Benching Team Leader
    Super Moderator
    Benching Profile Folding Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile

New member to the team R_Pierce

Well it's been a while but we have another victim of the rabbit hole we call benchmarking. Let's everyone give a warm welcome to R_Pierce, he's been very enthusiastic and will make a fine addition to our tem me thinks. Here's a little something I borrowed from Blay's sig and works to live by for us benchers that includes you R_Pierce
    The Rodeo Clown Oath: I (insert name), do solemnly swear, to not let my Rig die of old age. I will burn it, fry it, freeze it, smash it and crash it til there is only ash and smoke.

Senior Moment Senior Member
    10 Year Badge
    welcome R_Pierce
    we have a great bunch of people here, and great comaraderie
    glad to have you join our group. I sadly am not very active these days. But try to help when I can
    if it screams, crank it. if it cries, kill it

Asrock Z97e-ITX
    I7 4790k
    Corsair Vengance Pro 2400 10-12-12-31
    Samsung 840 EVO 256gb SSD's
    MSI GTX970 gaming 4g
    Coolermaster V850 PSU
    Corsair Obsidian 250d
    LG Bluray burner

3. Thanks!

R_Pierce (04-20-17)

Benching Team Leader
    Senior Memory Guru
    Premium Member #19

10 Year Badge
    Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile SETI Profile Rosetta Profile
    so who has that toilet brush ? ... eh, wrong section I guess

5. Thanks!

R_Pierce (04-20-17)

Senior Pink Member
    Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Woomack View Post

It is more like Straight Jacket in this section Woomack

Congrats on making the team though R_Pierce.

I suggest you start practicing looking in the mirror and keeping a straight face while uttering the words "No hunny my pile of crap didn't double in size overnight, I just rearranged it."

7. Thanks!

R_Pierce (04-20-17)

Mutterator
    Overclockers.com Editor
    First Responders

Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    Welcome!!! Go get em!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Woomack View Post

Perfect section, novody will whine and complain here...

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon

Benching Profile
    Thanks guys!!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Overclockers mobile app
    MoBo: Asus Maximus IX Formula
    CPU: i7-7700k - 5.0 @ 1.385
    Ram: 16gb GSkill - 4000 19-19-19-39-2T
    GC: EVGA 1080 ti - +210 core / +450 memory / shunt mod
    PSU: EVGA 850 Gold
    Cooling: Custom Loop Water EK CPU/GPU (1 - 360 rad & 1 - 240 rad)

Senior Alien Cat Hunter
    Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Lochekey View Post
    I suggest you start practicing looking in the mirror and keeping a straight face while uttering the words "No hunny my pile of crap didn't double in size overnight, I just rearranged it."
    I usually go with the "What that? I bought that months ago. Don't you remember..." that's when she stops listening and I could literally say blah blah blah and would never know. Lol

On a serious note, congratulations Rodney on making the team. I look forward to seeing what you can do.
    The Rodeo Clown Oath: I Blaylock, do solemnly swear, to not let my Rig die of old age. I will burn it, fry it, freeze it, smash it and crash it til there is only ash and smoke. This I swear on this day 08/05/2014.

Project Freezer Burn | Project Man Cave! | Looking for the perfect case? | Bored of Gaming? Join the Benching Team!

Benching Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaylock View Post
    I usually go with the "What that? I bought that months ago. Don't you remember..." that's when she stops listening and I could literally say blah blah blah and would never know. Lol

On a serious note, congratulations Rodney on making the team. I look forward to seeing what you can do.
    Fortunately (or unfortunately?) I pay mine monthly so don't have to worry about anyone telling me what I can, or can't buy

And I have a lot to learn, but look forward to the challenge! Currently trying to figure out how to get a bootable iso of any other OS but 10 to read so I can flash it on my other drive.

Has slightly less legible writing
    than Thideras, Member
    10 Year Badge
    We have a couple good stripped down ISOs floating around if you look for them. Good old XP is great for some of the older benches, and can literally be gutted down to nearly nothing. W7 is probably the next best choice.
    Life is what you make of it, we exist for the sole purpose of existing. Dont waste the universe efforts!
    All statements, imagery, and ideas contained within any writings are merely retold tales of fictional acts by a figment of the universe imagination.

So your looking for an AMD FX motherboard, things you need to know. Whats the max safe temps/volts for an FX?

