• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some help testing a 7700K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Super Nade

† SU(3) Moderator  †
Guys,

I need somebody willing to risk their gear help me test a 7700K. After watching me successfully delid my ancient Haswell chips, a colleague at work got on the bandwagon and tried to delid his 7700K. No POST! He claims it is dead. I am not sure that it is. The problem is, he broke a couple of pins on his Gigabyte MB. So I don't know if the no POST occurred prior to breaking the pins or after. He is not sure either. To me, everything on the CPU (and the underside) looks fine, but you guys probably know better. I will post some pics tomorrow.

I don't have to remind you that you may blow your own board if the chip is at fault! Considering this risk, would somebody be willing help me out? (I will pay shipping both ways)

It's highly unlikely the chip is bad if a tool was used, a knife could cut pcb. There aren't any SMD to knock off on those. Only thing would be a cracked die if the PCB was bent too much. The new sky/kaby chips have very thin PCB so it could be a pin/cpu contact issue as well especially if trying to run it nekked

Get another mobo and test. Bent pins they likely wont rma as its physical damage...

Look up a pinout for sKaby Lake and see which pins are bent... :)

He does not have access to another MB and does not want to buy one. I had to convince him not to pour gas on his rig and set it on fire, or take a 12 gauge to it. He is dead set on going Ryzen. I'll try the pin replacement fix (his pins are broken and lost) from an old MB, but I'd rather not waste my time if the CPU is blown. Johan, delid was done with the Rockit tool and AFAIK, it looks pristine.

Back