• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm clearly doing overclocking wrong but I have no idea what it is [1500x]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hendr1x

Registered
So, I have a 1500x (stock cooler) and a GA-AB350-Gaming 3. The exact same as this guide which shows CPU-Z accurately showing voltage and multipliers up to 4.2

So, when I make the changes in my bios (newest version : F6) they don't seem to translate to CPU-Z at all. I guess I have no idea why the hell I am doing but if anyone could take a look at the screenshot and tell me when I am doing wrong I would greatly appreciate it.

Edit : The cpu speed fluctuates between 3500-3900 (stock settings yes?) but the core voltage is always that high. I'm turning everything back to stock until I understand whats happening.

Edit : Turned cpu multiplier/core voltage back to auto and CPUZ still says 1.4-1.45 as the core voltage.

What are the temps? If its throttling that would be the issue right there. I am not sure how the stock cooling handles overclocking. Usually most stock coolers cant hand much of an oc at all.

Also, to attach pictures to your post go here. There will mods who tell you to do that later on when they see this. It helps archive pictures just in case you no longer have them and they could help someone else in the future.

Screenshot (45)_LI.jpg

I doubt it will work at 4.2GHz. Most chips won't make more than 4GHz stable.
On this board when CPU settings aren't stable enough to boot then board runs at default settings and this is why you can see different settings in CPU-Z than in BIOS.

Be happy if you can pull 3.8 with that cooler. Just get some decent oc lets say 3.8-7 then stress test it if it passes for 1-2 hours its alright but keep temperatures in check. Every BIOS works differently keep that in mind. The max OC I saw on Ryzen was 4.2 I forgotten what chip it was

Thanks guys for the response.

My temps are around 45 degrees. I would be fine with 3.8 however regardless of settings (I worked my way up from 3.8 to 4.2, .5 at a time) the system is completely stable, fan never gets loud, no signs of system stress at all. As far as I can tell its basically just running stock. I just started using Ryzen Master and I can't get any overclock at all. I tried 3.8 at 1.23750 and it just blacks out / hard crash every time. Also, my stock voltage (no overclock) constantly shows up at ~1.45 (80%) with only small dips down to ~1.3. This is in Ryzen Master + CPUZ. What gives? I have no idea whats happening.

Try 3.8 with ~ 1.35V see if that works. Sounds to me like you're just not giving it enough

ok, that worked.....lol. I think the reason I was having so much trouble was I can't get Ryzen Master to oc my ram properly (and I was stupidly trying it over again and not realizing it was causing problems).....argghhh.. DDR4 PC3200 14-14-14-34 1.35v.....I don't see a place to set the voltage....mem vddio only goes up ~1.3 and I have no idea what Mem VTT is.

ok, that worked.....lol. I think the reason I was having so much trouble was I can't get Ryzen Master to oc my ram properly (and I was stupidly trying it over again and not realizing it was causing problems).....argghhh.. DDR4 PC3200 14-14-14-34 1.35v.....I don't see a place to set the voltage....mem vddio only goes up ~1.3 and I have no idea what Mem VTT is.

Here have a quick read .......

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/781688-AMD-RYZEN-Overclocking-Guide

All the discussion on memory overclocking is for the wrong motherboard

It's still pretty similar, you won't have a base clock to work with. What ram do you have and configuration. 2x8GB, 2x16GB etc..

2x8, Flare X PC3200 14-14-14-34

The thing is, the settings when I change them in bois (link for pics in first post) for ram work fine but the CPU settings getting ignored. So at this point BIOS oc doesn't work for me. For Ryzen Master, I can oc CPU but I can't/don't know how to oc memory. (FYI : the base profile in Ryzen Master shows the OC memory properly from bios, but I can't get any of the custom profiles to work).

Is there an updated BIOS available?
You could also try doing the ram manually. Set the 3200 ram divider assuming you have it, if not that could be why you're having issue with the XMP. If that's not available you won't be running 3200 ram unless they open up baseclock in a future BIOS. But you can do 2933, set DRAMvoltage to 1.35 and set the timings manually to 14-14-14-14-32

I'm on the most recent bios version - F6. This version is allowing me to run at 3200 (with proper timing + voltage) without problems, its just the CPU over clocking that doesn't seem to have any effect at all (screenshots in first post). The opposite is true for Ryzen Master...it will let me overclock CPU but I can't figure out how to do the RAM (specially the voltage).

What if you leave the ram set in bios AND JUST USE rm FOR THE cpu?
Also in that first pic you were trying to run 4200 which is way too fast. Do as I suggested later and set ram then set multiplier at 38 and 1.35v. Will that work?

So for rm, the ram settings on the first screen (c) are fine, when I change to a custom profile they are all wrong to start and I don't know the voltage settings to make it work, every time I change them to the 'proper' settings it black screens on me.

I just changed my bios back to 3.8 and ~1.35, no change at all once I hit windows. Like I said, it basically ignores any settings I put in the bios (prior I had inched my way from 3.8 to 4.2 in .5 increments).

Use f6 or f7 whichever it is on Giga and set bios defaults then reboot. Then set 3.8 with 1.35v again and see if it boots. Make sure all settings in RM are cleared. I had trouble with it no letting go of the BIOS after I used it and had to reflash before things worked properly.

Formatted hard drive, reinstalled windows, flashed bios again. As far a I can tell no change.

Well don't use RM aside from monitoring temps I would use HWInfo64 for that anyway.
Just like before go to BIOS set 38 multiplier and 1.35v then save and exit. Boot to Windows and make sure it's on Performance in the power settings. Then open CPUz and see what you get.

Back