• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird frameskip(hiccup)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RustyMetropolis

Hey guys! I apologize if this is in the wrong section, but I put it here, because I assume my issue to be video card related.

I have recently purchased Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords on Steam. It's the updated version with all the restored content, etc.

When playing, I will get this weird hiccup or frameskip every 2-3 minutes. I have tried every setting I can think of to alleviate this and have had zero luck. The only thing I've been able to stop is the skip occuring during scripted scenes.(It's never done it in the FMV sequences). My specs are listed below

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990-XA-UD3(with the latest BIOS)
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance
CPU: AMD FX-4100 Quad Core 3.6GHz(stock speed and voltage)
GPU: EVGA GTX 460 1GB DDR5
Cooling: I am running the stock fans that came installed in my case. 2x120mm in the rear for exhaust, 1 in the front for intake, and a 220mm side fan. The case has variable control(dials) for intake and exhaust, which I run on max when gaming, just to be safe.
PSU: 630 watt Rosewill

I am also using a 40" smart tv as my display, running at 1920x1080 60Hz, which is supported by the latest update to the game.

I have also installed PSensor to monitor GPU/CPU usage and temps while the game is running. I have not noticed a "drop" in FPS(have no way of measuring it in Linux), but it only last about a half a second every few minutes. My temperatures never even come close to the manufacturer's max allowed. I get around 50 max on CPU, and around 65-66 max on the GPU.

The GPU is running at 100% when gaming, and the CPU usage never climbs over 40%.

I cannot, for the life of me, figure out where this issue is coming from. I have heard of bottlenecks, but was under the impression that if the GPU is taking full load off the processor, that was not the case. Would overclocking the card possibly fix this? Can someone please help? Thanks!

Last edited:
I tend to think it might be your 1 gig of video ram.
I think I remember battlefront using 3 gigs of vram, so try it with some of the video settings turned down and see if that changes anything.

I see that it's a 2003 game and it's dx9.
I had one older game that would stutter once in a while, it was reading from the hdd and an ssd cured it but, it was just the one game.

Back