• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCing old rig - but I got stuck can you help me? pls

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Guys, how should I stress on Prime95? Small FTTs or Large Ftts?
I thought Large Ftts was way to go, but then someone told me the small ftts are much better.
Whats the deal?
Need to test my rig overnight.

maybe i did my post backwards or i forgot something, dont run unlinked and set ram speed. as that is where it comes up with its own ratio based on fsb speed to reach the desired ram speed. that is where you will wind up with ratio holes where it wont boot. though it does seem like you have things worked out a bit.

also keep in mind the 780i is not the same as the 790i desite being a 7xx chipset, the 780i is a 680i chipset with NV200 PCIE chip. which connects to the standard 16 lanes on the 680i chipset then makes 32 lanes for both NV cards to each have 16 lanes each. 790i was the only NV chipset to have 3way sli as it still used a NV200 chip but the first pcie 16x slot was tied directly to the chipset while the other 16 lanes talked to the NV200 chip for the 32 other lanes for the 2 other cards.

Guys, how should I stress on Prime95? Small FTTs or Large Ftts?
I thought Large Ftts was way to go, but then someone told me the small ftts are much better.
Whats the deal?
Need to test my rig overnight.
I normally run the Prime 95 blend test personally, can't speak for others.

I only run the Small FFT's test occasionally. Don't think I've ever run the Large FFT's test.

I normally run the blend test in Prime95 as well but a lot of guys run small FFT. Blend test stresses the memory better. Small FFT drives the CPU cores harder.

blend stresses the chipset memory controller, small stresses the cpu, but do custom for fitting it all in the cpus L2 cache. use large for making sure your ram and chipset are good, if just checking ram for error memtest86.

Back