• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm still lost about sharing a cable connection

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

It_The_Cow

I'm looking to find a simple system that will share internet access between my sister's and my computer (possibly more in the future). From what I can figure out, I'll need a modem, a router, and two NIC's. Is that all I essentially need?

If so, does anyone have any recommendations to which router I should look into? A 4-port one would be best. The NICs won't be a problem, and I'll eventually figure out how to set things up

Depends on what type of connection, first of all.

If it's broadband, it's quite easy. NIC for each PC, cable/DSL modem and a router. Setting it all up is ery easy and we'll all be here to walk you through it once you have it.

As far as brands go, I prefer NetGear, LinkSys or SMC. They seem to be the most popular and trouble-free. They are all very similar though and about any should suit your needs if you're only after simple internet sharing.

Well I've narrowed down my router choices to four

LinkSys BEFSR41
Linksys BEFSRU31
Netgear RT314
SMC Barricade 7004ABR

I'm leaning towards the SMC

Don't use the linksys routers, use either the Netgear or the SMC. The advantage of the netgear is that you get a bit better firewall and some configuration options that you will not get on the SMC. However, the SMC's tend to be a bit cheaper and will do the job just as well. Some do not like the SMC's as thier failure rate is a bit higher, but I have installed six of them an none have had any problems whatsoever. I buy based on price between the SMC and netgear, i.e. which one is cheaper at Fry's.

yeah, i'm wondering too!! :rolleyes:

i'm using a Linksys wireless AP & Router + 4 ports Switch here. didn't have any problem at all since day one! and it's very easy to set up even for novice.

and base on the past, i always love Linksys product. very reliable too. also has a Linksys 5 ports switch too.

I use the LinkSys BEFSR41 & have found it very easy to install/configure & have had no problems with it since it was installed.

This is what I did: 3Com cable modem Office Connect (my own) plug in to 4 port Hub (I know, but it's all I have) you plug modem in 1 st purt, it's uplink. Plug other comp ( i have 3) in to other ports. And there you go... Up and runing, with no extra.
If you get switch, it's better, or router. But it's easy is ABC.
Just like that.

Linksys is good, but my D-Link is just as good, and I got mine at best buy for really cheap... 40 bucks.

<rant>
My linksux BEFSR41 can go to hell. I've had nothing but problems with it. I'm not a n00b to the whole computer/networking gig either.

The router is constantly losing sync w/ the modem and the PPPoE is constantly giving me problems not being able to reconnect after the router loses sync.
And when I had Cable internet, it would constantly choke my bandwidth. I thought it was my cable line but when I made a router out of a spare computer w/ windows 2000 server, the difference was like night and day.

Every single linksys product i've ever purchased (this is going back at leat 4 years) has been total crap. I was hoping this router would be the exception since I heard a lot of good things about it, however it's a big pile of steaming shyte just like all their other products.
</rant>

my .02

-D9K

Back