• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIOS vcore mod for GTX1070?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SPL Tech

I am wondering if there is a BIOS mod out there yet to allow for higher than 1.09vcore on the 1070s. That really low voltage cap is totally killing the overclock potential of the card. These guys should be hitting 2400+.

No one? Come on, using the stock voltage to overclock isint really overclocking at all! This is an overclocking forum, I would think using a BIOS mod to get some legit voltage would be priority #1 for any legit overclocker.

The only BIOS mod I've done is to flash the Limited Edition BIOS from Galax on my HOF. It raised base/boost clocks but I don't think it touched voltage. From what I've read around OCF there isn't much, if any, gains to be had from those chips. They are able to go about to their limit out of the box.

BIOS doesn't fully lock down Nvidia cards. Yeah with good BIOS you can add a bit of extra room, but it actually comes down to their power circuit design. Its very hard limited, and usually requires some moding to allow higher potential. At least my limited experience with the 10XX series.

If you have a reference card you could try other BIOS from techpower's database. See if one of those has loser vControl

Also, it doesn't hurt to reach out to TiN on Kingpin's site. He will sometimes show you how to unlock Nvidia cards further.

I agree. I've been trying to find a bios mod to raise the voltage on my 1070, but to no avail. Your best bet is a hardmod.

Do I have a video for you !
I will find it is a reversible shunt mod to trick the resistance of a chip letting you have access to more vcore.

Do I have a video for you !
I will find it is a reversible shunt mod to trick the resistance of a chip letting you have access to more vcore.

That only increases the power target, but the card is still limited to 1.09vcore which is the main problem. Power target is not the problem because I cant even get to +112% power as the stock voltage offers almost no overclocking potential. All I can get is +50 MHZ with 1.09v. Is there a hard mod for increasing the voltage to the 1.25v limit allowed by Nvidia? That's the main thing limiting 10xx cards, it's a lack of voltage. The driver just doesent allow much in the way of increasing voltage.

There is nothing you can currently do to the pascal line of GPU's for BIOS as far as voltage increase. You can shunt mod to make sure it runs at the top rated voltage by effectively lowering the TDP (so 1.093 volts)

You will have to hard mod the card.

1.09V is enough to reach 2200 if you have good card and good cooling. There are no soft voltage mods for these cards. Usually power target is limiting factor, not the voltage. If your card runs on ambient temps then higher voltage won't help you much anyway.

Even if you see there is still couple of % available in power limit then all this nvidia boost is limiting max clock. Once you lower temps then card will start to boost higher, once you unlock additional power limit then card will boost higher.
At the end it can be like higher voltage = higher temps = lower boost ( depends on card and cooling )

you can't really check ASIC on GTX1000 series, soft like GPU-Z will tell you it's not supported on this GPU

On most cards there is no difference as even 1070 FE after OC and at max voltage is not reaching throttling point. I guess it helps when you have good chip and boost is still reacting on temps. However I doubt you can keep these cards at 30-40C under load on water. Idle will be near 30C.
My 1070 FE can make ~2080MHz stable and ~2120MHz for tests and it's not any special chip. Max on air/water is usually not much more than 2150MHz on the best chips and the highest series.
Temps affect 1080/1080Ti much more and GPU itself generates much more heat. On 1080Ti voltage is barely helping on air cooling as card is passing 80C on nearly any cooler under full load. On water users have usually 50-100MHz higher clock.

I'm not sure why there is no ASIC but there are clear differences between GPUs. Maybe not so big considering that all can make about 2000MHz but all GTX1000 cards have about +/- 100MHz max clock. Usually GTX1070/1080 have about 2050-2100MHz stable, GTX1080Ti/Titan XP/XPp have about 1950-2050MHz stable.

Coming from dual 480s and now to a 1080 (which just got here and will be testing throughout the weekend) It seems like the manufacturing process is showing a large difference in capability from chip to chip.

