• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Total Noob] Overclocking 7700K - Where to begin?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

godless3

So I built this system and want to do a general use basic overclock, I have extensive computer experience but have never overclocked before

CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K
Motherboard: ASUS Strix Z270E
RAM: 16GB G. Skill Trident Z 3000MHz (8GBx2)
Cooler: Corsair H100iv2
GPU: EVGA GTX1080 SC
SSD: Samsung 960Evo Pro m.2 500GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda Pro 6TB
PSU: EVGA G3 Supernova 650W
Case: NZXT S340 Elite

I used the Asus EZ tuner which gives me these values in ROG CPU-Z:

7rZDoUx.png

I'm just having a feeling the voltage on that is a bit too high. I ran AIDA64 for an hour (Stress mode) and my average temps were 67-70 C although I saw max temps of around 81-82 C on some cores. My CPU idles at 35 C with that overclock.

Can anyone help please?

First, in addition to CPU-z which you already have installed, download and install HWMonitor and OCCT (a stress testing program). HWMonitor gives a lot detailed information about current, maximum and minimum voltages. Whenever you overclock you need monitor maximum package temp while stress testing for stability.

Second, to your posted image of the CPU-z screen tab, please add images of the "Memory" and the "SPD" tab.

Third, your core VID 1.359 looks like it might be higher than needed to get to 4.7 ghz. Tuner Wizards and Genies like EZ Tune usually assign more volts than necessary and often also unnecessarily down clock the memory. Disable EZ Tune.

Fourth, go into bios and reset all values to "optimized defaults." Usually this can be done with one of the "F" keys, F7 maybe.

Then go into the Overclock Tweaker's tab and set the overclock mode to manual and for "all cores." Increase the default core ratio multiplier by a 1X increment. Set the memory frequency to "XMP."

Open HWMonitor on the desktop.

After each 1x increment increase, stress test for 20 minutes with OCCT (Large Data set). Observe package temps. You want them to stay under 90c maximum during stress testing. Repeat this process until your core ratio is too high on stock voltage to pass the 20 minute OCCT stress test.

Add .01 to the CPU core voltage (what we call "vcore") and repeat the stress test. Add more core voltage if you need to in order to pass the stress test. As you climb higher in the overclock, each increment of CPU speed increase will require more voltage to get stable or package temps get too high (90c max). You will reach a point where either voltage or temps become too high for safety.

Conventional wisdom is that for 24/7 running, a 1.4 vcore is the max safe amount.

When you hit either the max temp or voltage wall, increase the OCCT stress test time to 3 hr. If you can't pass the three hour test, back down on the core ratio one notch and retest. That should give you your max overclock.

We don't really recommend the Auto tuners. Typically they set the voltage too high and some will drop your ram speed. I would clear it out so it won't apply an OC at startup. Go to BIOS and set defaults, then reboot. Then I would set the XMP and reboot again to BIOS. At this point try setting 1.3V manually and the x47 multiplier. Boot to windows. If it doesn't boot you'll need more voltage if it does then try a stability test.

Thanks for your help. I enabled XMP through my BIOS, it's very visible in "EZ Mode". When I did this it asked me if I also wanted to enable "Core boost optimisation" - I chose yes and exited (the no option said "do not enable [intel stock]". When I reset back to defaults, should I do it this way or via the advanced mode?

- - - Updated - - -

First, in addition to CPU-z which you already have installed, download and install HWMonitor and OCCT (a stress testing program). HWMonitor gives a lot detailed information about current, maximum and minimum voltages. Whenever you overclock you need monitor maximum package temp while stress testing for stability.

Second, to your posted image of the CPU-z screen tab, please add images of the "Memory" and the "SPD" tab.

Third, your core VID 1.359 looks like it might be higher than needed to get to 4.7 ghz. Tuner Wizards and Genies like EZ Tune usually assign more volts than necessary and often also unnecessarily down clock the memory. Disable EZ Tune.

Fourth, go into bios and reset all values to "optimized defaults." Usually this can be done with one of the "F" keys, F7 maybe.

Then go into the Overclock Tweaker's tab and set the overclock mode to manual and for "all cores." Increase the default core ratio multiplier by a 1X increment. Set the memory frequency to "XMP."

Open HWMonitor on the desktop.

