• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED HELP!!! I just turned my rig to junk!!!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
this morning I picked up a pair of asus pg278Q monitors, 2560x1440, to try in place of my dells, 1920x1080.
I hooked them to my [email protected] rig and threw in my new 1080 and the wheels completely fell of the wagon.
I swapped out the 1080 card for my trusty pair of 980TI's and the wheels were still off the wagon.
I threw the dells back on the wall and all was happy with the world again.
I swapped in the 1080, and still, happiness reigned supreme.

am I missing something?????? are the new in the box monitors bad??????

the rig,
asrock extreme9
4690K, can put the 4790K back in.
8 gigs ddr3-2400 ram.
psu, evga 850 g2
using display port cables.

other things I have noticed.
as soon as I start gtav gaming the hdd light is always on.
I have a 4x120x60mm rad and in 10 minutes the exhaust is hot!!!!
with only one of the new monitors plugged in at a time it's good, with 2 it's awful, it's good with either monitor, either cable, and any port.

Last edited:
I had some issues with a couple dell monitors running off display port. 1 would work fine but a pair would kill boots most of the time. not sure who made the asus, but the dell u2424 and u2714 seemed to have some potential issues with display port

the cables and ports are fine, i have swapped them around in singles.
this tells me it's in another part of the system but, I don't know enough to know where to continue from this point.

my buddy in atlanta returned my call, THANK GOD!!!
followed his instructions,
installed afterburner to see if anything looks wrong and fix those first, yes, somethings look wrong.
the line for cpu% is hard locked at 100% and never moves.
the line, memory, not vram, vram tends to 4000-5000, starts at 11500 and grows to 13000.
how do I correct those?

some internet searching says that at 100% cpu, I need more cores, so I threw the 4790K back in and turned HT back on.
I also found that I need more system ram so I added another 8 gigs of 2400 ram.
I seems the cpu and ram also draw stuff on our screens and don't just sorta hand everything off to the gpu.

at this point it's now playable so yes it's fixed, to an extent.
I need to remove some game mods and work the frame rate up, it's super, herky jerky but, I run a tonne of mods.

Are you playing on two monitors at once or one with the other being a browser/etc?

playing across 2 monitors.
I took out all the mods,turned down a few settings in the game and got it to playing very pretty at about 40 fps.
one thing that really helped in graphics settings was turning off AA, it looks like it's not really needed at 1440.
in nvidia control panel the refresh rate was set to 144, I turned this down and this made the biggest difference.
even with all the mods out and graphics turned down some it's still over 50% on the cpu and still uses a lot of system memory but, it has stopped using the drive, I guess for swap.

Last edited:
Two 2560x1440 monitors? Isn't that 5120x1440 (side by side)? Isn't a 1080 a little light for that resolution?
+1... its a few percent less pixels than 4k. As he eventually figured out, he will need to turn down some settings, like AA, for a better experience.

Last edited:
wow. 4k is more demanding than i thought.. didn't realize the cpu was so important for that. Learn something new every day.

at this point it's now playable so yes it's fixed, to an extent.
I need to remove some game mods and work the frame rate up, it's super, herky jerky but, I run a tonne of mods.

You need to get one of those big gun Ryzen chips with all those processing cores.

wow. 4k is more demanding than i thought.. didn't realize the cpu was so important for that. Learn something new every day.

The 1080 was "almost" enough for 4K. The Titan X Pascal card swallows all the 4K games I have thrown at it with no problem.

However, my CPU doesn't hit high utilization (5820 K) while gaming in 4K. The only time I saw close to 50% while gaming was when using the onboard audio with analog output. When I switched to a separate sound card (SoundBlaster Z), the utilization dropped back down.

every time I raise the graphics or frame rate the cpu use sky rockets, I can raise either/or and it's not so bad.
when the plant Vogtel emulator finishes what it's doing, do I need to move to that? 6/12 thread cpu?
or just wait till I decide if I want to sli a pair of 1080s?

the cpu really isnt as important... not sure whats going on here, but i can easily get through 4k games with a few and no see close to 100% cpu use...

Edit: now i see... a "tonne" of mods... this is likely the culprit...a one off for whatever game. Did you try other games and see if the same problems were still occuring?? A good way to get a bigger pircture instead of assuming correlation is causation off one data set. :)

I tried a few other games last night, in older games it was just fine.
digging on the nets some more I read in a few places that background programs can cause a lot more cpu usage than is needed and that operating system corruption can also increase it, this is an older install that has seen it's share of bsods and has quite a bit of leased software installed.
I'll try a reinstall of the os and work my way through a single monitor setup first.
as it stands I have it playing pretty darn nice at this point.
bioshock plays very well with frame rates in the 60s and a non modded gtav plays very well at default settings with gsync enabled over the two screens, with the two 1080P monitors it's awesome!!!!

how do I get a screen shot of the GTAV benchmark with afterburner osd showing?
If I use print screen all I get is black (very black, black) when I paste it into paint.
I get the same black when I use the screenshot function in fraps.

Even a 8350 will play decently at 4K

how do I get a screen shot of the GTAV benchmark with afterburner osd showing?
If I use print screen all I get is black (very black, black) when I paste it into paint.
I get the same black when I use the screenshot function in fraps.

Start the game in Windowed Fullscreen/Borderless Window or search the settings for the screenshot key :thup:

Last edited:
Back