• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD X300 chipset support two M.2 NVMe in Raid 0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

davidst99

Hi, does the new AMD X300 chipset support two M.2 NVMe in Raid 0 for a boot drive? I would like to use one drive connected to the M.2 slot on the motherboard and the other drive would be connected to a x4 PCIe slot. Thank you.

David

Currently there are no boards that support 2xM.2 drives on the AMD side (I don't even know if there is from Intel). But yes a CPU can support multiple NVMe drives and do RAID off of the PCIe. Now It may be just limited to X370 boards for RAID compatibility with NVMe since it has the highest PCIe count.

There are plenty from intel.. z170 had a few, x99 several, and z270 plentiful as well. On the intel side, raiding ultra fast m.2 nvme drives is useless anyway since its saturating the dmi3.0 bus already with one and any other cpu overhead. Not sure how amd communications work however. Ive seen tests which barely improve anything in R0 on intel.

I would be surprised that you would unless you have a mobo that is designed to push the NVMe to the CPU. Like right now the system architecture is to go toward GPU<-->CPU not Storage<-->CPU. Server side, you would see a big difference.

I would be surprised that you would unless you have a mobo that is designed to push the NVMe to the CPU. Like right now the system architecture is to go toward GPU<-->CPU not Storage<-->CPU. Server side, you would see a big difference.
It goes through the chipset, yes. It is not directly connected to the CPU. Again that DMI3.0 to get there.

z270.png

Sorry.. OT there... :)

Sorry, you are correct. I live in a different world when it comes to Intel since I do server dev :D

Currently there are no boards that support 2xM.2 drives on the AMD side (I don't even know if there is from Intel). But yes a CPU can support multiple NVMe drives and do RAID off of the PCIe. Now It may be just limited to X370 boards for RAID compatibility with NVMe since it has the highest PCIe count.

Actually there are X370 boards with 2x M.2 but they're not supporting RAID. Here is link to ASRock Taichi with 2x M.2 - http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X370 Taichi/index.us.asp
I was counting on 2x M.2 in RAID on Ryzen to check if it has the same bandwidth limitations as Z270 but there is no RAID so I won't check it.
Intel boards with M.2 RAID are using additional "technology" to support that via BIOS and usually have to be disabled standard boot modes. On Ryzen there is no option so I doubt it will support any PCIE RAID.

Hi, I'm really sorry for the delay in responding. Based on the replies I'm not even going to attempt to do a RAID 0 with the NVMe drive. I thought their would be a large improvement but I guess I way off. Thanks.

David

You still get the capacity of the 2nd, presuming you needed it in order to buy it in the first place...

M.2 RAID is a waste on everything except X299 with additional cards where you can use more than 32Gbps transfers ( more than ~3.5GB/s constant transfer ). It's even better to use 2 separated SSD than make RAID0 just because performance won't be much lower and you won't lose all data in case of any RAID issues. RAID1 is waste of space on so expensive drives.

Is it disabled when you have something plugged in sata ports? Check your manual and see.

Also, m.2 is just a form factor. It matters if its nvme or sata as i said several posts ago. :)

Just out of the MOBO?????, I can do that, but tomorrow, I'm whipped bro. 55 yr. old carpenter. I'll do it , but maybe tomorrow. lol (Long hot day) ya feeling me?

Back