[SIZE="1"]Green Gorilla, CM 690-II nVidia, FX 8320, GTX 670, liquid cooled

Benching Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by ssjwizard View Post
    We have a couple good stripped down ISOs floating around if you look for them. Good old XP is great for some of the older benches, and can literally be gutted down to nearly nothing. W7 is probably the next best choice.
    Problem is I cannot get the boot sequence to read the XP ISO

than Thideras, Member
    10 Year Badge
    Humm, for W7 bootable USB needs to be NTFS format. For XP I am not 100% its either NTFS(probably) or FAT32. You must also mark the partition primary, active, bootable in disk management or the drive will not boot to install from. If you are doing a multi disk setup you can boot into W10 and launch the installer from there and target the second drive.

Another trick I like to use is to place the installer right on the SSD its going to be placed on. This give you the ability to fail out to a fresh install extremely quickly.

This is a snapshot of my main rig drive setup

Name:  drive management.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  162.4 KB

I have 2 primary OS drives each has a 4Gb partition that is Primary, Active, Bootable and one also has the System flag set. At boot time SSD1 takes over and gives me 3 seconds to override default boot(directly into windows) to fall over to the "recovery" partition which can reinstall my clean OS in under 10 minutes. If I should need to get into the secondary OS drive I simply press F12 during post and select that SSD as the bootable target instead of the primary SSD.
    Life is what you make of it, we exist for the sole purpose of existing. Dont waste the universe efforts!
    All statements, imagery, and ideas contained within any writings are merely retold tales of fictional acts by a figment of the universe imagination.

So your looking for an AMD FX motherboard, things you need to know. Whats the max safe temps/volts for an FX?

Benching Profile
    I tried installing within windows 10, and it will not give me the install windows option. Its just grayed out.

And Im going to have to read through what you just wrote a time or two. ha.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, I should mention that Im using a bootable USB with the XP ISO on it.

than Thideras, Member
    10 Year Badge
    Quote Originally Posted by R_Pierce View Post
    Sorry, I should mention that Im using a bootable USB with the XP ISO on it.
    Indeed I left info on how to do that. Now this may seem a silly question but you did extract the iso onto the drive right? Not just copy the whole file onto the USB?

Benching Profile
    I used a program to create a bootable, but I might just try extracting straight to the USB and see how that works.

than Thideras, Member
    10 Year Badge
    Did a bit of googling on this couple notes I came across. Cannot be installed from USB 3.0 port. Motherboard in question must support legacy bios mode as XP does not support UEFI bios.

Otherwise it seems like it should go exactly the same as creating a bootable win 7 USB manually.

Delete current partition.
    Create and format NTFS partition on USB device. Make sure to select primary partition.
    Right click on newly created partition and click "mark partition as active"

There are other optional flags you can set but this should be the only ones required.

Lastly unpack your .iso file onto the USB drive and you should be good to go.

Benching Profile
    That might be my issue! I think the USB I was attempting to use was a 3.0

Senior Alien Cat Hunter
    Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    Pretty sure there is a thread or two on how to do this. It's been a few years but I know it's still out there. If I come across it I'll post a link here.

EDIT: Here's the program I use to make ISO USBdrives. It's the quickest and easiest way I've found.

http://www.isotousb.com/
    Last edited by Blaylock; 04-21-17 at 05:59 AM.
    The Rodeo Clown Oath: I Blaylock, do solemnly swear, to not let my Rig die of old age. I will burn it, fry it, freeze it, smash it and crash it til there is only ash and smoke. This I swear on this day 08/05/2014.

Project Freezer Burn | Project Man Cave! | Looking for the perfect case? | Bored of Gaming? Join the Benching Team!

Benching Team Leader
    Super Moderator
    Benching Profile Folding Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile
    Here's one I made that will get all your ISO's on one stick http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...-ISO-USB-drive USB 3 sticks work fine
    When installing always go from oldest to newest XP>Vista>7>8>10 the newer bootloader usually always picks up the old OS partition. When installing set your partition (20GB or whatever size you like) during install of XP cause it's a pain to do afterwards.
    Pretty sure funsoul and or swarthack had a source for download of all OS stripped/vanilla IIRC

22. Thanks!

Blaylock (04-21-17), EarthDog (04-21-17), R_Pierce (04-21-17)

Benching Team Leader
    Buckeye Moderator
    10 Year Badge
    Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    Welcome aboard!
    Haswell Benching and Gaming: ASRock Z87 OC Formula : Intel i7 4770k w/ Phanteks PH-TC14 : 16GB 4x4GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2666 : MSI GTX 1080 Gaming Z
    Other Components: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD : 2TB Hitachi 7200rpm : Seasonic Platinum 1000W : 3x1440p: Asus MG279q, Auria EQ276W, Crossover P27Q

Folding User Stats

24. Thanks!

R_Pierce (04-21-17)