AMD uses GF 14nm node process while NVIDIA uses TSMC 16nm node process. GF was showing they had a better node process than TSMC, and reading these posts seems like its a true statement. My 480s did great, and temps were easily managed (granted it is a lower powered device than a 1080/1070). Still though, the heat it did produce was easily managed between air or WC. It also scaled nicely with lower cooling (air -> WC).

Thought so

http://www.overclock.net/t/1626782/...cal-maximum-tension-shortens-life-to-one-year

Last edited:
Even if you see there is still couple of % available in power limit then all this nvidia boost is limiting max clock. Once you lower temps then card will start to boost higher, once you unlock additional power limit then card will boost higher.
At the end it can be like higher voltage = higher temps = lower boost ( depends on card and cooling )
An unlocked BIOS would increase both power target and vcore as well as remove temp target limits, best of all worlds! That's what we need.

I know some cards can do 2200, but not mine. I cant get more than +55 Mhz. on the slider, which is around 2050 Mhz. depending on what the card wants to boost to.

ASIC quality is listed as not supported in GPU-Z.

An unlocked BIOS would increase both power target and vcore as well as remove temp target limits, best of all worlds! That's what we need.

I know some cards can do 2200, but not mine. I cant get more than +55 Mhz. on the slider, which is around 2050 Mhz. depending on what the card wants to boost to.

ASIC quality is listed as not supported in GPU-Z.

Actually all what you said is available in software when you have higher series graphics card. Many cards have +50% power limit and max voltage is the same on most of them. That's the point, except maybe 1-2 models on the market, all other cards will have the same max voltage and going past some power limit won't help in OC. Max voltage is hardware limited because of nvidia support agreements. You can have the same voltage on FE and some Extreme whatever series from Gigabyte, Zotac or MSI. Difference is in power delivery and cooling what may stabilize higher clocks ( or not depends on gpu quality ).
I don't know how it looks like right now but when I got GTX1070 FE then it was overclocking about the same as top series from ASUS, GB, MSI and EVGA, even though these cards had higher power limit etc.
Other thing is that FE is exactly the same for end user as maybe 80% of models on the market and only cooler is different. Like EVGA SC offers the same as FE but has better cooler. The same other brands. EVGA FTW has better power section and some more but in general it's overclocking the same and there is no higher max voltage available in software.
Paying for higher series GTX1070 you are receiving quiet work and higher guaranteed clocks. However if you know how to overclock and you want to change cooler then it doesn't matter what card you get.

I've hit 2164 on my card, but my Heaven score actually dropped. My highest score was at 2126 MHz with the memory at 4475 MHz. That was good for this 3409 in Heaven and 4317 in Unigine Valley. I haven't really done anything with voltage.

Actually all what you said is available in software when you have higher series graphics card. Many cards have +50% power limit and max voltage is the same on most of them. That's the point, except maybe 1-2 models on the market, all other cards will have the same max voltage and going past some power limit won't help in OC. Max voltage is hardware limited because of nvidia support agreements. You can have the same voltage on FE and some Extreme whatever series from Gigabyte, Zotac or MSI. Difference is in power delivery and cooling what may stabilize higher clocks ( or not depends on gpu quality ).
I don't know how it looks like right now but when I got GTX1070 FE then it was overclocking about the same as top series from ASUS, GB, MSI and EVGA, even though these cards had higher power limit etc.
Other thing is that FE is exactly the same for end user as maybe 80% of models on the market and only cooler is different. Like EVGA SC offers the same as FE but has better cooler. The same other brands. EVGA FTW has better power section and some more but in general it's overclocking the same and there is no higher max voltage available in software.
Paying for higher series GTX1070 you are receiving quiet work and higher guaranteed clocks. However if you know how to overclock and you want to change cooler then it doesn't matter what card you get.

Voltage is not hardware locked, it's BIOS locked. There is one video card out there (forgot which) which allows up to 1.25vcore, which is the max safe allowed by Nvidia. I would flash over to that BIOS, but it's such a different card that some people are having problems flashing to that BIOS if they dont have that card.

Back