• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build price and performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

michal8998

Registered
Hello. I have two questions. Is this build still considered as high end? How much it is worth after one year of use? No problems with ith at all. Thank's

Gigabyte Z270 K3 Gaming
Fractal Design Edison M 650w Gold
Intel i7-7700K + Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Corsair Vangance LPX DDR4 2x8GB 3000MHz CL16
MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
Samsung M.2 960 PRO 512GB + SATA Samsung 840 Pro 250GB
Phantex Enthoo Pro case
Acer EB321 60Hz IPS 2560 x1440 31'5 inch
Microlab Solo 6c speakers
Focusrite Solo Gen 2 usb audio card
Windows 10 Pro x64 digital license

Last edited:
That's still a solid rig, no doubt. Given the end of Moore's Law for the foreseeable future, it should be solid for five more years, viable for twice that. I put a RX 480 in a Piledriver rig and turned it in to a solid 1080p gamer for several more years. I couldn't guess at the value of your build, but unless you have a need for more cores or huge chunks of RAM, you won't find anything new worth throwing money at to replace it.

I am litle bit scared of Nvidia RTX performance on Pascal in next years but if without that tech (availability to turn it off) this rig will last 5 years for 1440p/60fps (high/ultra) then I will be very very happy. CPU/GPU/RAM are OC'ed.

I plan on 5 more years of 1080p gaming on the rig in my signature, settings all the way up. Fortunately, most games are coded for the majority of gamers and not just for the dozen guys who want to run an i9 and three Titans in SLI as well as 128 GB of fast RAM. I think we'll be OK for a few more years. :D

It can be hard, look on GR Wildlands, I can't handle 60fps in 1440p at ultra settings or AC Origins, it is stable 60fps in 1440p at ultra but at its borderline, same with Watch Dogs 2. GPU is at 2050/11000 and cpu 5GHz on all cores.

Last edited:
I think the majority of gamers turn FPS into a pissing contest. If the game is playing well for you, then it doesn't matter what the FPS are. If you're finding it's getting choppy and want it better, turn down the settings. If that's not what you want, then an upgrade on the Gpu will be in order. As far as the processor, you'll be fine with it for at least the next few years.

I am the one who demand 60fps on high/ultra without any drops but I have no need for more Hz than 60. In AC origins CPU is at 100% in cities. 7700k can be not enough soon, even for 60Hz/60fps...

Last edited:
I think the majority of gamers turn FPS into a pissing contest. If the game is playing well for you, then it doesn't matter what the FPS are.

When playing I'm too busy dodging tank shells and airplanes to check a FPS counter. LOL

I am the one who demand 60fps on high/ultra without any drops but I have no need for more Hz than 60. In AC origins CPU is at 100% in cities. 7700k can be not enough soon, even for 60Hz/60fps...

Ok so if you're playing and do not watch or measure the frame rates, is the game playing well for you?

Depands on the game, but I can feel drop from 60 without fps meter and this is not fine. I am fine to play witcher 3 even with 30fps lock, still seems to be smooth, but drops from 60 in other games are unacceptable for me. I think I will go for i7 9xxx and next TI even for 1440p/60Hz. That's why I ask for a price for that rig. I don't want to change my monitor for gsync one for some reasons.

If this is for gaming, youd want z370 and 8700k. It combines the best of both worlds....speed and core/thread count. The x299 platform you will pay a premium for and will not return results for the extra money.

Also, there are a couple of "Ti" cards with wildly differing performance. Im assuming you mean flagship level...1080ti?

87xx is not a option for me. 97xx will be a better deal if I will get 8cores16 threads and a bit better single thread performance than 7700k.

Will it though? Your thinking is a bit off. :)

Skylake-x cpus are based off of.......wait for it.... skylake cpus. You currently have a kaby lake cpu (7700k) which is a hair fast ipc than skylake. Coffee lake (8700k) is a hair faster ipc wise than that and gives you the additional cores you are looking for. Skylake-x, partly due to its cache setup, isnt quite as strong at gaming (please read a review for confirmation) in most titles. The need for more than 8 cores and 16 threads in gaming wont be for at least a few years. Getting ahead of the curve isnt really getting ahead in this case.

Maybe, but I can see already fps drop in some games and it is caused by cpu ( 60Hz/fps )

better single thread performance than 7700k.

That you'll be lucky to see in benchmarks. If you need 8c/16t, by the time the 97xx (or whatever they call it then) shows up, Ryzen is likely to be a far better choice. At the rate Intel's 10nm is going, Ryzen 2 is on target to start hammering Intel in performance.

Most important thing for me is a price of that whole setup. I will handle path of upgrade just fine. How much I can ask for that whole build?

Back