• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New member to the team R_Pierce

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
Well it's been a while but we have another victim of the rabbit hole we call benchmarking. Let's everyone give a warm welcome to R_Pierce, he's been very enthusiastic and will make a fine addition to our tem me thinks. Here's a little something I borrowed from Blay's sig and works to live by for us benchers that includes you R_Pierce
The Rodeo Clown Oath: I (insert name), do solemnly swear, to not let my Rig die of old age. I will burn it, fry it, freeze it, smash it and crash it til there is only ash and smoke.

welcome R_Pierce
we have a great bunch of people here, and great comaraderie
glad to have you join our group. I sadly am not very active these days. But try to help when I can

so who has that toilet brush ? ... eh, wrong section I guess :chair:

:welcome:

It is more like Straight Jacket in this section Woomack;)

Congrats on making the team though R_Pierce.

I suggest you start practicing looking in the mirror and keeping a straight face while uttering the words "No hunny my pile of crap didn't double in size overnight, I just rearranged it."

I suggest you start practicing looking in the mirror and keeping a straight face while uttering the words "No hunny my pile of crap didn't double in size overnight, I just rearranged it."

I usually go with the "What that? I bought that months ago. Don't you remember..." that's when she stops listening and I could literally say blah blah blah and would never know. Lol

On a serious note, congratulations Rodney on making the team. I look forward to seeing what you can do.

I usually go with the "What that? I bought that months ago. Don't you remember..." that's when she stops listening and I could literally say blah blah blah and would never know. Lol

On a serious note, congratulations Rodney on making the team. I look forward to seeing what you can do.
Fortunately (or unfortunately?) I pay mine monthly so don't have to worry about anyone telling me what I can, or can't buy [emoji23]

And I have a lot to learn, but look forward to the challenge! Currently trying to figure out how to get a bootable iso of any other OS but 10 to read so I can flash it on my other drive.

We have a couple good stripped down ISOs floating around if you look for them. Good old XP is great for some of the older benches, and can literally be gutted down to nearly nothing. W7 is probably the next best choice.

We have a couple good stripped down ISOs floating around if you look for them. Good old XP is great for some of the older benches, and can literally be gutted down to nearly nothing. W7 is probably the next best choice.

Problem is I cannot get the boot sequence to read the XP ISO

Humm, for W7 bootable USB needs to be NTFS format. For XP I am not 100% its either NTFS(probably) or FAT32. You must also mark the partition primary, active, bootable in disk management or the drive will not boot to install from. If you are doing a multi disk setup you can boot into W10 and launch the installer from there and target the second drive.

Another trick I like to use is to place the installer right on the SSD its going to be placed on. This give you the ability to fail out to a fresh install extremely quickly.

This is a snapshot of my main rig drive setup

drive management.jpg

I have 2 primary OS drives each has a 4Gb partition that is Primary, Active, Bootable and one also has the System flag set. At boot time SSD1 takes over and gives me 3 seconds to override default boot(directly into windows) to fall over to the "recovery" partition which can reinstall my clean OS in under 10 minutes. If I should need to get into the secondary OS drive I simply press F12 during post and select that SSD as the bootable target instead of the primary SSD.

I tried installing within windows 10, and it will not give me the install windows option. Its just grayed out.

And Im going to have to read through what you just wrote a time or two. ha.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, I should mention that Im using a bootable USB with the XP ISO on it.

Sorry, I should mention that Im using a bootable USB with the XP ISO on it.

Indeed I left info on how to do that. Now this may seem a silly question but you did extract the iso onto the drive right? Not just copy the whole file onto the USB?

Did a bit of googling on this couple notes I came across. Cannot be installed from USB 3.0 port. Motherboard in question must support legacy bios mode as XP does not support UEFI bios.

Otherwise it seems like it should go exactly the same as creating a bootable win 7 USB manually.

Delete current partition.
Create and format NTFS partition on USB device. Make sure to select primary partition.
Right click on newly created partition and click "mark partition as active"

There are other optional flags you can set but this should be the only ones required.

Lastly unpack your .iso file onto the USB drive and you should be good to go.

Pretty sure there is a thread or two on how to do this. It's been a few years but I know it's still out there. If I come across it I'll post a link here.

EDIT: Here's the program I use to make ISO USBdrives. It's the quickest and easiest way I've found.

http://www.isotousb.com/

Last edited:
Here's one I made that will get all your ISO's on one stick http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/770314-How-to-make-a-Multi-ISO-USB-drive USB 3 sticks work fine
When installing always go from oldest to newest XP>Vista>7>8>10 the newer bootloader usually always picks up the old OS partition. When installing set your partition (20GB or whatever size you like) during install of XP cause it's a pain to do afterwards.
Pretty sure funsoul and or swarthack had a source for download of all OS stripped/vanilla IIRC

Back