• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

got a new 1080 today....... why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I game on 2 dell ultra sharp 1080x1920 monitors and use a few kits of cards.
I use 760's in sli, 970's in sli, 980's in sli and 980TI's in sli and today i got my first 1080 in and fired it up.
guess what.......... except for the 760's it's the same and just might be a good bit behind the 980TI's and turning a few things down the 760's are more than up to the job.
so' if you have 970's in sli you might as well sit tight and if you have a single 980TI, just wait a while.
I don't know about your life but, in mine I just don't have time to obsess about fps, i only have enough free time to grab some brain fuel, fire up a rig, throw on the head phones and escape the day to day world for a few minutes.
and yes, i do have rift but, with the derth of games and the headset not fitting my glasses so well, it can just collect dust in the junk pile with all my am3+ stuff.
the one saving grace for the card is when games don't support sli and a couple that I enjoy don't so I'll soon find out.

Well the conclusion you came to is about what I would have expected to see given the numerous reviews that came out at the launch of the 1080, especially for a 1080p screen -- games that fully take advantage of SLI will beat the single 1080 is most circumstances from a SLI'd 980/980ti+. The other benefits of a 1080 would be -- less power draw (thus less heat to dissipate), more available memory, and no fear of hunting down drivers and paying attention to when/if SLI drivers eventually come out and the issues inherent to that.

Thank god I read this tonight because I have a 1080 in my newegg basket and was about to pull the trigger with my tax return money. My two 980's are great but recently a lot of games have been poorly optimized for SLI which doesn't make sense since we see more high resolution monitors and refresh rates.

I do love the sexy look of two gpus.

Well the conclusion you came to is about what I would have expected to see given the numerous reviews that came out at the launch of the 1080, especially for a 1080p screen -- games that fully take advantage of SLI will beat the single 1080 is most circumstances from a SLI'd 980/980ti+. The other benefits of a 1080 would be -- less power draw (thus less heat to dissipate), more available memory, and no fear of hunting down drivers and paying attention to when/if SLI drivers eventually come out and the issues inherent to that.
couldnt have said it better. Spare yourself the little time you have in buying these things by looking at reviews first. Or, as i prefer, a single card anyway. Maybe sell all your "kits" and go 1080ti and never look back.

after getting a little carried away last night I think I might have found out why, microstutter.
I thought I had worked out all of the stutter in my 980TI setup but, playing them back to back there is still some in that rig.
is there always some in sli that you can't smooth out?

Pretty much, I forgot to mention that in my benefits/notes that make a single-card solution better than SLI.

Thank god I read this tonight because I have a 1080 in my newegg basket and was about to pull the trigger with my tax return money. My two 980's are great but recently a lot of games have been poorly optimized for SLI which doesn't make sense since we see more high resolution monitors and refresh rates.

I do love the sexy look of two gpus.

I like the looks of sli/crossfire a lot, that's why I'll go through the pain.
I'm going to have to wait for another 1080 to show up in the classies, I'll chuck a 760 in each rig and point phys-x at them.
if you're having to save your lunch money to get the 1080 and you don't notice the microstutter I'd stand pat for the time.
(which, come to think of it, I am, had to expand the business and foregoing my pay for three yrears to pay the debt off quicker)
if I had not bought the 1080 I would have never known.

Last edited:
many sexy peanutbudder, but it really looks like the newer cards will kill sli, other than higher res and 144mgz refresh rates.

Overclock it if you haven't yet...she'll do 2100+ MHz sustained for whatever you throw at her!

The 1080 really shines above 1080p. While I like the looks of SLI systems, it seems as though SLI is going the way of the dodo and not getting that much support. (I have 2 Titan X Pascals in my main rig with the SLI connector, but only use the second card for folding as 1 drives 4 K nicely!)

cards.PNG
where is NVidia control panel with driver 381.65?
I found my 1060 collecting dust on the shelf and want to point phys-x to it.

I'm still figuring out what it does and what to do with it, clocking it will come.

Last edited:
In Windows 10 it's in the task bar on the bottom right. Or in Windows 10 you can right click on the desktop.

Only 1721 MHz? Come on - overclock it! You'll get at least 15% more! Hehe.

Also - if you download EVGA Precision XOC, you can change the LED colors!

Another cool thing you can do with the 10xx series cards is have the card render at a higher resolution, and display at your monitor resolution. Better picture, and a fraction of the horsepower running AA. You can set this up through the NVIDIA control panel.

I'm having black screen fun, let me try to get this worked out first.

I moved it to my single 2560x1440 monitor and it wont boot with the 1080 and 1060 in it now, let me putz about a bit with it.

no nvidia control panel anywhere, with just the 1080 powered, it'll boot, it'll run heaven, dx9, real crudgy and score 2600, time for a fresh driver install.

cards.PNG

reinstalled driver from safe mode with ddu, reinstalled, express mode and got control panel and everything back, ran heaven, dx11 on the 180 by itself, all ran fine.
powered the 1060 started heaven, dx9, black screen with music in the head phones, shut down, replaced the 8 pin pcie cable for the 1060 (because I'm lazy), rebooted and running fine.

heaven.PNG

ok, gpu-z says i'm boosting to 2114.
NVidia control panel automagicly points phy-x to the 1060.
what's next?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back