• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8500 Volt Mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maximus Nickus

Senior Shaman
I'm Watercooling my GPU and I have some awesome Ramsinks.

Therefore Volt Modding the card has no real risks (I mean the RAM doesn't get hot!) so what is the highest Voltage I can go to? Bearing in mind I want the card to last more than 2 days!

Also does the Pencil last? I don't want it weaing off!

Cheers:beer:
M_N

volts

I'd still be cautious about it... Can you even monitor the voltage... like do you have a multimeter?

Why don't people just figure out what those resistors are and replace them with ones that have a bit less resistance? Seems like that'd be safer than using a pencil...

Good luck with it though. Tweak on!

Yes I have a Multimeter.

The pencil is safer is your clever about it, do 1 small stroke and check it, people who do tohusands of strokes are asking for a dead card!

The resistor mod I think is too risky. I mean for one its permanent so you cannot keep settings diff voltages, and to remove the old resistors you need to heat them, one slip and its a dead card!!!

M_N

Maximus Nickus said:
Yes I have a Multimeter.

The pencil is safer is your clever about it, do 1 small stroke and check it, people who do tohusands of strokes are asking for a dead card!

The resistor mod I think is too risky. I mean for one its permanent so you cannot keep settings diff voltages, and to remove the old resistors you need to heat them, one slip and its a dead card!!!

M_N

I do not agree at all, the pencil trick is much more perilous than changing the resistors....Do a search on the pencil mod just in our forum, and you will see many people have killed thier cards using the pencil trick :eh?:

Permenent :confused: You can take it off and put on the original resistor if need be or add a different resistor....If you Pencil it, theres a real danger you will permenently kill your 8500

It boils down to the 'Lazy factor'

Im of the opinion you should do the job right the first time, and not take the easy road thats filled with roadblocks and potholes.

Yes people have succesfully used the pencil mod, but your gambling.....changing the resistors is not a gamble.

Last edited:
I see,

How would I got about changing the resistors and what methods could i use?

I would like quite a bit of umpfh:D from this card. The watercooling should cool it down to ambient, I mean some ppl have put over 4V through the mem and hit over 730Mhz:eek:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. As well as which resistors to by, K and 1/4watt 1/3watt etc.

Thanks SSS,
M_N

EDIT:/ I just noticed your sig Sam, does that mean you have the ramspreaders?

Maximus Nickus said:

EDIT:/ I just noticed your sig Sam, does that mean you have the ramspreaders?

Yes they will ship out on Friday.....The vendor accidently had them sitting in thier warehouse and they told me repeatedly they went out for delivery.... The screwed up and they sent them Monday and I have the tracking number. I will have them Thursday and I already have 50 usps priority boxes and they will be mailed Friday.

As far as the resistors go, read this

http://www.overclockers.com/tips757/

I have more info on this that I will post later as I have the steps on a Cdrw somewhere in my storage closet.....(I cleaned my office now I cant find a dang thing :(

Thanks a lot,
If you oculd tell me how to send $ via paypal (and how much for 3xpurple ones) I would be grateful.

I'm in the UK and the shipping shouldn't be more than the cost of a letter if its sent like that.

Thanks again,
M_N:beer:

i did three strokes on each one befor i did the resistor mod and nothing happened to my card accept higher speeds. you must have put those 2 strokes on pretty damn thick:eek:

I'll have to go resistor, just need to know which ones, I have H20 see. Everytime i go to buy one theres another four optuons, 1/1 1/2 1/3 1/4 Watt.....which?

M_N

Back