• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooling question regard: Radiator, water flow route

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Droidene

Registered
I have never built a watercooling PC, but dying to build one in my next PC build.
So iv come here to ask you guys for help.

I have seen a lot of youtube about watercooling and i like what i see, yes it cost but something i always wanted to do.

I have drawn a rough picture of things I think works, so it's nice if you look at it and tell me if there something wrong with it and why.

I have understood that there are two types of radiator as standard and x-flow.
In the drawing I have drawn up x-flow but are not sure if they are any good as the water flows only one way.
As you can see, the blue arrow show where water flows. Iv heard never cross tubing so that why i did this way in a circle.
You may ask why two radiator? one might work also.. but with two radiator you can then put lower RPM fans to reduce noise. (that what i think, tell me if im wrong)

And yea, im new to this forum and hi to you all :)

watercooling.png

Loop order doesnt matter so long as your res is before the pump. Temperatures inside a properly flowing and has enough radiator loop, dont vary by more than 1-2C.

Loop order doesnt matter so long as your res is before the pump. Temperatures inside a properly flowing and has enough radiator loop, dont vary by more than 1-2C.

Okey, so your saying the picture iv drawn would work just fine?
Regard reservoir / Pump.. i see there two kind.. all in one or two seperate (reservoir and pump), thinking about going for "all-in-one" as i think their good enough.
There a lot types, not sure wich or what should i look for.

Okey, so your saying the picture iv drawn would work just fine?
Regard reservoir / Pump.. i see there two kind.. all in one or two seperate (reservoir and pump), thinking about going for "all-in-one" as i think their good enough.
There a lot types, not sure wich or what should i look for.

yes, that will work fine. I just built my first system here a month or so ago, and common consensus was to make the tubing/loop as short as possible. IE: Connect whatever is closest together as long as the res is before the pump. And using an AIO pump/res you wont have to worry about that.

:welcome: to OCFs.

To me, your drawing looks good. A cleaner manageable space is always great, especially for air flow.

Can I ask, from the drawing, are you trying to accomplish a ideal loop you're aiming for or this in a particular case? Some more info on the hardware you'll be using and case would help.

:welcome: to OCFs.

To me, your drawing looks good. A cleaner manageable space is always great, especially for air flow.

Can I ask, from the drawing, are you trying to accomplish a ideal loop you're aiming for or this in a particular case? Some more info on the hardware you'll be using and case would help.

Thanks.
Yea you could say that, im trying to aim for a ideal loop or at least a correct loop (if there any).
But in the drawing iv put up a X-flow radiator and im not sure about them, they are difference from normal one in both how water flow trough them and fitting hole(Placement).
My first tough was good placment, but then discover that these x-flow flow 1 time while all other normal flow twice (Back and forward hence the same fitting hole placment)

For the hardware i have not yet decided, either go for i7 7700k / 1080 GPU or wait for Coffey 14nm / Z370 and stuff.

For the case i think Fractal Design Define S (Black) would be perfect for this.

I did my build in a define S. It worked out great! Ill supply a link as to not clutter up your thread here.

And on the crossflow, there is nothing wrong with using a standard rad also. You can just loop the two radiators together. Take a look at my loop. It works great!

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/781246-First-custom-loop-build!

- - - Updated - - -

And, I will say that my next build will be in a full tower. This was my first mid tower build, and the room of working in a full tower is so much nicer. Now, with that said, once everything was done, it looks amazing in the Define S. Maybe I was just spoiled with having ample room to work in a full tower? Im not sure.

I did my build in a define S. It worked out great! Ill supply a link as to not clutter up your thread here.

And on the crossflow, there is nothing wrong with using a standard rad also. You can just loop the two radiators together. Take a look at my loop. It works great!

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/781246-First-custom-loop-build!

- - - Updated - - -

And, I will say that my next build will be in a full tower. This was my first mid tower build, and the room of working in a full tower is so much nicer. Now, with that said, once everything was done, it looks amazing in the Define S. Maybe I was just spoiled with having ample room to work in a full tower? Im not sure.

Thanks for providing me a link to your build.
Congratz on your build, i like the front and how you cut it off.. gave me idea.

And hm yea i already see that my drawing crash abit, doesnt look like the 240mm would fit in the back of case.
I kind of understand you now, the full tower might be even better. i plan to go for hardtubing, yikes... gonna have to buy a little extra to try/fail couple times :p

@Droidene,

Hey there!
It seems I am not the only one using XFlow rads.

I am doing this build with them:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/780044-BUILD-LOG-Water-Box-Inferno

The benefit I found is to minimize the number of connections or make them shorter.
If I use regular rad the "circular" design would make one leg short and the other one crossing the whole rad extention to reach the next component in the line.

