• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My i5 6600 temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Defiant_force

Registered
My system is running stock other than my CMP settings to run my ram at 3200mhz. I have an i5 6600k being cooled with one stock fan pushing air on a hyper 212 evo. It's about 72 degrees F in the room that my system is in. I ran prime95 for 15 minutes and the max temps the chip hit were as follows.
Core #0 80c
Core #2 80c
Core #4 81c
core #6 83c
Package 83c

Idle temp is around 28 to 30c.

Just would to know what others have seen for temps and if these are about par for the 6600k.

Thank you!

I have the same temperature with i5 6600k at 4.5GHz with the same cooling. That is high temp for stock, I would check the cooler mount.

Should I take the entire cooler off and remount or just check how tight the cooler is and adjust? The thing was a pain to mount but for better temps I will do what I need to do.

Last edited:
This is when it just gets weird and try remounting that looks about same stuff aio running 10 degrees hotter for no reason I can think of put the d14 back on immediately drop to 30-32c idle and hanging around 70c loaded a lot more like that actually sounds normal.

Sorry if I am misunderstanding but what you are saying RJ88 is that I should just try remounting the cooler even though it looks the same it could change temps drastically.

Remounting the cooler can correct the possibility of the original mount being done in such a way so that the bottom of the heat sink is not making good contact with the top of the CPU. Screws not tightened evenly, cooler wedged against another component in the case, TIM not being applied properly, etc. If you choose to do this, carefully separate the cooler from the CPU and examine the spread pattern of the TIM. If done correctly, it should show coverage across the entire lid of the CPU if it was done correctly.

But first clean the old stuff off with a coffee filter moistened with high concentration isopropyl alcohol. I use 91% when I can find it. Less water in it than 70%. Coffee filters have no lotion like a lot of facial tissues and have a hard sheen which doesn't leave so many fibers behind that can insulate. Reapply the TIM with a pea-sized glob in the center. Don't try to spread it. Let the clamping pressure do that. Tighten the screws back and forth a little at a time to make sure pressure is even during the mount. Like tightening automobile cylinder head bolts after replacing the gasket.

But the question I want to ask is what is your case ventilation like? How many intake (bringing air into the case) and exhaust (extracting air from the case) fans do you have? Where are they located and how big are they? High temps can be caused by poor case ventilation. This can be tested as an issue by removing the side panel off the case and running the stress test again.

Also, please create a Sig listing your components in some detail. Go to the top of the page and click on Settings and look down the left side. You will see "Edit Signature." You can refer to my sig if you want a pattern for what we look for.

Last edited:
My signature should give a solid idea of what my rig looks like. Thank you for the advice. I am going to play around with it later tonight and see what happens.

Last edited:
My signature should give a solid idea of what my rig looks like. Thank you for the advice. I am going to play around with it later tonight and see what happens.

Yeah just a bad mount or how you layed the TIM or it could be the IHS some were kinda bad sent out not that flat and some edges and need lapped a little.

I will tackle the remounting tonight and see how things go temp wise. :) I appreciate all the advice and I am open to all suggestions on how to make my rig better!

I have remounted the cooler with odd readings. There was indeed to much thermal paste on there to begin with...my bad. So my prime95 readings are about the same at stock speeds but my gaming temps are down about 5 to 7c compared to before. I did move my top exhaust fan to a push/pull set up on the cpu cooler but other than that I did not change anything. I feel like it might just be the way it's going to be for now until I upgrade coolers and/or a case with better airflow.

I have a 4770 at stock / hyper evo 212, ran prime95 for 15 min, max 81C / 81C / 79C / 75C , room temperature is 23,5 degree
1 fan in front, 1 in back... temp inside case probalty higher than room temperature.

Maybe a fan on top (exhaust will reduce abit), cleaned computer like 3 month ago.

I disabled xmp profile and ran prime95. Temps on the cpu dropped to 61c max after 15 minutes. Feeling pretty stupid I have been running xmp the entire time since I built thing thing like 6 months ago. Stupid me I guess as the xmp must have increased the voltage.

uhm, arent you supose to turn XMP on !?! Otherwice your ram will be set to run what motherboard provide.

I disabled xmp profile and ran prime95. Temps on the cpu dropped to 61c max after 15 minutes. Feeling pretty stupid I have been running xmp the entire time since I built thing thing like 6 months ago. Stupid me I guess as the xmp must have increased the voltage.

XMP runs the ram from 2133 to 3200 speed increasing the CPU temperature, that is fine to do. You can safely run the CPU up to 90c.

I am just happy to have a clean stock temp of 61c while running prime95. I will work on manually clocking my ram and eventually overclocking my cpu now that I have the temp under control.

Last edited:
Back