AMD X300 chipset support two M.2 NVMe in Raid 0

Hi, does the new AMD X300 chipset support two M.2 NVMe in Raid 0 for a boot drive? I would like to use one drive connected to the M.2 slot on the motherboard and the other drive would be connected to a x4 PCIe slot. Thank you.

David

I once overclocked an Intel
    in a nightmare and
    it was HORRIBLE Senior

OCF's Plaything
    Author Profile Benching Profile
    Currently there are no boards that support 2xM.2 drives on the AMD side (I don't even know if there is from Intel). But yes a CPU can support multiple NVMe drives and do RAID off of the PCIe. Now It may be just limited to X370 boards for RAID compatibility with NVMe since it has the highest PCIe count.
    (╯v)╯︵ ┻━┻
    currently has .2738428927348 internets
    be proud of the pink stars
    Last AMD Fanboy for Life
    ky = vaseline

Mutterator
    Overclockers.com Editor
    First Responders

Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    There are plenty from intel.. z170 had a few, x99 several, and z270 plentiful as well. On the intel side, raiding ultra fast m.2 nvme drives is useless anyway since its saturating the dmi3.0 bus already with one and any other cpu overhead. Not sure how amd communications work however. Ive seen tests which barely improve anything in R0 on intel.

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon

in a nightmare and
    it was HORRIBLE Senior

OCF's Plaything
    I would be surprised that you would unless you have a mobo that is designed to push the NVMe to the CPU. Like right now the system architecture is to go toward GPU<-->CPU not Storage<-->CPU. Server side, you would see a big difference.
    (╯v)╯︵ ┻━┻
    Last AMD Fanboy for Life
    ky = vaseline

Mutterator
    Overclockers.com Editor
    First Responders

Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolk View Post
    I would be surprised that you would unless you have a mobo that is designed to push the NVMe to the CPU. Like right now the system architecture is to go toward GPU<-->CPU not Storage<-->CPU. Server side, you would see a big difference.
    It goes through the chipset, yes. It is not directly connected to the CPU. Again that DMI3.0 to get there.

Name:  z270.png
Views: 27
Size:  176.5 KB

Sorry.. OT there...

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon

in a nightmare and
    it was HORRIBLE Senior

OCF's Plaything
    Sorry, you are correct. I live in a different world when it comes to Intel since I do server dev
    (╯v)╯︵ ┻━┻
    Last AMD Fanboy for Life
    ky = vaseline

Benching Team Leader
    Senior Memory Guru
    Premium Member #19

10 Year Badge
    Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile SETI Profile Rosetta Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolk View Post
    Currently there are no boards that support 2xM.2 drives on the AMD side (I don't even know if there is from Intel). But yes a CPU can support multiple NVMe drives and do RAID off of the PCIe. Now It may be just limited to X370 boards for RAID compatibility with NVMe since it has the highest PCIe count.
    Actually there are X370 boards with 2x M.2 but they're not supporting RAID. Here is link to ASRock Taichi with 2x M.2 - http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X370%20Taichi/index.us.asp
    I was counting on 2x M.2 in RAID on Ryzen to check if it has the same bandwidth limitations as Z270 but there is no RAID so I won't check it.
    Intel boards with M.2 RAID are using additional "technology" to support that via BIOS and usually have to be disabled standard boot modes. On Ryzen there is no option so I doubt it will support any PCIE RAID.

Hi, I'm really sorry for the delay in responding. Based on the replies I'm not even going to attempt to do a RAID 0 with the NVMe drive. I thought their would be a large improvement but I guess I way off. Thanks.

David