• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help installing my new cpu cooler for intel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaitlin4599

ok so i recently bought a CORSAIR A70 used for 20$ it came with all the parts. any how i followed a guide for installing it on a socket 775 motherboard, and the guide told me to put the O rings on the X bracket aka the back plate before installing the back plate into the motherboard. however when i do this the O rings keep the bracket away from the motherboard am i doing something wrong? below is a link to both the guide and the newegg cpu cooler link do the O ring go under the mobo between the mobo and back plate or above the mobo between the mobo and cpu cooler mounting bracket?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181011

maybe post a picture of it so we can see?
*In the guide it looks like his o-ring is thread over something in there (bottom).

did some more research theres a plastic piece that fits over the metal to prevent the backplate from touching the mobo im gonna install the O rings in the back and see how it goes

Sometimes you have to tip the backside bracket on one side or corner to get the threads on one corner or one side started a little bit and then push on the other side to get a screw started. They can be difficult to get started but once you get a screw on each side started with just a turn or two then you can work on the other side to get one or two started. Once they are started you can suck the bracket up snug all around.

Sometimes you have to tip the backside bracket on one side or corner to get the threads on one corner or one side started a little bit and then push on the other side to get a screw started. They can be difficult to get started but once you get a screw on each side started with just a turn or two then you can work on the other side to get one or two started. Once they are started you can suck the bracket up snug all around.

thanks the corsair instructions are very vague but from what i read on google the O rings go under the mobo

Yes, aren't those cooler mounting instructions real winnners! I've never seen any of them very well done or found them to be very helpful. For one thing the diagrams are usually in 2D. By the way, I used to own one of those Corsair A70s. It's a beast! I had it mounted on an AMD system however, so it was easier. Just a lever that passed through the heat pipes and clipped onto the stock bracket nubs.

Back