• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Secure FTP client?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

Anybody have a favorite one for Windows?

Need one for work, and the usual client I use isn't connecting, but it is also about 13 years old at this point.

I think you need to add it, and it may be a part of RSAT (admin tools), but I recall running it natively using iis in Windows. Used it alot to push and pull configs from Cisco devices.

Atleast I did on Win7, it's been a while [emoji14]

I've been using FileZilla for years and it works quite well.

The place that insists on sharing files this way says to NOT use FileZilla. :bang head

(This is a comment on working with customers, not your suggestion. If they are this worried about their security, why don't they send their part drawings via courier delivered USB stick.)

Edit: Finally got a reply after a couple of days. They say WinSCP works with their FTP server. Downloading and trying it.

Last edited:
Im curious why WinSCP is any better than Filezilla? As far as I know they are both just front ends sftp (ftp + ssh)?

Im not trying to butt in or cause problems with the client, just generally curious

Im curious why WinSCP is any better than Filezilla? As far as I know they are both just front ends sftp (ftp + ssh)?

Im not trying to butt in or cause problems with the client, just generally curious

I don't know. Their initial instructions said that Filezilla would not work with their FTP server. I haven't tried it to say if they were correct or not. WinSCP did work and we got the files that we needed. A different client I tried hung up at authentication.

It just would have been nice if they had mentioned the client they wanted us to use the first time.

Thanks!

Let me preface this by saying "I don't have a clue what Im talking about" but....

Sftp is sftp no matter how you do it? Cmd or various clients? Runs on "x" port and encrypts with ssh? Maybe Ill use this here 'puter-box to look that up later :)

Let me preface this by saying "I don't have a clue what Im talking about" but....

Sftp is sftp no matter how you do it? Cmd or various clients? Runs on "x" port and encrypts with ssh? Maybe Ill use this here 'puter-box to look that up later :)
I was thinking the encryption standards supported. Not all sftps are created equal.

There is no "secure FTP". There are FTPS and SFTP. You need to know which one you're using :)

SFTP = FTP over SSH
FTPS = FTP over SSL

Back