• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting my hands on Ryzen tomorrow, Any tips or tricks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Waza

Been a while since I posted anything here, nice to be back.
I have managed to resist Ryzen this long but finally caved in and placed an order. I have been following Ryzen quite closely and I think I'm aware of most of the quirks.

I ordered:
Crosshair 6 Hero, no ps/2 port :'(
Ryzen 1700
Trident Z 3000Mhz CL14 2x8GB kit ( F4-3000C14D-16GTZ )

One thing that really bothers me is the memory support. The FlareX kits seem like a good kit but I could not get my hands on any of the faster ones so I had to settle.
If the info I have gathered is correct, this is Samsung B-die single rank kit but I could not find it in any QVL vendor lists. I am expecting some manual tuning might be necessary and I really dislike memory overclocking.
Can I expect to push this kit to around 3200Mhz and are there any tips you can share?

My current liquid cooling should be just plug and play since the C6H have am3 compatible mounting holes so that's a plus. I went with this motherboard for it's robust power delivery. I really wish they would have a no compromise board out without all the RGB doodads inflating the price but hey...
I eventually settled for the 1700 seeing that the X models didn't overclock that much better, I am hoping that this won't come back to haunt me because I am really set on getting to the 4Ghz mark.

Any tips, tricks or magic spells to get this combo up and running quickly would be greatly appreciated:clap:

My FX8350 will take earlier than planned retirement as a server/streaming machine. It is still running strong at 4.95Ghz despite all the abuse I've put it trough.

Not sure if it was all EK blocks but the evo for sure had issues with the backplate. It wasn't putting the correct pressure on the socket and people were getting a no boot situation. They found that cutting the center of the rubber gasket out made it so it would work.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you, I already took a peek around the forum and found Johan's thread. It had a lot of great info. I'm looking a bit more specific information and was actually hoping someone would have experience on the same or very similar combo.

Fire away Waza

I am mostly curious about the memory. I have so much bad experience with bad compatibility with memory and mobos that I tend to stick to the QVL.
Any info you can share on the C6H overclocking features.. LLC levels etc. I know my Sabertooth inside out but looking at the various guides around internet and it looks like I have to pretty much to learn about Ryzen.
How it responds to SOC voltage for example, P-state overclocking better option? basically anything you can share to kick start me into learning this new system.

There is a wealth of knowledge about 990FX but I'm having trouble finding consistent information about Ryzen and the X370.
Is the Ryzen master actually a good software to find a good starting point? I Really cannot tell exactly what kind of info I need. Just trying to absorb as much information as possible to get to the fun part quickly.
There also seems to be conflicting information about the safe voltage for Ryzen. Many people claim it is 1.45V but it seems that 1.35V is the actual safe voltage limit.

Have I understood correctly that BCLK overclocking on the C6H is possible without affecting PCI and SATA devices?

I agree your ram is most likely Sammy "B" so shouldn't be a problem to get it running. As for P-state OC if you're interested in the power savings then that would be the route to go. RM works but won't start with windows at this time.
SOC voltage shouldn't need to be fiddled with too much. 1.0V or less would likely be fine in your case. If need be 1.1-1.2 but I haven't found I have needed that much even pushing ram up to 3600.
RM is OK and it does work fairly easily. I set up a decent OC with it in a short amount of time but I'm not a SW kind of guy
As for voltage AMD recommends 1.35V but also said up to 1.45V should be OK but could reduce your CPUs lifespan. That's a specific as they have ever been. I would keep it to 1.4V or less, I also noticed that at 1.45+ more voltage doesn't seem to help stabilize things, at least with ambient cooling.
85 – 104.8 MHz Gen 3 8GT/s (985MB/s) 105 – 144.8 MHz Gen 2 5GT/s (500MB/s) 145+ MHz Gen 1 2.5GT/s (250MB/s)
That's the breakdown of "AUTO" rules. You can override these by setting PCIe manually in BIOS but not all GFX cards like high bus speed and there the possibility of ssd/hdd corruption

P>S> One thing about RM. After I used it I couldn't seem to make changes in BIOS and needed to re-flash before things seemed normal again

Last edited:
This board has great support for watercooling, Is it possible to drive system fans based on the water temperature if I plug in sensors to the motherboard?
E: And I mean on BIOS level without any additional software.

This board has great support for watercooling, Is it possible to drive system fans based on the water temperature if I plug in sensors to the motherboard?
E: And I mean on BIOS level without any additional software.

Doubt it and I would never want to base my fan speed on water temps anyway. You coolant is going to be many times cooler than the CPU die. Plus the fluid will take a fair amount of time to absorb enough heat to raise the temperature. Adjusting fan/pump speed based on the on die thermo probe is your best bet.

Doubt it and I would never want to base my fan speed on water temps anyway. You coolant is going to be many times cooler than the CPU die. Plus the fluid will take a fair amount of time to absorb enough heat to raise the temperature. Adjusting fan/pump speed based on the on die thermo probe is your best bet.

