• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Transfer of System To Corsair Obsidian 900D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BobCochran

Registered
I transferred the system I had put into a Fractal Design Define R5 case to a Corsair Obsidian 900D case. The basic system is up and running with 1 hard drive. I would like to ask a few questions.

1. I need to put 5 hard drives in this system. Currently I am using the drive cage that installs in the very bottom right side. That is the cage that has "hot plug" SATA power and cable connectors built into it. If I want to install a watercooling kit such as the ones sold by EKWB, where is the best location for the hard drives? still in the very bottom right area?

2. The case comes with "Power LED" and "HDD LED" front panel power connectors. But where are these LED's located on the case? I don't see any LED activity. It could be that I reversed the polarity of the connectors...for a $330.00 case you'd expect to see these simple LEDs.

3. See the photo below. Does it look like I've left space in the "right" places for later water cooling both the video card and the processor? The video card you see installed is not the real video card that will be used. A GTX 1070 will become the "real" video card. Again looking at the picture, I see I have a lot of cable neatening-up to do. But this is not too bad for a day's work, yes?

Thanks a ton

Bob

corsair_obsidian_900D_working_system_small.jpg

1. Depending if you're still sticking with custom OR going all AIO which will be much cheaper and seeing that you're already using a AIO for the CPU, you can do the same for the GPU. Just need a hybrid conversion kit for the GPU and have that AIO's rad installed in front of the case by moving the bottom drive cage one notch to the left, leaving you some room for that rad installation for the front. If you're not going that route and completely custom, than yes, you'll need to reconfigure it all.

2. Check the front panel connectors installed on the MB. Might have to switch them around as you said. Also, depending on the main OS drive being used, for example, you won't get activity shown if you're using a M.2 2280 drive as it will only work with SATA HDs iirc.

3. I'm a bit confused as I don't know if you're going AIO on CPU and custom for GPU. I would either do full custom or go the cheaper route and much less of a hassle with just a AIO hybrid conversion kit for the GPU and call it a day.

1. Depending if you're still sticking with custom OR going all AIO which will be much cheaper and seeing that you're already using a AIO for the CPU, you can do the same for the GPU. Just need a hybrid conversion kit for the GPU and have that AIO's rad installed in front of the case by moving the bottom drive cage one notch to the left, leaving you some room for that rad installation for the front. If you're not going that route and completely custom, than yes, you'll need to reconfigure it all.

2. Check the front panel connectors installed on the MB. Might have to switch them around as you said. Also, depending on the main OS drive being used, for example, you won't get activity shown if you're using a M.2 2280 drive as it will only work with SATA HDs iirc.

3. I'm a bit confused as I don't know if you're going AIO on CPU and custom for GPU. I would either do full custom or go the cheaper route and much less of a hassle with just a AIO hybrid conversion kit for the GPU and call it a day.

Hi GTXJackBauer, thanks for responding to this. To clarify my intent, I really want to try an EKWB kit which would mean removing the Corsair H115i. However, for now there is no budget for that. I was able to take a half-step and suggest getting a much bigger case. That worked with my friend because it has plenty of room for all the hard drives. The plan is that for now, the H115i AIO stays in place, and the friend is migrated over to this new system -- with the addition of a number of hard drives and a high end video card. The friend is a little tired of waiting on me and wants the system and I have to admit I've dragged my feet too long. After handover it will be a case of wait-and-see. I am the one bitten with the strong wish to try even more liquid cooling. Maybe later.

I will check the front panel "Power LED" connections, but does this case even have a power LED at all? If so, where is it? The front panel power switch looks like a bar of greyness.

Thanks a ton

Bob

1. Depends on the size... there appears to be space up top..what does the manual say?

2. If the case has wires for led, its got an led ;).
2a. The hdd led works with m.2 drives (at least it has on several of my systems - havent had it not work, actually)

3. Not sure what you are doing for who...the goal... lol.. sorry.

As I don't have this case, I can't say where the LED's are.
As for hard drives, there should be 3 HDD cages that comes with the case. (see pic below) If you don't have 3, you can order them from Corsair.

11-139-019-25.jpg

He should have 3 cages that came with it.

I have two positioned at the mid section for a total of 6 drives with the bottom section for rads and the PSU.

22048492473_3a7f63831b_h.jpg

Back