• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Samsung 960 Evo nvme issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

R_Pierce

Ok fellas, so I sprung for a Samsung 960 Evo nvme drive for the OS drive. Problem is, it's drastically slower than my old 850 Evo in general use. Boot takes forever. It will go through the ASUS splash screens, and then when it would normally boot right to windows, it just leaves a black screen. 45 seconds or so later it will boot to the windows lock/sign on screen. I also noticed that when first logging in, it seems excessively laggy while start up tasks complete. I didn't notice this near as bad with the 850 Evo. So I must be doing something wrong. Driver issue maybe? Not formatted correctly? I'm not sure, but it's annoying.

Asus Maximus IX Formula MoBo. Samsung 960 Evo NVME.

did you do a fresh install with the nvme as the only installed drive or did you migrate to the dive with the samsung software.
my first step would be to make sure i had the boot menu set up correctly in the bios.

your CSE or secure boot settings can have a big effect on bootup times- esp with nvme drives

alright, so installed the samsung driver, made sure my chipset and ME drivers were up to date (they were) and still no luck. Also checked to make sure the NVME was first priroty in the boot list, and it was. And also messed around with fastboot, secure boot and neither made a difference either. Last boot took 60.84 seconds from the time I first saw the ASUS splash screen, until I got the windows log in screen... Takes me back to the boot times of the 90's

well, the drive is definitely performing up to snuff. Just not sure on the long boot time. Below is it compared to my 850 evo.

960 evo nvme.PNG 850 evo.PNG

your 4k323 reads and writes are way down. but dont think that is your problem

Odd that it takes so long to boot. I wouldn't expect it to be faster than your 850, but slower is odd. I know they had a firmware update for the 960 evo, maybe give that a shot?

Odd that it takes so long to boot. I wouldn't expect it to be faster than your 850, but slower is odd. I know they had a firmware update for the 960 evo, maybe give that a shot?
It's actually on the newest firmware. I did check that with Samsung magician.

alright, so here is after yet another fresh install of windows (of which it made no difference in boot time, but did help the 4k323 times immensely.

960 evo new.PNG

Isnt there a program which does it withoit sdk and compressed files, etc...?

I'm sure there is, I haven't tried to diagnose w10 boot issues before though. I know there are some paid ones, but not sure about freebies...

I know on my windows 10 computers, when using an nvme drive the CSE and secure boot settings make it just sit for around 8 seconds before it even starts to load windows. dont remember if it is with CSE disabled and secure boot also disabled or having them enabled. but one of the settings make a big difference for all of my computers.
its not as noticable if I have only a single nvme drive an no others
even when they boot correctly from nvme they arent any faster for boot purposes as a good sata drive.
I also have a pair of 950pro drives that when in raid they boot stupid fast, as in quite a bit faster than anything I have ever spied

OK, its definitely something that it doesnt like about the NVME, or my settings. I put a fresh install of windows on my 850 EVO and it boots from splash screen to windows login screen in 16 seconds. (that included a 3 second pause on post so you can catch the bios screen)

Odd, my asus z270E MB boots with raided SM951a's in around 10-15 seconds. Not sure why your formula would have struggles with nvme

Back