• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anybody have a general idea as to what hardware generation last supported Vista

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vishera

Helping my buddy throw together the "ultimate Vista machine" for a YouTube video, as an homage for Vista's EOS. I'm assuming it would be AM3 or AM3+ from AMD and either LGA 1156 or 1155 from Intel right?

Last edited:
Vista debuted in 2006 I think so LGA 775 on the intel side would have been current technology and AM2/AM2+ on the AMD side.

It was 2007 for general public though, and 7 wasn't out until 2009. Wouldn't Intel and AMD have supported Vista on 1156 and AM3 boards since the new OS wasn't out yet?

Sorry, I missed the word "last" in your thread title. I answered as if you were going for the ultimate vintage "antique" Vista machine. I think you would be okay by picking socket architecture that was in use up through about the time Microsoft was preparing Windows 8 for release. I imagine the motherboard manufacturers were abandoning Vista about that time. So maybe about year 2011 would be the terminus for Vista support by hardware manufacturers? Check motherboard manufacturer's websites for the Vista drivers available for sockets in use at that time. What's the motivation for your friend to to do this?

Sorry, I missed the word "last" in your thread title. I answered as if you were going for the ultimate vintage "antique" Vista machine. I think you would be okay by picking socket architecture that was in use up through about the time Microsoft was preparing Windows 8 for release. I imagine the motherboard manufacturers were abandoning Vista about that time. So maybe about year 2011 would be the terminus for Vista support by hardware manufacturers? Check motherboard manufacturer's websites for the Vista drivers available for sockets in use at that time. What's the motivation for your friend to to do this?

I just took a quick look based on trents comment, it looks like Vista has at least Sandy Bridge/s1155 support, going by the support page for my old board. s1151 is not, at least not the new Z270 boards.

Edit - no s1150 support at least from MSI.

I bet you could shoehorn Windows 7 drivers to work with Vista, so even mobos that support that could work with Vista because they are so similar. Would be a crapshoot though.

I've used Vista drivers on hardware that didn't have W7 drivers (too old). It was a web cam, and I'm still using it with W7 Pro x64.

Back