• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SPACECAKE

Registered
So i was looking around and i found a prety cheap x58 motherboard and a xeon x5650 to go with it and i was thinking whether i should swith to that. Now i have an amd fx 8350 and a msi 970 gaming motherboard, the cpu is overclocked to 4.5ghz.

I would not take 5 technology generation backward steps. Stay where you are. It's only one generation behind the times.

Depends on what you are doing with it. Apps that can take very good advantage of multicore CPUs might do a tad better with the xeon. The AMD FX line employs architecture that cripples the multicore environment through the way the cores have to share resources. In some ways they are not true independent cores.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Xeon-X5650-vs-AMD-FX-8350

Ah is see, but i mainly use my computer for gaming and video editing. So would you think the xeon would be better at performing these tasks?

Typically, gaming performance is more tied to "per core" processing power (though that is slowly changing) and video editing will thrive on lots of cores. So your range of use spans that spectrum. You won't be able to make an easy choice between based on use. The ideal chip for you would be an i7.

Last edited:
I'm on quite a tight budget so ryzen or kaby lake is a little out of my reach i think.

If you cant pony up the cash for a more significant upgrade, id hold off until you can. At least Haswell level...or a quad with smt ryzen...

Yep.

The quad core ryzen is the way to go on a budget. 1400 or 1500x on a b350 board with 2800 to 3000 ddr4.

the 1500x is the sweet spot for performance and price.

$169 for processor, $80 or so for ram, and $80 to $120 for the Mobo. save up, its worth it.

The motherboard and cpu combined would cost me around 95 euros, and i could sell my old motherboard and cpu for probably more then that so i wouldn't be losing any money. Plus it's a motherboard that does support overclocking, and when overclocked to 4ghz i saw that it performs simular to an i7 5620k at stock speed which costs a lot more.

Save money for a significant upgrade. You are paying to overclock...i dont find that worth it.

I second that statement from Earthdog.

It's very important to know when an upgrade is worth it, or to pinch pennies a bit longer for one that will be substantially more worthwhile.

I do however have an i7 3820 but no motherboard for it, so should i perhaps get a motherboard for that and use that instead?

I was also wondering whether to upgrade my gpu, right now i have a r9 380 4gb from msi.

yeah, you're gpu is getting a little long in the tooth but it will still play a lot of titles with good frame rates. So if you are operating on a budget you need to prioritize. Personally, I would upgrade the motherboard/cpu/RAM first as those are foundational components.

Back