• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What cooler would be best for my setup.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vertigo5012

Registered
DIYPC Skyline-06-WB Black SECC ATX Full Tower Computer Case

ASUS Z97-E LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-16GXM

Intel Core i7-4790K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 4.0 GHz LGA 1150 88W BX80646I74790K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600

ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX-GTX1080-A8G-GAMING 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready Video Card

SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 1TB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-75E1T0B/AM

Thermaltake PS-TPG-1250DPCTUS-T DPS G RGB 1250W Digital ATX12V v2.31 / SSI EPS v2.92 80 PLUS TITANIUM Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

ASUS MG278Q Black 27" 144 Hz (GTG) WQHD HDMI Widescreen 2560 x 1440 LED Monitor, Adaptive-Sync (Free-Sync), Ergonomic Gaming Performance, Pivot & Height Adjustable (1000:1) Built-in Speakers

I'm a heavy gamer, around 8+ hours daily, more on weekends.

I know the processor is hard to overclock must without a open loop water cooler.

Right now my choices are, Cooler Master V8 GTS, Noctua NH-D15 & MasterAir Maker 8 High-end CPU air cooler.

The V8 GTS & Maker 8 have 8 heatpipes, where the Noctua NH-D15 only has 6 i think.

Anyone's thoughts would be great.

Noctua NH-D15 hands down. There is not a better air cooler on the market.

I agree go with the D15. The maker 8 is overpriced for what it is and the V8 gts performs worse than the d15. I have worked with the V8 gts directly and was not happy with it.

Your chip is not "hard to overclock" it is probably the best chip in the Haswell/devil canyon lineup to OC.

As Lochekey indicated, the Cooler Master V8 GTS and the Noctua NH-D15 will be pretty close in cooling performance but the "hands down" I gave the Noctua is for it being so much more of a value from a price/performance perspective. And the quality of Noctua's products is unsurpassed, even though they may not win the "pretty" awards. When choosing coolers, it is very important to look at a number of test reviews as the results will vary significantly from one to the other depending on test conditions and the consistency of method used by the testers.

As Lochekey indicated, the Cooler Master V8 GTS and the Noctua NH-D15 will be pretty close in cooling performance but the "hands down" I gave the Noctua is for it being so much more of a value from a price/performance perspective. And the quality of Noctua's products is unsurpassed, even though they may not win the "pretty" awards. When choosing coolers, it is very important to look at a number of test reviews as the results will vary significantly from one to the other depending on test conditions and the consistency of method used by the testers.

Thanks, yall have been alot of help. I think i'm gonna go with the Noctua NH-D15.

Why are you so set in an air cooler if I might ask? Do you not have room for a 240mm aio? Generally the price between top air and a decent aio are pretty close...

Just figured I would ask if you were opposed or limited on the ability to consider and aio

D14/d15 plenty capable of dissipating something pretty well and serious, put that 140mm in the front and yeah faster something in the middle Id put this blower delta or whatever on it but that's too loud/bearing is messed up on it anyways.

Why are you so set in an air cooler if I might ask? Do you not have room for a 240mm aio? Generally the price between top air and a decent aio are pretty close...

Just figured I would ask if you were opposed or limited on the ability to consider and aio

Mainly because i can't afford an open loop one, and have been warned about buying a closed loop one. If something goes wrong with a closed loop one, it's very hard to fix without sending it back to it's maker. Or so i have been.

Last edited:
Mainly because i can't afford an open loop one, and have been warned about buying a closed loop one. If something goes wrong with a closed loop one, it's very hard to fix without sending it back to it's maker. Or so i have been.

it's the Pumps and probably shouldn't run straight water could try some solution maybe?, but the frostlow idk started getting hot idling hotter. d14 does great though just need more tim out of the nt-h1 and that id paste isn't doing as well and it seems like that mounting mechanism and high pressure has really good heat transfer, those pumps just float on the lid pretty much.

I'm gonna get aggravated and try delid it's too hot out now, your gonna chip knick one of those resistors though watch tear it up.

If you're going to delid, buy one of those delidding tools. They're pretty foolproof.

If you're going to delid, buy one of those delidding tools. They're pretty foolproof.

Oh would be an attempt/ got a Safety Razor Blade I think I could actually do it and the d14 might still mount or that ID pump might. I think would still mount and touch I don't know it's worth a shot maybe. or really it's just the higher end TIM gonna try out waiting on this Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut stuff that might do keep it away from core max more.

Go with NH-D15, While the V8 GTS is a good cooler, it's a pain to install, I have 1 and I have the sore knuckles to prove it :). Noctua coolers are easier to install.

Go with NH-D15, While the V8 GTS is a good cooler, it's a pain to install, I have 1 and I have the sore knuckles to prove it :). Noctua coolers are easier to install.

Yeah was a Breeze to Install and I like that Mounting Mechanism brackets spring/screw get pretty high mounting pressure on the Lid.

Back