• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Argh my worst nightmare

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nick, its def the mobo or the cpu, or both. go over them VERY SLOWLY and carefully with a magnifying glass, inspect for as3, a broken trace, whatever. remember, whatever is wrong, u WILL eventually find it. u might haved chipped a resistor off even. just look real carefully and wipe everything off real good, undo all of your mods and such. i know it sucks, but u have to do it. evel wipe the paint off the cpu so it is locked again, return everything to factory shipped condidion. it wont all just stop working on its own, u had to do something.
and if your getting FF, its prolly a shorted trace somewhere preventing the video, pay attention to the traces going from the northbridge to the AGP slot, and also CPU to NB. if u broke a trace, they are easy to fix with defogger paint or a trace pen.
get back too me ill be on again when i get home from work at 4am
-Malakai

after doing that you may wish to take the mobo to the shower with you. Remove the backup battery and shower the board off, (dont do this if you have hard water) let it dry out 100% (may take up to 3 days), cross your fingers, plug it In and pray it works.

Only try this as a last resort, because there may be a safer way to get it working again.

I feel your pain, man. Over the past year I have started up to the no-beeps/no-display due to 3 different Athlons and 3 different motherboards. I'm used to it, now, so I just head straight to the site where I bought the part for an RMA. It sucks, but it happens(especially when first tinkering with an H2O setup). Just don't let it get to you, return the stuff and be done with it.

Thanks a lot guys,

I'm so tired I'll do Malakai's method tommorow about 1pm, I've also filed for an RMA with Epox to see how much the shipping will cost and such, although it causes hassle as i need it goin now!!

I have Hard Tap Water were we are, but I could use some distilled water...

Thanks I'll let you know tommorow,
M_N

Have you tried pressing the reset button while it's sitting blank? Or reseting the CMOS? My Asus A7v133 has this problem frequently, but doesn't have a bootup diagnostic feature. A warm reset, or just unplugging it for a few minutes usually brings it to life.

The code FF should mean teh CPU is ok, or it wouldn't get past the first code (gotta check my diagnostics book for exact code)

Maxi, your only 15 and your already in debt?!?!

Again sorry to hear. But I think it just might be the chip itself. I mean won't the Epox give out the FF if it detects no chip itself? Can you get any friends to lend you their components just for a day to test out the hardware. Arctic Silver on the chip can be invisible on the chip. Mine was stuck between leads and shortened them and it wouldn't boot. I use isopropyl and a toothbrush to clean it out, then let it dry. Once my motherboard had AS somewhere on the board after applying it to my Northbridge, and it wouldn't boot.

I took a wet cloth of isopropyl and cleaned the board, and guess what it booted! :)

The smallest things can be overlooked. I wish you the best of luck.

I know the stress your going through because I go through with it every 2-3 months with a stupid accident.

you may want to check the wateblock that you dropped, the top is only held on with solder so there may be a leak. you can make it look better by painting all of it (appart from the barbs and the base) with touch up paint for a car (any colour you want) you do not need to worry about heat transfer because the air in the case is usally warmer then the water.

I've tried all the above and it looks like theres some broken traces...there just scuffed (not broke) but maybe thats causing a no-boot!

I've cleaned everything with Alcohol as well....looks like i'll have to wait for a reply from Epox....hey look on he bright side maybe they'll send me a 8K3A+ by accident!

Time to clean the board again!

as long as your not leaving.
is it an 8KHA+?
if it is and epox does'nt reply, PM me. i can get your board replaced.
-Malakai

I had a simular problem with the 8KHA+, although on this occasion I didn't do anything. Just rebooted and wham FF code. Turned out the motherboard and processor went up in smoke. After this I went back to Abit. I had my BH6 for 4 years with no probs. So far KR7A-RAID is giving me no probs. Hopefully another 4 years of service :)

The CPU is gone too I think, I tested it in another board and a no go....

But I've entered a CPU contest so maybe a bit of luck...
But the Motherboard is being replaced. (phew:))

M_N

Maximus Nickus said:
Its not working:(

I dismantled my PC to install my H20 installed it and its dead, all I get is the FF code by itself with no beeps or activity.

I'm so depressed I might as well get off to bed, its to late to make racional decisions.

I don't know whats happened but I'm scared to even look, if anythings wrong them I don't have a PC as I currently owe over $800 for this one. I'm gonna get some Isopropyl alcohol to clean it agan as I spilt some AS3 although theres no traces of it anywhere....

Hope for the best:(
M_N

I have EPOX8KHA Motherboard.

Please post your TOTAL Specifications

Try the following

-Put your ram into a different slot-

Run your computer with only..

Graphics Card, Heatsink, CPU, RAM. No HD, NO cables.

Just see if it will post.. trust me.... My NETWORK Card has stopped me from posting, and it said FF.

Tried everything, its definately the board and CPU.
The board is being replaced but the CPU can't be, hmm maybe I'll rob a bank.:D

Edit:/ Got caught :( so I'm on parole!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D j/k

M_N

1 UK Pound is 1.3 US Dollars, and 1 US Dollar is 0.70 of a UK pound.

So that Duron is about £50...but I still can't afford it! And I always go for T-Birds or XP's over Durons for the Processing power.

Well I might get a job soon so the 1700+ ($100) looks like my fav choice. Although I would love to get a 1900+ or higher, I mean hey the 2000+ is only $200 now...(drools over screen)

M_N

Nick, are there any computer shops near u, even kinda close? if u go to a computer store u can search they're cpu's for a stepping u want. AGOIA Y 's, even 1600+'es, all go to at least 1.8 on air, and prolly 1.9-2.0ghz with h2o
-Malakai

Its a good idea (there are quite a few shops near me) but I really can't afford it, I'm totally skint.

But heck I guess I'll wait, I mean i waited 6 months before (agonizing I tell you!) hopefully my job application will come through next month.

Then I can get that AGOIGA Y stepping, if i can find it!!!

M_N

Back