• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sky vs Kaby upgrade question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TransformedBG

So i have a randomish question. Im debating upgrading my pc again... Currently My habits include mostly finishing my degree in information science with a minor in computer science. So i have been rendering videos, web design etc as well as building programs and such. I also enjoy gaming Battlefield, WOW, Overwatch, COD, Ghost recon, etc. So i like things that play well not necessarily top of the line.

Currently im using:
Asus z97-ar mobo
4790K i-7
8gb Patriot 2400mh Viper ddr3
xfx 280x R9 Double Black (used to have x--fire but one crapped on me)
antech 900w bronze psu
and a evo 212 cooler
Thermaltake spedo case

Ive really been considering doping my thermaltake spedo case and picking up something else. Cause i think i want to attempt water cooling for the first time in my life. But I figure i could start with the hardware part first.

So My main question is, if i jumped to something like a z270 mobo and upgraded my ram to ddr4 how much would i be limiting myself I left the 4790k in it? was thinking about using my old parts for a pc for my wife and just picking up a cheaper processor? I mean i know it wouldn't be putting those parts to their full potential, but it would leave me room to upgrade later since CPU priced have stated to fall a little. I mean i could just totally flop and go Ryzen which im not 100% opposed to.

Ive just been shopping around getting some ideas im really not sure what motherboard to pick up, i have been reading reviews etc, ideally I either want something all black, or has some grey in it but i mean thats not a deal breaker for me. I just was thinking ahead encase i want to mod it up and make it look sweet.

mobo open
ram open (just ddr 4 and something with a speed around 2400/3200?)
CPU is my question
GPU i was looking at the EVGA FTW Gaming 1070
other than that just open to ideas and suggestions.

A Z270 motherboard will not be compatible with a 4790k. The former is socket 1151 and the latter is socket 1150.

OC that i7 and get a new gfx card

I was thinking about that too... But at the same token ddr3 prices are still stupid high for anything over 2400 even if i wanted to go to 2400 2x8 im looking to pay what i would for ddr4... i figured i could either sell this off or let my wife use it for her day to day, and maybe just sell the processor and downgrade to something like an i5 or i3... She mostly just does some Transcribing, wathcing youtube and playing adds on the computer. Then jiust go ahead and upgrade my stuff. I mean it would be a nice upgrade from her core 2 duo....

Granted no i have no idea what processor or motherboard to grab. video wise im thinking a 1070 will do nicely for 4k gaming. any thoughts on that?

For 4K gaming I would go with GTX 1080 or GTX 1080ti. Also for a processor i7 7700k and motherboard Z270.

For 4K gaming I would go with GTX 1080 or GTX 1080ti. Also for a processor i7 7700k and motherboard Z270.

Agree. A 1070 won't do 4k gaming unless you turn everything down but the volume. LOL. Honestly, for 4k I'd look at a 1080 Ti or Titan Xp. Or wait and see what AMD has with Vega.

Agree. A 1070 won't do 4k gaming unless you turn everything down but the volume. LOL. Honestly, for 4k I'd look at a 1080 Ti or Titan Xp. Or wait and see what AMD has with Vega.

yeah vega does look promising, im just hoping it will bring some prices down....

the 4790K, overclocked will do all you need to do, just get a 1080TI and some water cooling.

1080 ti or vega if amd manages to succeed. I hope they do, because that may mean more competitive pricing when I am ready to make the plunge for 4k gaming.

The monitors are the big setback right now.

Back