• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to water-cooling, have I installed it correctly?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What he's basically saying is, check your fittings and loop as a whole to make sure nothing moved or got loose while moving things around.

As for the radiator noise, that is air bubbles/pockets in your rad otherwise it wouldn't be as noisy once the air was moved out. Slowly and kindly tilt your case around when needed, otherwise run your pump at full throttle to help it bleed quicker. Just make sure there's no vortex effect of any sort in the reservoir which would feed the pump air.

Not sure what you're talking about on your tiny hole res comment. If you're referring to the fill port, close it up and only open it when you need to fill.

Yes was referring to the fill port.. sounds silly but it should be closed with a rubber band also?

And can you please explain what is a 'vortex effect'? How is it possible to feed the pump air?... I thank all people that was willing to help till now.. you really help a lot. Great community!

Yes was referring to the fill port.. sounds silly but it should be closed with a rubber band also?

And can you please explain what is a 'vortex effect'? How is it possible to feed the pump air?... I thank all people that was willing to help till now.. you really help a lot. Great community!

If by rubber band you mean O-ring, if it came with it than yes use it but as long as you don't tip the case upside down, you shouldn't have to worry too much.

A vortex effect is the same effect you see with your toilet or a tornado and in this case in a reservoir, it will not only suck in the liquid at a rapid rate but also suck in air which isn't good for water pumps that need to stay lubricated or they'll just deteriorate over time.

If by rubber band you mean O-ring, if it came with it than yes use it but as long as you don't tip the case upside down, you shouldn't have to worry too much.

A vortex effect is the same effect you see with your toilet or a tornado and in this case in a reservoir, it will not only suck in the liquid at a rapid rate but also suck in air which isn't good for water pumps that need to stay lubricated or they'll just deteriorate over time.

Thanks. Whats causing this effect and how to prevent it?

I hear sometimes water inside the radiator from time to time but it sounds as if water leaks.. I don't know it freaks me out. I see no leak.

Trust me if it was leaking there would be water where it shouldn't be. If you're not finding any water outside of the loop then it's just the air pockets. I've heard that sound too. Kinda sounds like someone is drinking from a bottle?

A vortex is created when the water is flowing rapidly in a circular motion. The way most pumps are designed the water will rotate inside your reservoir. If there is too much air in your res it could create a vortex. You may have noticed some of the EK reservoirs have the clear plastic EK in the middle. This isn't just for decoration. I believe it also reduces the creation of votex's. I could be wrong as I'm just theorizing. It's not something to be too concerned about as long as there is enough water in the reservoir.

EDIT: Here's a cool video of a vortex generator for kids.

Haha ok.. makes sense. Another thing - i've received 'Mayhem silver coil' for free with the EK kit, Can I just throw it inside the reservoir water? theres no risk? (my system is already running with water inside reservoir) .

Edit: Forgot to mention that i've added to the distilled water EK Cryofuel concentrate for color. Is it ok to add the silver coil?

Last edited:
EK discourages using silver with their nickel plated blocks. I'm not sure what you're using but I would suggest using a premixed coolant over the silver.

EK discourages using silver with their nickel plated blocks. I'm not sure what you're using but I would suggest using a premixed coolant over the silver.

EK Cryofuel is also coolant.. So i'm ok as I am at the moment? no need to add silver coil ?

you're good without the silver.
as for the rad noise, I have to turn mine upside down at times to get the air to move to the res, air likes to be in the highest point in the system, it just likes a good viewing point I guess..

Back