• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Get "Not secure" warnings in URL window when trying to load OC Forums in Mint

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

Get "Not secure" warnings in URL window when trying to load OC Forums in Mint

Not SecureI https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/781256-Mouse-rebrands

It also won't let me reply to threads unless I give it permission each time. Warning message something about "unsafe content." I have tried to fix this by entering the URL with a wild card (*.*) as an exception in browser settings but it doesn't help. Same issue in Firefox and Chromium.

Is there a way I can disable this warning for OC Forums?

I dont know the answer to this question but I have heard that this was newly implemented to identify sites that have usernames/passwords that do not use SSL

I just tried mint, 18.1, with all three faces and had issues booting into the os, the only cure was to install with out the lan cable being connected so I'm not going there.
I'm moving from ubuntu because they are adding things to the dash behind my back, like microsoft.
amazon, google stuff and the like.

I've seen some "Not secure" warnings before, is a browser issue, more so than a distro issue. no?

PS this laptop right now has Version 57.0.2987.133 (64-bit) of Google Chrome browser. Haven't gotten any warnings. But, I wonder if an older version of chromium-browser might have false warning issues.

Last edited:
I now have a fresh install of Ubuntu 17.04 on a desktop, and using Firefox (53.0,64 bit)there was in fact a "not secure" warning, while logging in to OCF. I installed Chrome(Version 58.0.3029.81 (64-bit)) and did not experience the not secure warning.

it's the drop down when you type in your user name and password, I get those with firefox all the time, annoying as all get out.

That article doesn't mention what's actually happening, though. The login form here (and on many other sites with the same "error") is submitted over HTTPS, not HTTP. The risk is that when the whole site is not HTTPS, somebody could MitM the page containing the form and modify it to submit your username and password somewhere else. All it takes is a Javascript listener on the submit button to copy it to another site, and if your browser doesn't warn you about CSRs, you'll never notice.

Last edited:

From the article:

Most major sites and services already use HTTPS for login connections, but every now and then you’ll come across a site that uses the insecure HTTP. When you do see an insecure login site, try typing https:// before the website name and hit Enter to see if that changes anything. Some sites do offer HTTPS connections but not by default

in my use, Firefox, but not Chrome.

Back