• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radeon RX 480 Cards Can Successfully be Flashed to RX 580

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
When will they (AMD) learn not to recycle the same cards and expect people to buy in. For Shame. IMO it would have been better to wait a couple more months and release Vega in different forms to accommodate the lower end of the spectrum

Its not a bad thing IMO. It keeps them in the 1080p scene which is the largest in consumer builds. 1440p and higher are still not that high in sales compared to 1080p.

With that being said, I will attempt this when I get home. But I will need a BIOS for my 4gb version as well.

I would stick to the same memory manufacturer and size as there are a bit different memory timings in BIOS. I'm not sure if all cards have the same memory chips. I have 2 bios chips on my card and for some reason both are the same so I will check it for sure... I'm just not sure when.

Edit:
Since I downloaded BIOS then I thought I will try it and I already flashed my HIS RX480 to Sapphire RX580 ... and so far it's working.

Requires driver update and that's all.

Edit2:
It's not stable, card crashed while playing game and after 2nd driver recovery pc freezed.

Edit3:
Looks like my card can't handle 1411MHz stable without additional changes. Will play with some settings other day. Now it seems fine at 1350MHz.

Last edited:
Its not a bad thing IMO. It keeps them in the 1080p scene which is the largest in consumer builds. 1440p and higher are still not that high in sales compared to 1080p.

With that being said, I will attempt this when I get home. But I will need a BIOS for my 4gb version as well.
keeps them? The 480 is already there.. this overclock and added voltage thing and a 'new' card is getting old...

Well I'm not going to do anything now that I have a 1080 on the way. I was doing dual 480s because whispers were saying May for Vega...

Edit3:
Looks like my card can't handle 1411MHz stable without additional changes. Will play with some settings other day. Now it seems fine at 1350MHz.

What kind of gain is 1350 from previous? Or is that previous? Im locked @ 1400 core and cant touch the memory so I had real high hopes for this bios business. Ill report back to this thread if/when I get the courage to try.

Stock is 1338MHz, I just set 1350 to test if there is no issue with BIOS itself but all is working fine. My card can make 1450MHz max for benchmarks but it wasn't fully stable above 1400MHz as I remember. I wasn't testing it for full stability so I thought there is a chance on that 1411MHz but looks like it's too much.
So changing BIOS is not giving anything. In theory should be higher voltage range but on my card I could set it on stock BIOS too.

Looks like RX480 = RX580 as RX580 has higher frequency but at the same time higher voltage. RX480 at higher voltage can make the same ( at least these better cards ). AMD has changed something in production process so RX580 easier runs at higher frequency. Can call it cherry picked RX480. I just think that all RX580 will run at 1400+ while not all RX480 can pass 1400MHz stable.
On the other hand RX580 requires new driver to run so maybe AMD will add something more to RX580 what won't be available in RX480. Hard to say.

Considering that the 480 thus far has been 'good enough' at 1080p (what I game at.... When I can game), I'm not upset about buying mine a month or so ago. Was kinda hoping this would be the case from a purely self-interest point of view [emoji14]

RX480 is good enough at 1440p for me so I'm not complaining. If it was slow then I would sell it long time ago.

Interesting.
This seems to be the same as the results Woomack got. After seeing these kinds of results in more than 1 place, I am not so interested in flashing to the 580 bios... At least not until the warranty period is over with. I still might at a later time just to see if I can get a bigger OC out of it, but 1400 core is enough for today :) I sure would love to be able to bump the memory at all, but my card just rolls over and dies no matter the voltage with the smallest memory adjustment.

Im still not sure whether to be mad or not. I looked for word on the 580 back in Feb when I purchased my 480 and there was nothing that hinted at a better card for the same price 2 months down the road. But I still ended the day with a solid card and a solid price, so I guess I should cry too much. Its not like I wasnt willing to wait and didnt look though :(

Well I'm not bummed out by this. My 480 was a real dud in the oc department. Tho it looked like a beast of a card (PowerColor Red Devil RX480), it lacked the ability to oc. I'm glad I sold it and got the 1070 instead.

Well I pulled the trigger and flashed the 580 BIOS to my 480 and the results are... not dissapointing exactly. Highest clock I could hit with the 480 BIOS was 1400 with +50% Power Limit and +12mV on the core. When I originally dialed that in, I could loop Heaven just fine, but now I cannot finish it no matter how many volts I apply or take away. Here is the interesting part though... with the 580 BIOS I can hit 1425Mhz with less voltage and a lower temperature by about 5C. Not too shabby in my opinion.
The less than awesome part is that I cant keep 1425 stable. I just cant seem to dial it in and even though the majority of the time I am in the 1411-1420 range, I still get dips down to 1388 or so. Scratch that... -10mV gives me 1425 stable, but with artifacts. I still cant finish Heaven though. Games seem okay.

I might play around with this some more, but at the end of the day I think I might just go back to the regular BIOS to save myself enldess trial and error with the settings. It was interesting enough anyway, just thought I would share my results :)

Back