• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how do i flash bios w/out a floppy drive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Emericana

i think i have a bad floppy controller on my mobo because i have tried everything to get my damn floppy drive to work but it does not.... anywho, the only thing i even use my floppy to do was flash my bios.. now that it does not work, how will i do it? i am running win xp professional... i have a plextor 24x cdrw and easy cd 5... is there anyway to make a bootable dos cd from there so i can flash?

go to bootdisk.com, make a DOS startup disk, and run your flash program from your HDD in DOS...I have done it like that several times

just put all the boot stuff onto a cd (boot files, bios flash files, etc) and set your bios to boot off of the cdrom.

i have it set right now to boot to cdrom first thing but it will not boot to a cdrom unless it is a bootable cdrom. if i just burn a cdrom, it wont goto the f: prompt (my cdrw drive) once i boot it. this is very annoying cause i really wanna flash to the latest bios version so i can go and get overclocking.

uhhh how am i supposed to use dos if i have winxp?
uhhh I think I just told you how
go to bootdisk.com, make a DOS startup disk, and run your flash program from your HDD in DOS...I have done it like that several times
XP has no DOS prompt from WITHIN Windows...it doesn't mean you can't boot your computer into DOS :rolleyes:

takiwa said:
uhhh I think I just told you how XP has no DOS prompt from WITHIN Windows...it doesn't mean you can't boot your computer into DOS :rolleyes:

huh??..Im looking at the DOS prompt right now....in WINXP.....Maybe im seeing things....well its the command prompt...but you can create a bootable CD with Nero...

so create a bootable CD, put the files to flash your BIOS on that CD.

Then boot from the cd, and run the flashing utility

K.I.S.S.

:D :D :D :D

All MS operating systems have some kinda dos. for NT based (WinNT, 2K, XP) it's just a shell (a window that can run INSIDE of yer OS), has no bearing on the OS at all. If you want to boot these NT systems into DOS, you have to find a different way.

Also when booting into DOS, remember that NTFS partitions won't be viewable. Just ignore whatever DOS says about yer drives, it proly won't mesh with what you know from WinHosed. GL

is the cable plugged in upside down on the floppy drive. light on constantly? a new floppy drive is like $10 or less.

All MS operating systems have some kinda dos. for NT based (WinNT, 2K, XP) it's just a shell (a window that can run INSIDE of yer OS), has no bearing on the OS at all. If you want to boot these NT systems into DOS, you have to find a different way.
Exactly...a command prompt is not DOS...try running a DOS-only program from that prompt, and the window will shut down.

Well, if your floppy drive is really hosed you could create another primary partition say about 20 megs and install dos on it. Boot up in pure dos and flash the bios.

Would take some time. But it could be done.

no i think it is my floppy controller. yes the light is on all of the time on my floppy drive. i have tried using 2 different floppy drives and neither work

Emericana, go here and follow his guide for creating a boot CD. Copy the flash program and files to your C drive. Boot to DOS, navigate to C:>, and run your flash program from your HDD.

Ebola said:
haha yup. thats what i thought. i did that once. i felt pretty dumb for about a week after that one.
Most of us have made mistakes that we would all like to forget or admit to doing:beer:

sonny said:
Flip the cable;) You got it on the wrong way.

To be honest with you I do it almost everytime I put a PC together. But I look for it on bootup. If the light stay's on I shut off and flip the cable. I just for some reason never pay attention to how I put the cable on.

I remember one time I put a light in my case. Well I put it on the bottom of the floppy drive. It was held on with velcro. Well for week's I could'nt figure out why my floppy was not working. Well turn's out I had the velcro stuck over where it spin's on the bottom. It was'nt allowing it to spin. I felt pretty dumb on that one!

always happens to me too. Though i tell myself when i am taking a comp apart that when i put it back together i will do it right and no matter what i always manage to flip the cable.

Back