• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Long Overdue.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chawken

This explanation has been long overdue.

As many of you know - I had left the team back towards the beginning of December 2001. I eventually landed on a team with a great bunch of guys - Sir Epix team, Novastar. My leaving the ocsetiteam team was the result of many things, mostly the team being in chaos, lack of leadership and an incident of distrust. Maybe my actions were a bit childish and I over reacted to the situation, it seemed easier to quit than deal with any problems that were going on. For my reaction, I do apologize to the team.

During my absense, I did receive emails and PM's regarding my leaving, and to some I responded. Now please understand that I do not want to sound like a kiss arse. One individual hounded me, plagued me with emails and PM's, and that was one of the individuals that was a reason for my leaving. Even after basically telling that individual off, he persistantly kept in contact with me, kept me up to speed on what was happening with the team. That individual was Jeremy (SpeeDj). Some could say that I may have come back just to shut Jeremy up - but the reason was that he really cared about the team, and made me see that this really is the best team to crunch for. I have to hand it to Jeremy, he went way out of his way to preserve the team, this showed me that there really was a team leader.

I have to admit - the team members on this team are by far the best in the program. This is a good caring team, a nice big family - and thank god that Sir-Epix and friends also joined up. Now, some have expressed distrust about any involvement that I have in this team - and justifiably so - I would not expect anyone to trust right now - but I do want all here to know that I will be around to the end.

Lastly, not an explanation, this is just an observation. There still seems to be a lack of true team unity with ocsetiteam. I would hope that the members here would pool together and get rid of the us vs. them attitude. I have talked to many members, and many members have seen the same thing, and it only weakens a team. This team - a year ago - wasn't even in the top 100, and now look at us - by the end of the year we will be in the top 25. That is an awesome acomplishment. I would hope that the team would unite together, throw away any negative attitudes they may have towards other members and strengthen the team.

From personal experience, I know that Jeremy is very approachable, and more than willing to help make this the best team in the Seti @ home project. If any of you have suggestions or complaints then PM him or come out to the IRC channel and msg him. For anyone who doesn't know about the IRC channel - it is on the DALnet server channel name #ocsetiteam.

Sorry if I have bored you - but in closing, again I would like to apologize to all members for my conduct when I unexpectedly left the team back in December 2001. I would also like to say that I am glad to be back, and that I think that this is the greatest bunch of guys/gals to crunch with, and I am proud to be a member of this team.

Crunch On.

As chawken is saying one of the greatest things that we have in this team is the great sense of friendship every member get from anyone else. So far, we have very little problems within, and most of them could be solved with some good talk between the parties involved.Since I joined this great team (about 1 year ago), we have grown a lot, not just in the total WU or members, but in the community sense. This means that everyone involved in this team is appreciated and all comments are welcome.

So in the end, I can tell that this team is one of the greatest, with a high interest in the human behind the stats. I'm full of joy that you and Luke managed to solve the misunderstandings that provoked your temporary absense from this team, and welcomes you back, as a travelling brother returning home.

Mictlan

all i wanna say is......

this IS a family for me (and most of u guys/gals, i'm sure). and everyone in here is just like brother/sister or friends.

just united together and crunch on (for our big family), everyone!! :)

As TC said, these are some interesting comments Chawken. I need to ask for some additional clarification with one note however. You said that there are some individuals who feel there is an "us vs. them" attitude within this team. I haven't seen that attitude myself. Would you be willing to provide examples, without pointing fingers or naming names, of course? You could PM if you wanted, but I think the group might benefit as a whole if we all learned to recognize the words or behaviors that discredit the team unity.

Thank you.

As TC said, these are some interesting comments Chawken. I need to ask for some additional clarification with one note however. You said that there are some individuals who feel there is an "us vs. them" attitude within this team. I haven't seen that attitude myself. Would you be willing to provide examples, without pointing fingers or naming names, of course? You could PM if you wanted, but I think the group might benefit as a whole if we all learned to recognize the words or behaviors that discredit the team unity.

I could be wrong but I would think after last night that would be me.

It seems I am opening my mouth alot lately and I hope others understand that I am just trying to share an opinion and raise the occassional point of a discussion.

I delayed in replying to this thread for two reasons...I did not want to seem like a thread stealer and usurp Carl's impact. I also want time to digest the implications of the statments and to read a few of the responses.

