamble with it, it has nice timings, I hope its single sided. I'll report back once it gets delivered with results :)

I am planning on taking Gigabyte B350 Gaming 3 rather than MSI at it seems everyone reports with Gigabyte they achieve better RAM speeds. Who knows, maybe I even manage to overclock a bit.

Edited my last post.
I would get something X370. Gigabyte B350 Gaming 3 is just right but there can be some problems. I had weirdly high vrm temps under load even though all was fully stable. I'm not sure what to think about it. Friend who got the same board had problems with Windows installation. Finally installed OS but let's say he wasn't happy about losing weekend on PC installation. I just don't think it's worth saving and better is to get lower X370 board from ASUS or ASRock.

Thank you for listing few, but yeah, they are highly expensive as of now, way out of my budget I have set for this upgrade.

Yeah its fairly common with Gigabyte to have high VRM temps, its identical with my current Gigabyte-990XA-UD3, however, I do have a whole "setup" of small fans ready to cooldown VRMs if needed :D
As I will do mostly gaming, I doubt I will need VRM cooling. And I have to say, RAM for Ryzen is really giving me headache.

My AB350 Gaming 3 was passing 100°C on vrm. I'm not sure if it's true reading as software is not always reading sensors right. However additional fans were not helping at all. At 1.43V temps were above 100°C and all was losing stability even though CPU temp was quite low. 1.43V was required to stabilize my 1700X at 4GHz. On ASUS X370 Prime there are no issues to pass 4GHz. Except that Gigabyte was working fine and I could set 2 memory kits at 3200 14-14-14 without issues.
Just saying that so you won't say later that you could pick something else.

Hi there.
I have a taichi with 1700. Havent found any samsung b-die single rank RAM on sale so just bough cheapest one. It happens to be samsung C-die (1GBx8).
Just set timings to CL22 and choose 3200 - starting windows etc, but BSOD at any stress test. When increased DRAM voltage to 1.3V got it stable in tests on CL16.
Got my CPU working at [email protected] vcore (all other voltage default, soc 0.9V), [email protected], [email protected].

Now the problem: when im trying to get it work together... both CPU and RAM OCed - i have BSOD in any stress test. Even 3900 CPU + 3200RAM.
Have tried Vcore up to 1.45 for 4.0 + SOC up to 1.1 + DRAM up to 1.39 + VTTDDR up to 0.7 + RAM timings up to CL24 with active time up to 56 clocks and still no any stability in stress tests.
Is that coz of C-die RAM? Or what should i look for? How to make them works OCed together.

And another question what max temps and voltages i need to look for 24@7 usage?

PS where can i find full list of compatible memory which will work fine on my mobo? I have a friend with same mobo, he bough corsair RAM from mobo QVL list and it isnt going above 2400...

If you check most QVL lists then most memory kits which are there are not working at their rated speed.
What matters is if memory is single rank or dual rank ( single or dual sided modules ). It doesn't matter on what IC is memory kit. There are IC which won't make 3200 regardless of module design but that's other thing. Most Samsung and Hynix single rank modules will work at 3200 ( matter of timings and voltage ).

Samsung B is overclocking the best so all are talking about this IC but if you have Hynix AFR/MFR then in most cases will run at 3200 too.
The only problem is that Ryzen has 5 timings in BIOS and no matter what you do, if memory has wrong sub timings for this platform then simply won't work as you wish.

Other thing is that many new IC don't like CL above 21 and simply won't boot at higher CL. If memory won't run at anything like 17-20-20 at 3200 then it won't run at 3200 at all.
To set 3200 all you need is correct VTT and VDIMM. Other voltages are barely affecting memory OC ( at least till 3200 ).

If you check most QVL lists then most memory kits which are there are not working at their rated speed.

+1 on this. All that most of these QVLs do is ensure the memory will run at 2133. Even more annoying is that with a new BIOS, your specific RAM could run slower than it did previously. Having dealt with 4 different B350 and X370 motherboards and their BIOS updates, nothing is for guaranteed or permanent in the Ryzen ecosystem. I had motherboards in which the RAM was initially capped at 2400, then a BIOS updated got it to 2933, followed by a subsequent update that dropped it back to 2666. I really don't think any of the motherboard manufacturers have any clue how to configure their Ryzen BIOSes.

The only problem is that Ryzen has 5 timings in BIOS and no matter what you do, if memory has wrong sub timings for this platform then simply won't work as you wish.

+1 on this also. This makes it impossible to enter timings manually, since you can't adjust most of them. I really would not recommend spending a lot of money on high-end RAM for a Ryzen rig at this point. I'm guessing that we'll have to wait for Ryzen specific memory modules, specifically programmed to work with the Ryzen internal timings and then most likely have to pay a premium for it.

Back