Adjusting to the coolant temp was the whole idea. I can set the high limit for 35-40c for the coolant temp and be totally fine. The biggest problem in my loop is my 2 R9 290s. If i play something thats light on the Cpu but heavy on the Gpus that coolant temp will rise to 47c because my cpu is not running hot enough for the fans to really kick in.
My fan profile is extremely relaxed. Liquid cooling can handle light desktop work easily even if my liquid deltaT gets high. But the problem getting close to the 50c mark is switching task to something Cpu intensive.

Well I quess Ryzen is better with temp limits so I should be OK

Been a while since I posted anything here, nice to be back.
I have managed to resist Ryzen this long but finally caved in and placed an order. I have been following Ryzen quite closely and I think I'm aware of most of the quirks.

I ordered:
Crosshair 6 Hero, no ps/2 port :'(
Ryzen 1700
Trident Z 3000Mhz CL14 2x8GB kit ( F4-3000C14D-16GTZ )

One thing that really bothers me is the memory support. The FlareX kits seem like a good kit but I could not get my hands on any of the faster ones so I had to settle.
If the info I have gathered is correct, this is Samsung B-die single rank kit but I could not find it in any QVL vendor lists. I am expecting some manual tuning might be necessary and I really dislike memory overclocking.
Can I expect to push this kit to around 3200Mhz and are there any tips you can share?

My current liquid cooling should be just plug and play since the C6H have am3 compatible mounting holes so that's a plus. I went with this motherboard for it's robust power delivery. I really wish they would have a no compromise board out without all the RGB doodads inflating the price but hey...
I eventually settled for the 1700 seeing that the X models didn't overclock that much better, I am hoping that this won't come back to haunt me because I am really set on getting to the 4Ghz mark.

Any tips, tricks or magic spells to get this combo up and running quickly would be greatly appreciated:clap:

My FX8350 will take earlier than planned retirement as a server/streaming machine. It is still running strong at 4.95Ghz despite all the abuse I've put it trough.

G.SKILL has there own QVL for memory tested with Crosshair VI Hero. LINK: http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c14d-16gfx

Is there any software that reports accurate temps for Ryzen? It seems that even the BIOS reports absurdly low temperatures.
I did a small gaming test and fluid temps ryze (hehheh) to 44c while fans did not really do anything.. Im currently running prime 95 @3.825Ghz 1.35V and hwmonitor reports 36c as core temperature.

Which BIOS are you using?
Temps seem to be weird for me sometimes but I found the BIOS plays a big part in that
the tCTL should be the most accurate in HWinfo64 and the voltage directly under it SVI2 in the newest version is what's actually feeding the core. From my understanding that's the reading leaving the VRM
Sorry about the line through the temps I highlighted this for the voltage. The author has been working with the CHVI thread at OCN very closely and AFIK this is the MOST accurate SW ATM

4300 1.425.JPG

Which BIOS are you using?

1002 which was the latest at ASUS support site.
I have this strange issue with HWMonitor too. It likes to crash on me even at stock. Everything else runs fine.
I'll try the HWInfo64. It strange too because my fans don't really react that much to load. I messed with the Q-fan settings and set my CPU max temp at 45c.
Maybe I'm just too used to the FX series thermal response.

Fiddled in BIOS for a while and managed a solid 4ghz overclock. To my surprise the memory was as easy as loading up the the XMP profile with DOCP but for some reason my system really dislikes me touching BCLK. Might be the memory but I don't feel like diving into that right now.
Gonna hang onto 4ghz for couple of days making sure it's stable, makes for a good starting point to start poking around deeper in the BIOS.

Ryzen 1700 4ghz + 3000mhz RAM.jpg

Looks good to me Waza, a bit of research before hand made it pretty painless. For most it's the memory that causes all the headaches. Not sure what the issue with you BCLK is. Could be the DOCP but not likely. Did you drop the multi on the core speed? Could also be the 290s, some cards don't like higher bus speeds.

Looks good to me Waza, a bit of research before hand made it pretty painless. For most it's the memory that causes all the headaches. Not sure what the issue with you BCLK is. Could be the DOCP but not likely. Did you drop the multi on the core speed? Could also be the 290s, some cards don't like higher bus speeds.

Did some testing after my system started to crash randomly. I pushed my memory to 3200Mhz and while trying for some more I noticed something weird. My Intel 910 SSD was not showing up after booting up at 112Mhz BCLK even after dropping PCI-E busses to gen 2.
It appears that it is my SSD which will not tolerate any BCLK adjustments. It really doesn't bother me at this point. I was shooting for 3200Mhz RAM speed and managed to achieve that without using DOCP.
My CPU seems to have stabilized at 3.96Ghz requiring somewhere between 1.35V-1.4V.
I doubt that I can push it much further unless I find out what exactly causes the hard crash.

It is funny how Ryzen just crashes the whole system instead of giving any application errors.

So you've seen the black screen too eh? Just shuts down BAM. That doesn'r surprise me though from a PCIe drive. My 950pro NVMe and all my SATA SSDS i haven't had an issue yet up to 140 BCLK

Back