• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Audio issues with Astro A50s/Asus DX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rydis

I have an Asus DX paired with the Gen 3 Astro A50s.

Been having audio issues with them since installation. When I connect these via the optical from the sound card, I get a lot of pops when doing certain things. Like if I exit a page with youtube and the sound stops, it will pop. Or if I start a program and you get the admin pop up with the sound affect, the audio pops before it plays the sound. Start a game like overwatch, it will pop before starting. But it will never do this after. Only before I start something..or exit something. Also, when playing videos or music, if I pause, it will take 1-2 seconds before it actually starts playing audio. It will pop, go mute for this period..then play just fine until im done.

This only happens over optical. Not over USB. This did not happen with the A40s (though they were wired) with the same DX card, and I have had this happen of 3 different A50s sets.

If I go play music or a movie, it plays fine. If I go into playback device and I test the sound from optical, it doesn't come through usually. it will cut in and out..be a little staticy, throughout the entire test. So this poping sound seems very related to windows sounds only. I have tried various optical cords, as well as optical->3.5mm adapaters.

Test and all sound are fine over the USB audio.

If I try to record audio via a program, then the audio it captures is fine, and isn't the same audio issues I hear through the headphones.

However, USB audio doesn't have Dolby Digital Live.

Any ideas?

Sounds like it doesn't handle sample rate changes very well. Maybe ask the manufacturer if there's a firmware update to fix that?

The headphones. It appears to use Wifi Direct similar to what Nvidia used for the first generation Shield TV. A possible workaround is to resample all content, which audiophiles tend to dislike.

Grasping at straws - but have you returned your system to stock (your sig indicates you're overclocked) to see if the problem continues?

Once upon a time when I overclocked I would have occasional glitches like this, especially with audio. When I got more serious about home recording I stopped overclocking because of it. Times have chnaged and systems seem more tolerant now than they used to be, but I would imagine random glitchy behavior otherwise unexplained could still be traced back to pushing components out of their specification.

The headphones. It appears to use Wifi Direct similar to what Nvidia used for the first generation Shield TV. A possible workaround is to resample all content, which audiophiles tend to dislike.

they tell me to not use optical, but to use USB only.

I have ALC1150..but I dont think any of the realtek drivers actually do dolby digital live over usb? And all of the options in realtek digital are only supported by optical or S/PDIF. USB is pointless isn't it?

Grasping at straws - but have you returned your system to stock (your sig indicates you're overclocked) to see if the problem continues?

Once upon a time when I overclocked I would have occasional glitches like this, especially with audio. When I got more serious about home recording I stopped overclocking because of it. Times have chnaged and systems seem more tolerant now than they used to be, but I would imagine random glitchy behavior otherwise unexplained could still be traced back to pushing components out of their specification.

System in sig is no longer what I use..haven't updated it in forever.

Back