• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

980Ti whats a safe speed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
So pretty simple question. I have my 980Ti up and crunching. Its an EVGA 980Ti reference design with full cover water block. Ive been running at +150Mhz for the last 2 days or so with what is probably unnecessary +50Mv just to ensure that it stays stable. I just bumped it up another 20Mhz so its operating at an effective 1385Mhz currently, but I feel like theres a little bit more left in the tank. I know theres a bunch of other 980s folding in here currently, so hoping that y'all can give me a bit of insight here.

What speed are you running your 980s at currently, and what voltage?

I am running mine at +180 on the core and +600 on the memory. Extra volts do not seem to do anything for my card.

With those settings it boosts to 1509 on the core.

Funny thing, it is F@H stable but not gaming stable. Go figure.

I found that keeping it cool means more than anything. Before I had the WB installed the card would drop boost at anything approaching 60 Deg C.

Another strange thing I noticed while finding settings, extra volts increases boost clocks even when you don't touch the core. :screwy:

So I have it dialed up to 1425 currently and it doesn't seem to mind. Probably let it sit at that speed at least until the end of this WU then I might push it a little further.

All my 980Ti are EVGA FTW/Classified models, on air at 100% fan + extra fans, caseless, dual gpu motherboards, linux hosts. The factory OC is pretty well maxed out, but I have made small adjustments +/- to fold stable, currently at 1464, 1450, 1429, 1427, 1421, 1419, 1414, 1394. Also, the memory has been downclocked 200 on all these cards to improve stability.

Its interesting to me that I cant get anywhere near these clockspeeds in benchmarks, but it has no issue doing them in F@H. Anyway put in about 24hours at 1425, and now I have it bumped up to 1460. Guess we will let it ride at this speed for a while before considering upping the speed again.

Be sure to review the log for any warnings/errors. Searching for "bad" will locate "bad state" and "bad wu" messages. The client will attempt to restart from a "bad state" 2x during a wu, but 3rd occurrence results in a bad wu". "Bad state" message is indication of system stability issue, which could be in GPU core/memory, CPU core/memory, or even the motherboard, hard drive or power supply.

Well I just finished a full day at 1490, so I am going to kick it up a bit more. Per a few suggestions I saw I went ahead and dropped the memory speed -200 to ensure that doesn't affect stability. And I just bumped it up to 1501mhz. Going to let it ride here for just a couple folds to see if its running ok. Then Ill probably try to bump it just a little bit higher.

As has been mentioned temps are key to stability with Kepler core, and fortunately I am seeing 60-64C temps at these settings with ~28C room temps.

Had a lucky draw of WUs yesterday and managed to pull ~630K in a 24 hour cycle.

Edit, ok went error free for about 20 mins, so I kicked it up to 1515Mhz. The default clock on this card is 1000mhz, and boost is like 1070, so pushing past 1500 on ambient is pretty impressive to me.

Edit2. Well it seems I have finally run into the power limit wall. At 1530 it will jump up and down between 1515 and 1530. I can maintain at 1523 without throttling though, so I guess thats where its going to stay.

Edit3. Well I did kill a couple WUs yesterday with an unstable clock. Back down to 1501 and its churning along just fine at this speed.

Last edited:
Back