But I took the time to sketch up both alternatives to test the theory.
Did you try to draw your setup with regular rads to have a feeling of what your pipe runs would look like?

M

And hm yea i already see that my drawing crash abit, doesnt look like the 240mm would fit in the back of case.

I was going to ask what case do you have that will fit a 240 in the back. I'm not sure if even a Mountain Mods case will and that sucker can be built for a lot of rads.

@Droidene,

Hey there!
It seems I am not the only one using XFlow rads.

I am doing this build with them:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/780044-BUILD-LOG-Water-Box-Inferno

The benefit I found is to minimize the number of connections or make them shorter.
If I use regular rad the "circular" design would make one leg short and the other one crossing the whole rad extention to reach the next component in the line.

But I took the time to sketch up both alternatives to test the theory.
Did you try to draw your setup with regular rads to have a feeling of what your pipe runs would look like?

M

Yea making it shorter what i found x-flow usefull..tough i havent drawed with regular rads yet.
I will make a new drawing based on regular rads to see if that help.. i also need to change place of that 240mm rads...shrugs.

I'll try tomorrow and sketch up something based on that fractal Design Define "S", well see what i end up with.

About your build, ough sorry for GPU danged in your case (Too long), :S a wb would fix it i assume.

- - - Updated - - -

I was going to ask what case do you have that will fit a 240 in the back. I'm not sure if even a Mountain Mods case will and that sucker can be built for a lot of rads.

Hehe yea, weird i didn't see that until last night.. hm, will need to make a new drawing. :)

I think you should find the case you like with the parts you're looking to use and start from there. Would bring it more to life than the guessing game because you might end up going with another case with a slightly different design.

Check out dazmode on YouTube has a water-cooling online e store in canada also. I know he sells these and has review xflows pretty sure it's wasn't a notable difference in temperature.

Made a few changes, iv draw a new image based on that Fractal Design Define "S" and simple changes the 240 down to 140.
Like this:
watercooling2.png

Just an example, doesnt looks so bad.. could work. or simple take away the 140mm and just go with top rads and add stronger fans in it.

Most leave the rear for exhaust. We used to put rads back there but it's usually a tight fit and adding more points of failure isn't a good idea. I think a top and front rad is more ideal while using the X-Flow rads. I'd personally go with a 320 up front and a 240 up top but I've seen some builds with this case with the 320 up top and 240 on the front so I guess it will work either way. Just do some measurements and see if its possible to put the res/pump between the front rad and the GPU/MB or at least have a look at some other builds.

Last edited:
This setup is going to be 100% dependent on clearing the mobo with the top rad/fan setup. I ended up having to move my 360 to the front, and move the 240 to the top because it would not clear the VRM heat sink on my MoBo. So just keep that option open, and in mind.

Thanks for feedback, i love discussing errors, tip and trick.. you can never discuss too much in order to make it perfect.
Iv googled "Fractal Design Define S watercooled and found a lot images of builds.... saw couple images and a build with 360 rad on top and 240 in front, but he had much ticker rads.. like 45mm(regular rads) still he had space for reservoir just like my drawing.
Same goes for top rads he still had space for his memory / mobos .. well perhap it looked like abit tight.. but since im going for 30mm i think it will be just fine.

So, iv draw a new example.. kinda weird feeling going from rads to rads before heading to CPU / GPU, but look like what console did.
Just im a little worry about how fan blow direction should do in the front , doesnt look correct to me.

Sooo, here are my new drawing:
watercooling4.png

Thanks for feedback, i love discussing errors, tip and trick.. you can never discuss too much in order to make it perfect.
Iv googled "Fractal Design Define S watercooled and found a lot images of builds.... saw couple images and a build with 360 rad on top and 240 in front, but he had much ticker rads.. like 45mm(regular rads) still he had space for reservoir just like my drawing.
Same goes for top rads he still had space for his memory / mobos .. well perhap it looked like abit tight.. but since im going for 30mm i think it will be just fine.

So, iv draw a new example.. kinda weird feeling going from rads to rads before heading to CPU / GPU, but look like what console did.
Just im a little worry about how fan blow direction should do in the front , doesnt look correct to me.

Sooo, here are my new drawing:
View attachment 190511

Yea I did to but I like to think of it this way It is a pre chiller for my big rad . So most of the heat would dump out the top of my case , then hit the second rad that blows in . less heat dumped into the case its self .
(thats how I justifed it my self . ) Next time I have spare cash I plan on some 90deg and 45 deg fittings to clean the looks up . That will probably happen this summer with I put in a 1080 on water .

Again, temps within a loop dont vary by kore than 1-2C... loop order doesnt matter. You arent dumping out (measureably) more heat like that... :)

Back