• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FAH servers down for maintenance 7/6/17 thru 7/7/17.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Macaholic

Make your own maintenance plans accordingly;

Official announcement

Pande Lab said:
Hello Everyone,

SERVERS DOWN JULY 6 & 7,2017

The Stanford Research Computing Facility hosting some of our key Folding@home servers will be carrying a maintenance to their electricity system on Thursday & Friday, July 6 &7th. We expect F@H to be down those days. So please prepare for outage. Sorry for the inconvenience it may cause!

Best,

Folding at Home team!

Since this last scheduled shutdown, I still have a few machines that are refusing to pick up a WU. One is an intel i7 and the other two are 7970's. They say they can't connect to stanford. I have tried rebooting the machines with no effect. The wifi is working fine for other purposes so its not a connection problem on my end.

Any ideas?

Since this last scheduled shutdown, I still have a few machines that are refusing to pick up a WU. One is an intel i7 and the other two are 7970's. They say they can't connect to stanford. I have tried rebooting the machines with no effect. The wifi is working fine for other purposes so its not a connection problem on my end.

Any ideas?

delete the cores, work and log folders then restart.

I noticed a one day hitch in the gitty up, and was resolved within about 6-9 hours of reporting. But otherwise lost more time to a WinTen Crash & Burn, an older Win feature that they must still have a lot of in stock. That was Monday the 10th so I'm sure my daily totals were barely impacted by Stanford.

The Win C&B was most likely incited by WinOffice Outlook which has given me enough headaches that I haven't bothered to reload it or any of the Office package, found LibreOffice works just fine for my needs over the years anyway.

Last edited:
delete the cores, work and log folders then restart.

Didn't do anything, it appears some CPU and GPU folders simply can't connect to FAH. The network is working normally for other things like firefox, but for FAH I get the message that the system can't translate FAH addresses.

I think it has something to do with upgrading from 14 to 16 ubuntu.

UPDATE

I believe I have narrowed it down to the fact opencl isn't detected by FAH. Previously I had downloaded what I thought was opencl but it no longer works properly. Any suggestions to download opencl for ubuntu 16.04?

Last edited:
Didn't do anything, it appears some CPU and GPU folders simply can't connect to FAH. The network is working normally for other things like firefox, but for FAH I get the message that the system can't translate FAH addresses.

I think it has something to do with upgrading from 14 to 16 ubuntu.

UPDATE

I believe I have narrowed it down to the fact opencl isn't detected by FAH. Previously I had downloaded what I thought was opencl but it no longer works properly. Any suggestions to download opencl for ubuntu 16.04?

Re-install GPU drivers. That should do it.

from a command prompt.

sudo apt-get install nvidia-cuda-toolkit
sudo apt-get install clinfo

This will install the NVidia opencl drivers and cl info, once they are both installed run clinfo to see a list of installed and recognized opencl devices

Problem solved -- YAY

The following commands enable opencl according to the Ubuntu ASK

sudo apt update
sudo apt install ocl-icd-opencl-dev

and that worked to get opencl recognized.

For some reason my DNS was not able to translate assign3.stanford.edu into an IP address. I was able
to find a public DNS 208.67.220.220 and insert that in Ubuntu network by editing my network connection.

All is working fine again.

Last edited:
Back