• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got all my parts, need a little bit of help with building it

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Musky

Registered
Hey everyone,

I just got home and got all the parts now. I was wondering on what surface I should build it on. On a desk? My floor is carpet-ish and thats not a smart idea lol. I also have no idea on how to clean my HDD so I can reuse it. I already got windows 10 on a usb. Im not too sure if I can even manage to build it tonight (busy :S), otherwise it would be thursday, because I have a day off on thursday

Tim

you desk will be fine . Most ppl use the Motherboard box to test the build on before putting it into the case .I wouldnt build on carpet ( i have and never had problems ) i just wouldnt risk it any more.

Yeah, i've seen people using their motherboard box indeed. I need to know how to clean my HDD tho before starting :S

as long as you are ok with wiping it just use it how it is when you do the windows 10 install just tell it ( in the drive selection area of the install) to format the drive . HDD cleaned =)

So can I remove it from my current rig right now with all the files on it, then place it in my new rig. And when I first start it up, I boot through the USB, and reinstall windows on it? (and ofc select that I want to delete all the files that are currently on it)

Okey, going to do that. If I encounter more problems, I'll hit you guys up on this post.

please just be sure to install all the motherboard stand offs first.

This. Check and double check that the standoffs are in the correct position in the tray so that they all line up with the mounting holes in the motherboard. Make sure there are no extra ones screwed into the tray that don't have corresponding holes in the motherboard. If any standoffs touch the underside of the motherboard in any place where there is not a mounting hole then you will get an electrical ground out. Every cm2 of the underside of that motherboard has exposed circuitry.

After testing the system outside of the case, the next thing is to snap the I/O shield into place where the rectangular hole is at the back of the case. This is where all the input/output ports are: USB, audio, video, etc. You don't want to have the motherboard all installed and bolted down and realize you forgot to put the IO shield in place. The I/O shield snaps into the rectangular hole from the inside.

Last edited:
I've done that, with the 6 bolts first mounted, I just mounted the motherboard on top and I am connecting all the PSU cables now. Im having 2 problems atm. I have only 1 8pin connector (that I need for my GPU) and I also seem to need one for my motherboard.. Can I use the 2 4pin connectors for my motherboard? I checked a video and someone had a 120mm fan that was powered by the motherboard. In my case the pins are quite big and what I think is that I need to give that power from my PSU. can anyone tell? thanks!

4+4 is the 8-Pin for the cpu bud. The 6+2 are pcie and want fit. Psu manual also shows this information. :)

It would be helpful to list your system specs in your signature so we can help you out best....

UPDATE

I found out that the male molex had to be put into a female molex (from my PSU) the other female that was attached to it, could be used to connect a 2nd fan to. I got the whole pc build done right now, except for the 140mm fan that I bought.(Not the one that came with the case) I dont know where to place this, was the idea to this first? because then I ****ed up.. Anyone please?

Tim

Attachments

• New-Arrival-3-Pins-to-4-Pins-IDE-Power-font-b-Connector-b-font-Cable-Extension.jpg
    New-Arrival-3-Pins-to-4-Pins-IDE-Power-font-b-Connector-b-font-Cable-Extension.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Please take a picture of the connector end of the fan in question and post it. Many fans just connect directly to the motherboard. Their are pins on the motherboard for the CPU fan connector and for case fan connectors if the case fans have that kind of connector. Have you already used all the fan pin blocks on the motherboard for the fan that came with the case?

Are you saying that your PSU does not have a four pin molex connector to be able to use the adapter you show in the post picture above? Every PSU I have had has those. The adapter in the picture you show has both a male and a female connector so it should work with the molex coming from your PSU. Use one or the other. The fan itself will connct to the 3 pin mail extension that is shown spliced into the male four pin molex in the picture. I guess I don't understand what problem you are having with this.

What is it exactly that you don't know where to place? The second fan? If the case came with a fan in the front then place the second fan in either the rear panel of the case or the top panel, depending on where the mount is made available. If the fan the case came with was in the rear panel then place the second fan in the front panel.

Last edited:
Hey trents,

The fan that came with the case works now, that was the problem with the molex. I got everything to work and the pc works already BUT, idk how to place the other fan that u suggested me to place in the front of the pc, it looks impossible. also, how can I test that everything works? thanks in advance

Tim

Tim, you will probably have to remove the plastic front panel from the case in order to be able to place the fan behind it. Usually, there is a hole under the bottom edge of the plastic front panel where you can place your fingers. Then just yank (pull swiftly out and away) on it to disengage it from the metal frame of the case. Usually the plastic front panels are held in place by plastic posts with a flared end and they just snap free when you pull on them. Then screw the fan onto the metal face of the case. When done snap the plastic panel back in place. Be careful with the wires that go to the buttons, lights and ports.

Concerning how you can test to see that everything works, just plug in headphones/speakers to the font audio jacks and usb devices to the front USB ports. Just start using the computer like you normally would. Game, do whatever you normally do.

Check in Control Panel>System to see if Windows is activated.

Ill test it tomorrow then, so far, I can't thank u guys enough for everything. I know how to remove the front panel but the first thing that came into my mind was, to where the air would be blown, against the plastic front? and 2, I can't place it there because it doesnt have schrews but sort of rubber sticks that u have to place from the outside to the inside of the case, and then place the fan over them and add a ring to it so it'd stay. But I can't place the fan on them because theres no room to get behiond there and shove it on them, theres an HDD there and the case even blocks it. Is it still safe to game without the fan right now? I'll test gaming tomorrow with it and let u guys know :)

Ill test it tomorrow then, so far, I can't thank u guys enough for everything. I know how to remove the front panel but the first thing that came into my mind was, to where the air would be blown, against the plastic front? and 2, I can't place it there because it doesnt have schrews but sort of rubber sticks that u have to place from the outside to the inside of the case, and then place the fan over them and add a ring to it so it'd stay. But I can't place the fan on them because theres no room to get behiond there and shove it on them, theres an HDD there and the case even blocks it. Is it still safe to game without the fan right now? I'll test gaming tomorrow with it and let u guys know :)

You probably need to temporarily remove the hard drive cage so you can access the metal face of the case front from the inside for attaching the fan. You can also use screws to attach fans. You don't have to used the rubber push pin mounts. Just make sure that the fan is blowing toward the rear of the case. The spoke side of the fan housing is the side where the air will be pushed out by the fan blades.

Back