I watched this team a long time before deciding to join. Now that I have been participating for some time I am happy with my decision. I see a lot of great comraderie within the team...members helping members and others who stop by. I see friendly rivals one on one and also through the sub-team races. With the growing numbers of members we enjoy and that has led to our success and growth there will always be a wide range of personalities. We certainly have our share on this team...and that is a very good thing. We don't all have to perfectly agree. We don't all have to be the best of friends. We do have a great place to hang out...some others who are like minded and access to a huge knowledge base of information.

I see this diversity as a healthy sign. If we had this many members and everyone was a clone i would be worried! :) I am happy in our diversity and in our consensus.

We can all get what we want from the team, give what we want to the team and share what we want with the team.

Thank you to everyone who helps to make this a great team. I crunch SETI for fun and participating with this team is fun. :)

Cy

My original intent in this thread was to post an apology to the team about my leaving back in December, and stating that I am happy to be back with this team. I also wanted to give credit to Jeremy, because of his persistance in wanting to preserve the team, and even after all the personal attacks against him from me, he kept after me. I made some statements of observation, and they seem to have been taken as an attack, rather than constructive critisism.

I whole heartedly admit that when the problems of Oct - Dec were going on, that I bailed on the team instead of hanging in there and trying to help find a solution. I was a major hypocrit in that aspect, and may not have the right to make the observation that I did - as I am a part of the original problem.

I have received several emails and PM's since posting this thread, some have called me a hypocrit - and those who did have every right to do so. Some have supported what I said. To clarify my observation - in a manner that does not point fingers at any individuals, except back at myself - the problem of Oct - Dec was a lack of communication. I think that many were confused, or felt that the team was destined for destruction - at least I did, and some others that had communicated the same to me.

I truly think that this is an outstanding team, with great members and as many have stated, we are like a family. Every family will have its ups and downs, and it looks as if I have started a down cycle. What I observed, and the point of that observation, is to point out that some aspects of this team effort could afford better communications. If any of us have problems with another, then there are avenues to try and remedy the situations. That we need to give great efforts to resolve any of our differences. To be a great team means being a TEAM, everyone working together, to make this team grow and to make it fun to crunch for.

If I have offended anyone with my first post, or with this one - then please accept my apology as it was not written to offend anyone.

I participate in several forums. This type of thing is not unusual. Emotions get involved and things blow up.

I'm not aware of what happened, since I'm a pretty new participant, but it's good to see you here.

Chawken, I personally don't see that you have started a "down" cycle with your comments. I think your thoughts are enlightening and it's clear you're working to keep your comments constructive and positive. So, keep it up.

Basher, with all the hard work you do for the team, especially the daily stats, I don't see that you could ever be accused of not being a "team member!" Thank you.

As Cy said, I too watched this team, and this forum, for a long time before I joined. (I'm one of those "lurkers" you hear about.) This is a good group; I enjoy the sub-team rivalaries whether I participate or not; I enjoy the individual rivalaries despite having been whipped a couple of times (no names, but I'm still eating rogerduggans dust!). So, I'm going to stick around and throw in my few WUs whenever I can. See you in the stats!

Mictlan said:
As chawken is saying one of the greatest things that we have in this team is the great sense of friendship every member get from anyone else.

Amen to that, I just joined this team & started my SETI questing, and I was pretty much amazed how friendly everyone is! I will be staying with this group all the time I'm crunching my WU's for sure! :beer:

Stryfe said:
I've only been around a month and I already feel at home :)
The people here are awesome. These forums, especially the SETI section are part of my daily routine now.

yup. as i've said, this is one big family. everyone here r so friendly (even if we r fighting for position in the ranking :p ), and so willing to help each other. and that's the whole point that i love this forum (SETI) and TEAM!!

there really isnt' a day goes by w/out visiting the forum or the stats page for me!! i could say i'm pretty much "LIVE" here!! :D

thank you very much for everyone who had/have/having make this place! :beer:

and as for the past, something happened, it happened. but 2morrow isn't come yet......(if u get what i mean...)

for those of u whose here for awhile, u might still remember my old sig. -->

Yesterday don't mean $hit,
It's 2morrow you (we) have to face!

crunch on!! ;)

I know what you have gone through. I am in the middle of the samething at the moment. I just left amdmb.com for problems with other members and have joined this team which was the best choice I could see. I am not dissapointed at all in the move BTW. I am working to resolve those problems with the people overthere and have made progress. If I ever decide to go back I want to know all the problems have been solved first. I honestly liked the team there very much. This place does remind me of it to a certain degree.

I do not know what caused your situation or what this teams status was then but it seems very solid now. I see decent leadership and enough active members in the forums to see good potential for this team to grow and prosper.

Anyway, we all have to remeber the greater cause and that all teams are after the same goal in the end!!!:beer:

Back