• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD RYZEN Overclocking Guide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

The time is finally here, AMD has launched a game changing CPU with incredible leaps in performance compared to their previous FX CPU line. My intention here is to aid you in leveraging just a bit more out of the AMD Ryzen CPU. One great thing that AMD carried forward is that all Ryzen CPUs have unlocked multipliers, this alone makes life easier when it comes to overclocking.

The guide will be split into sections describing the Ryzen CPU itself, the tools you'll need to get a proper OC, and different approaches to attaining the final results. It is important to note that maximum clock speeds are very dependent on many factors: processor, motherboard, and cooling method all play a large part in the final results and even with the exact same parts your results will vary.

Click here to view the article.

How can these Ryzen compare clock for clock with current intel perf per mhz?
I ask because im seeing excitement at 3.8ghz which i can only assume is because of some serious performance per clock gains ..
considering intels been near 4.8-5ghz on good air/water cooling for a while now.

Im not trying to start anything here just trying to wrap my head around it. I assume it is similar to when intel went from p4 to core 2 duo's

I ask because im seeing excitement at 3.8ghz which i can only assume is because of some serious performance per clock gains ..
considering intels been near 4.8-5ghz on good air/water cooling for a while now.

Im not trying to start anything here just trying to wrap my head around it. I assume it is similar to when intel went from p4 to core 2 duo's
They are slightly under Intel as far as IPC goes. They are limited on the OC side, but overall, leaps and bounds better than the FXs.

Their FX chips were pretty decent in that arena but Ryzen looks to be a beast.

I have an AMD FX-8305 cpu, which runs decently enough for the price. My only issue is that it runs way too hot for my liking. Upgrading to the Ryzen soon enough.

There's a significant performance increase with Ryzen

They have put a lot of execution resource in Ryzen cores, with the notable exception of AVX2. With the caution "it depends on the task", in general a single Ryzen core can have more potential than a modern Intel one, but it is not usable by a single thread. If you run two threads on one core, Ryzen can pull ahead.

Hi,

I can't seem to adjust my memory clock in ryzen master. It's grayed out. Not sure if it's my computer cause im using dell 15675 computer.

It wouldn't surprise me that the memory is locked in BIOS. Ryzen had issues with memory at launch and still does with certain types. DELL would want to keep control on that so your PC would stay stable.

It wouldn't surprise me that the memory is locked in BIOS. Ryzen had issues with memory at launch and still does with certain types. DELL would want to keep control on that so your PC would stay stable.
Can I unlock thru the bios?

I haven't touched the bios yet as I was hoping I'll go the easy way with ryzen master app

Can I unlock thru the bios?

I haven't touched the bios yet as I was hoping I'll go the easy way with ryzen master app
I concur with Johan, it's doubtful you will have any control of overclocking CPU or RAM on an OEM pc, most BIOS are locked on OEM Pc's.

Back