• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A solid dual slot 1 board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

explorer

I am putting together a server with dual p2's and I need a solid slot 1 motherboard, anybody know of one?

Thanks,
Explorer

Abit VP-6 or BP-6 probably the best known overclockers dually boards ever....both will work with P2s but if you ever want to upgrade to PIIIs the VP-6 will be better....

If you can find anyone that sells them, the Maxtium BXAD (I know you've never heard of them) is a perfect board for that. I have one myself.

Otherwise, you'll probably have to go with a an older Tyan.

Yeah Tyan has some nice older dual Slot 1 boards. I believe it was still called the Tiger series and I also believe the Thunder series had dual slot 1 boards.

Gigabyte had an old slot 1 board.

Get a genuine Intel for cheap! Check out the M440LX for $29. It'll support slot 1 at 100mhz FSB, although for a Pentium III you'd need to go with an OR840 or similar, which would cost quite a bit more.

Avoid the MSI 6120-series. I bought two boards, the first one died after a year of use, and I got a new one on the warranty. But the replacement died a year later, but after the warranty went invalid. The second board died shortly after the replacement of the first board died. So I have two dead Slot-1 boards with four (4x) Celeron 300A CPU's which all ran at 450 MHz (4.5x100) perfectly fine. I also have four slotkets as the CPUs were Socket 370 and the board is Slot-1.. *sigh* :(

I bought an Abit BP-6 second hand and it keeps running and running but it has a few quirks as it fails to boot up after a warm reset - you have to let it cool of for a few minutes. But works great once it has booted but only works with dual Celeron PPGA (300-533 MHz). Great overclocking board as well, has all the bells and whistles you expect. :)

I also bought a MSI 694D board but I really shouldn't have with the bad record of the 6120's. But I did and frankly they suck. I can only run dual Celerons at default speed, it seems that the board is totally unstable at bus speeds over 83 MHz. It somewhat works at higher bus speeds but I get everything from corrupt harddrives and sporadic lockups. I've tried two Celeron 300's @ 450 MHz (100 MHz bus) and two P3-866 (133 MHz default bus speed) but I get the same identical problems.

DON'T BUY MSI DUAL BOARDS!!! :mad:
Take it from me; they don't know what they're manufacturing.

I have two older slot 1 Tyan boards w/ 440BX chipset: Thunder 100 and Tiger 100. I'm only using the Thunder right now and it is a nice solid board.

If you can find one, IWILL made some good dual slot 1 boards.

donny_paycheck said:
Get a genuine Intel for cheap! Check out the M440LX for $29. It'll support slot 1 at 100mhz FSB, although for a Pentium III you'd need to go with an OR840 or similar, which would cost quite a bit more.

You sure about 100 MHz FSB on that M440LX? I thought the LX's default was 66 MHZ.

Supermicro PIIIDRE or PIIIDR3
Intel OR840 (only support FSB133 SECC2)
Should be a good choice, but stay away from intel 820 chipset for dual setup.:D

moonguy said:
Supermicro PIIIDRE or PIIIDR3
Intel OR840 (only support FSB133 SECC2)
Should be a good choice, but stay away from intel 820 chipset for dual setup.:D

i wouldnt say so...ive heard that the ASUS P3C-D is a decent board...

I have a Tyan Thunder 2... it's a great board, just not very upgradeable, processor wise, but it's got nice onboard goodies, like an Adaptec SCSI controller, and a Yamaha soundcard on board, as well as an option for SCSI RAID controller too. I tried upgrading the processors to 366 celly's (with a slocket and that didn't work a few years ago). It's not overclockable though, but you might be able to with a slocket/golden socket combination, I don't know for sure though.

moonguy said:

I own that board ... Is stable, but the performance is not there.

I guess even a single RD-RAM channel has easily enough bandwith to keep a P3 happy (dual doesn't matter, one CPU at a time on the bus), but is there a way to overclock the RD-RAM on that board?

It's probably the mem latency that's holding you back.

A few good choices for dual slot 1 boards are the Tyan Tiger 100 revision F, Supermicro P6DBE and P6DGE. The tiger 100 and P6DBE are 440BX boards. The P6DGE is a 440GX board. 440GX is essentially the same as 440BX except it supports upto 2GB of ram as opposed to 1GB for the 440BX. If you get a Tiger 100 and you want it to support coppermines someday then you need a revision F. The Tiger 100 revision F, P6DBE, and P6DGE will all support 100Mhz FSB coppermines upto the 100Mhz FSB 1.0Ghz chips. Anyway, these were all good rock solid stable boards.

There are also some I840 slot 1 boards that were really good boards also. The only thing I don't know is whether the I840 boards will accept Pentium II processors or not. That might be an issue. I do know that some of the I840 boards, like the OR840, will work with 100Mhz FSB slot 1 coppermines even though it only officially claims support for 133Mhz FSB coppermines but I would'nt count on an old Pentium II working. For one thing the old Pentium IIs ran at a much higher Vcore.

Also, one thing that anyone should know about the slot 1 I840 boards is they don't like using slocket converter cards. So, if anyone does build a dual Pentium III I840 system they need to buy slot 1 cpus and not socket 370 as I don't of anyone who ever got any slocket converter cards to work in these boards. That's not really that much of an issue though as they made plenty of slot 1 coppermines.

Good luck finding any of these boards now as they are getting hard to come by. One place you might check is the for sale forum at www.2cpu.com

SP said:
A few good choices for dual slot 1 boards are the Tyan Tiger 100 revision F, Supermicro P6DBE and P6DGE. The tiger 100 and P6DBE are 440BX boards. The P6DGE is a 440GX board. 440GX is essentially the same as 440BX except it supports upto 2GB of ram as opposed to 1GB for the 440BX. If you get a Tiger 100 and you want it to support coppermines someday then you need a revision F. The Tiger 100 revision F, P6DBE, and P6DGE will all support 100Mhz FSB coppermines upto the 100Mhz FSB 1.0Ghz chips. Anyway, these were all good rock solid stable boards.[/url]

Hey SP, you seem to have quite a bit of knowledge with this stuff. There are several _440_X boards around so I was wondering if you know the differences between them all.

Although five years old now, I have a Asus P297-DS board with two Pentium 2 266's running at 300. It has the old LX chipset though so maybe a newer dual Asus board would be better.

I must say I have been very happy with the board and you might be able to pick one up dirt cheap second hand if you are very price concious.

Back