• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question on CPU temp Monitoring

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Googie

I recently installed an AMD 8350 processor on a Gigabyte 970A-U3 Motherboard I have a swiftech X220 AIO liquid cooler installed and replaced the stock fans with 2 Noctua F12 fans. I also installed a NZXT sentry3 fancontroller and installed the temp probe right next to the CPU. When I stress test the computer the Sentry 3 never goes above 50C mean while Cam sofetware and other sofeware monitoring IVe tried will hit 65-75 C while the sentry will stay below 50. I put a infrared temp gun on CPU block and hot side hose coming off block never goes above 45 C so I have a 20 degree difference between real temps and software. Looking for opinions on better software monitoring. Also looking for opinions on which temps to believe

First of all :welcome: to the forums

Second: please do not bump your threads hours apart from your original post, even same day or week is largely unnecessary. This forum is full of very smart individuals but does not get thousands of posts per day where your post could be lost. It is Sunday evening, most folks are wrapping up time with their families etc on the end of the weekend, give it some time for someone to respond.

Lastly, to answer your question: I would go with what hwinfo or similar software is saying the temps are reading assuming you are wanting to know the CPU temperature. While those CPUs are inherently inaccurate at measuing idle temps the software should be showing you what the CPU is reporting to the BIOS, thus the temperature(s) that actually matter when it comes to throttling. The temp you are seeing with the Sentry is likely an elevated in-case ambient temperature (due to proximity to the CPU, etc)

They get kinda Shakey with High Clocks above 50c Pretty much. I don't think you could kill one though I tried with the 8320 still fine...vs x58 over here see if this 920 dies over this summer at 4.4ghz 1.42v, that xeon 3520 ran like all summer picked up a few years back cooking at 80-85c and sucker just shut down out no where no warning whatsoever. I was running PLL really high though. Fried that Sucker Lol

Set up much better though new pump the frostflow working perfectly and 240 rad and 2000rpm fans some IC diamond 7 and NT-h1 to play around with, I think it will hold Lol

The Sentry is showing temps 15-20 degrees cooler then the software. Probe is right next to CPU on the board This is also at stock speeds. Havent seen such a wide margin before

Googie, the reason you are getting such a variance is that the probe and your gun are measuring the temp on the outside of the CPU where the software is reading the data sent by the sensors that actually are embedded in the CPU silicon circuitry or on the die the CPU under the integrated heat spreader. The internal temps are the ones that count. It's like the difference between the temp readings you would get in the combustion chamber (cylinder) of an automobile engine where the explosion is happening vs. what a heat gun would read on the outside of the engine block. In both scenarios, external temps will be less than core temps. So figure what the differential between the two is and the calibrate your fan Sentry accordingly.

Last edited:
Back