• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just my opinion.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chawken

I might be out of line, in some members opinion, but I felt that I needed to state my opinion in reference to the April Fools joke. It is in 3 parts.

Part 1, in Lonely Ravens defense of the April Fools joke, I truly believe that it was done without malice intended. This is a team that is more like a family than anything else. A great concern, however, came about because what was a joke, seemed more like a reality. I know that I was totally fooled by the situation - a congratulations post on 3/27 for LR's 10k milestone, and LR responding that it was time to retire. A lot of us took that with a grain of salt. Later, the post about switching teams, well that seemed like it could be real. Many of us, myself included, would hate to see such a great guy and valuable member of the team leave. It is like losing a member of the family. I hope that I haven't offended you LR - but many of us didn't see the situation as an April Fools joke - April Fools jokes usually take place on April 1st. I hope that you can see that many of us value you as a part of this team, and would hate to see you leave in any fashion.

Part 2 is a word of Praise. Had this situation not been an April Fools joke - lets face it, probably 90% of us believed it to be real - the fact that another team would come into our house (forums) and bribe away our members, well that is extremely unethical. Praise must go to Jeremy (SpeeDj) for defending our forums and our team. Jeremy, being one of the at least 90% who believed this was real, basically attacked the Athlonmb.com team for their unethical practices, in their house (forums) and in their IRC channel. Kind of like a scene out of West Side Story - they invaded our turf, and SpeeDj attacked them right back. I think Jeremy showed excellent leadership, and should be praised for his quick response to what was believed to be a serious situation.

Part 3 is also a word of Praise. A word of Praise, and a deep apology must go out to the Frogs. They showed great character in trying to resolve a very sticky situation. Dave (n715dp), I hope that is his name, if not my apologies, posted in his forums and ours and was ready to kick the alledged bribing member out of their forums and off of their team. We talk about stomping the frogs - that is pure friendly competition - but I would like it known that I have a much higher respect for their team now.

Not to try and upstage Carl's excelent expression on this matter I thought I would use this thread to add my own opinion on The Joke of 2002.

I must say this is the best Aprils Fools Joke I have seen pulled off in quite some time and indeed congratulations on that point to Raven. :) Its good to have a sense of humor in life and I think most of us do actually have one.

I also feel that our Co-leader J did his proper job in trying to defend the integrity of the team, as did Dave from amdmb.com, in reacting to what looked like a very nasty sitution. I don't think J should feel bad about his actions...part of which included trying to contact Raven and others that he felt might know something about the situation.

I would like to comment on the subject of the Joke of 2002. Many teams, most of any size, have had to deal with members who were cheating or who caused problems in the team. I know we have and I knew amdmb.com has as well. It just so happens that the subject of getting a bribe offer to switch teams is not very funny to many on such teams...its like yelling fire in a theater or talking about a bomb at the airport or on the plane. The types of things that could be detrimental to the integrity of the team are always going to be a bit touchy. Raven is well within his rights and freedoms to express his sense of humor just as the team leadership is within its rights and responsibilities to defend their teams. Lets just try to think about the content of such humor, or the humor of any joking that occurs in the forums or in the IRC channel. Lets all try not to cause undue stress or hurt by our humor. If a similar situation should occur in the future and anyone in or around the situation knows that something is a joke but that it has taken a wrong turn for one or more individuals I would ask that the joke be exposed before things get out of hand. A joke is a joke until someone looses an eye! ;)

To reinforce what Carl said Raven is a valuable member of our team. He is active and works very hard to help others. No one wants to see something such as this ruin the relationship the team has with him and he has with the team. :)

Cy

I what to join here expresing the following:

Lonely Raven has the right to pull a joke according to the date (April 1st). As always some guys found this joke a little bit offensive (and they also have the right to feel that way), and as such tried to correct the situation. This puts into light one of the reasons we are a big family: when someone sees a wrong done to the family, he tries to correct it.

This situation showed that the competiton between OC.com and AMDmb.com is a friendly one. We, as whole, do not sponsore unclean tactics to best the other team. As shown with the guy that was spitting 30 seconds WU a little while ago or the benz inquire, OC SETI team do not like cheaters into their rank and file. We want o reach the top in the cleanes way possible.

Also as shown by the AMDmb.com members that frecuent this site also became a little outraged that one of their members tried to pull a trick so low.

I did take it as a joke, but some people might not taken it so lightly. This remaind me of an incedent that happened a little while ago in the GD forum. You might have seen it, but here is a long story short:

A guy was asked to remove his avatar, as it showed a pretty lady dancing around a pole. This was because someone found it offensive. After a long disccussion around it, we reached a point where you have to see that this community (as many others around the internet) conglomerates a lot of people from different countries, with radically different outlooks of life. This makes that some topics are more touchy that others, specially when you wander away from the computer world.

I hope this incident do not provoke any hard feelings between our members, as it has happened in the past.....everytime one of our members, specially the ones that come to this forum to express ttheir opinions and share their experience, leaves I feel very sad, just like when you fight with someone of your house.

Mictlan

Back