• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"The system has POSTed in safe mode"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

E-matlet

Hello,

I have been having problems with my motherboard POSTing, which began when I updated the bios from ver. 2003 --> 3016 some months ago. This problem only occurs if I turn on the computer after it has been powered down for several hours.
I can circumvent the error screen with ctrl+alt+del, after which the system boots normally. My specs are in my signature, and a screenshot of the error is attached to this post.

I haven't found much information online regarding this error, which is why I'm hoping this forum could be helpful (as it has been many times before).

Edit: I managed to solve the problem by clearing the CMOS. Somehow I have a feeling that the POST issues were due to an XMP profile I had active for my RAM. Regardless, I am never updating my bios again just for the sake of being "up-to-date". Thank you everyone for your help! :)

Last edited:
Then I would back flash the bios. With some Asus boards you will need the driver/utility disk that came with the motherboard to do this. I had this issue recently with an Asus Z170 Pro and wanted to downgrade the bios to an earlier version. It wouldn't let me do it. I contacted Asus and they sent me directions but don't have them anymore.

Last edited:
Then I would back flash the bios. With some Asus boards you will need the driver/utility disk that came with the motherboard to do this. I had this issue recently with an Asus Z170 Pro and wanted to downgrade the bios to an earlier version. It wouldn't let me do it. I contacted Asus and they sent me directions but don't have them anymore.

Did you manage to fix the issue by somehow downgrading the bios? The problem is that I don't have any kind of utility disk to do that with. I've flashed to the latest bios but the issue still recurs. I've contacted Asus now about the issue.

Edit: Would you happen to know if there is anything to be done with the bios chip?

Last edited:
You should be able to download the BIOS from Asus' support website.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I did download the latest bios and flashed it, but the issue remains. It is not possible to downgrade the bios without some kind of tool, and I am not sure how this is done.

It can be done with the disc that came with the mobo, but I don't know if you can burn the file to a DVD or CD and install it that way.

edit: Upon further reflection, I've dropped a potential fix, on ethical grounds.

Last edited:
E-matlet, I informed you in post #2 and Alaric repeated it in his last post that the OEM driver/utility disk is necessary to back flash. You might be able to get Asus to send you one. This is one feature of at least some Asus boards that turns me off. ASRock doesn't do this to you.

Alright, thank you very much to you both. I will be in contact with Asus and see how it goes.

Thank you so much everyone, for your help. I managed to fix the problem, as explained in my first post. :)

Thank you so much everyone, for your help. I managed to fix the problem, as explained in my first post. :)

Do you mean you cleared the CMOS or do you mean you restored the bios to an earlier version? I ask because you indicated that the bios update caused the problem. Clearing the CMOS does not change the bios version. Only "flashing" can change the bios version.

Do you mean you cleared the CMOS or do you mean you restored the bios to an earlier version? I ask because you indicated that the bios update caused the problem. Clearing the CMOS does not change the bios version. Only "flashing" can change the bios version.
I mean that I cleared my CMOS. I think that XMP (or whatever it was) stopped working properly after the bios update to version 3016.

I'm aware of what clearing the CMOS does. I am just happy that the problem was fixable through bios settings, which made everything much easier. :)

Last edited:
Hello,

I have been having problems with my motherboard POSTing, which began when I updated the bios from ver. 2003 --> 3016 some months ago. This problem only occurs if I turn on the computer after it has been powered down for several hours.
I can circumvent the error screen with ctrl+alt+del, after which the system boots normally. My specs are in my signature, and a screenshot of the error is attached to this post.

I haven't found much information online regarding this error, which is why I'm hoping this forum could be helpful (as it has been many times before).

Edit: I managed to solve the problem by clearing the CMOS. Somehow I have a feeling that the POST issues were due to an XMP profile I had active for my RAM. Regardless, I am never updating my bios again just for the sake of being "up-to-date". Thank you everyone for your help! :)

Hello guys ıs the problem solved ?

He fixed the problem by clearing the CMOS. Maybe you should start a thread if that doesn't work for you

Back