After each 1x increment increase, stress test for 20 minutes with OCCT (Large Data set). Observe package temps. You want them to stay under 90c maximum during stress testing. Repeat this process until your core ratio is too high on stock voltage to pass the 20 minute OCCT stress test.

Add .01 to the CPU core voltage (what we call "vcore") and repeat the stress test. Add more core voltage if you need to in order to pass the stress test. As you climb higher in the overclock, each increment of CPU speed increase will require more voltage to get stable or package temps get too high (90c max). You will reach a point where either voltage or temps become too high for safety.

Conventional wisdom is that for 24/7 running, a 1.4 vcore is the max safe amount.

When you hit either the max temp or voltage wall, increase the OCCT stress test time to 3 hr. If you can't pass the three hour test, back down on the core ratio one notch and retest. That should give you your max overclock.

Thanks for the post. I will upload images of the SPD and Memory tabs when I get back home. I'm just wondering - does this process damage the hardware in any way ie. failing stress tests?

You won't hurt anything except Windows. Use F5 for defaults in BIOS but you'll need to reset your XMP if you do it now.

We don't really recommend the Auto tuners. Typically they set the voltage too high and some will drop your ram speed. I would clear it out so it won't apply an OC at startup. Go to BIOS and set defaults, then reboot. Then I would set the XMP and reboot again to BIOS. At this point try setting 1.3V manually and the x47 multiplier. Boot to windows. If it doesn't boot you'll need more voltage if it does then try a stability test.

So I went into advanced mode and manually enabled XMP and overclocked with a multiplier of 48, core voltage 1.30 and adaptive power management after getting help from someone. Here's what my CPU-Z looks like now. I ran AIDA64 for 2 hours and my average temps were 63 C with average Vcore of 1.295.

Does this look right?

GxvQ3LF.png
AnWjkzY.png
3viX2nP.png

Looks great, good job.:)

Thanks. Now to consider overclocking my GPU - I've got a 1080 but it's apparently performing in the 18th percentile according to userbenchmark. It's an EVGA GTX 1080 SC - no idea why! All my components are top notch so this is very unexpected.

Thanks. Now to consider overclocking my GPU - I've got a 1080 but it's apparently performing in the 18th percentile according to userbenchmark. It's an EVGA GTX 1080 SC - no idea why! All my components are top notch so this is very unexpected.

chances are most are overclocked.

chances are most are overclocked.

Do it frame Lord overkill gpu thing that is. 1060 is monster to me let alone that thing, screamer with 920 at 4.4 1.4v see if this one dies hitting 80-85c it didn't lock at that yet wow.

godless3, I would not feel comfortable with a mere 2 hr. of AIDA64 as a final stress test. AIDA64 is not particularly demanding as a stress test. I would run it overnight but also try 3 hr. of OCCT Large Data set. At 4.7 and 1.3 vcore it looks like you might have one more notch of overclock in that CPU if you want to try a higher vcore. Most feel your vcore is safe up to 1.4 for 24/7.

godless3, I would not feel comfortable with a mere 2 hr. of AIDA64 as a final stress test. AIDA64 is not particularly demanding as a stress test. I would run it overnight but also try 3 hr. of OCCT Large Data set. At 4.7 and 1.3 vcore it looks like you might have one more notch of overclock in that CPU if you want to try a higher vcore. Most feel your vcore is safe up to 1.4 for 24/7.

Agree. I can stress at 1.35, 5 ghz and no AVX offset with everything including IBT no problem. But, OCCT will puke in less than 10 min. In fact I haven't been able to get stable at 5.0 without -3 AVX offset if I'm testing with OCCT.

Most feel your vcore is safe up to 1.4 for 24/7.

Are other users from the 6000, 5000 and 4000 series CPUs experiencing degradation over the years from 1.4? I would think anything over 1.3 is going to have a long term stability issue and you're going to have to bump the vcore even more after several months or a year.

Oh God, here we go again with wingman. They list that at stock clock speeds, that 1.44v is safe. Do not push your 5.2ghz chip to 1.44 volts 24/7

1.44v from Asus 24/7 comes from the motherboard review kit that EarthDog reviewed, ask him.

Stock specifications is 1.52v at 100 Amps = 152 watts maximum from Intel.

View attachment 190659
View attachment 190660

That is from the Intel technical manual on the 7600k, not Asus, and there are other threads on this forum which speak to what that's talking about, one of which you posted in. They are not claiming 1.52v is safe 24/7 at overclocked speeds.

Back