• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Argh my worst nightmare

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maximus Nickus

Senior Shaman
Its not working:(

I dismantled my PC to install my H20 installed it and its dead, all I get is the FF code by itself with no beeps or activity.

I'm so depressed I might as well get off to bed, its to late to make racional decisions.

I don't know whats happened but I'm scared to even look, if anythings wrong them I don't have a PC as I currently owe over $800 for this one. I'm gonna get some Isopropyl alcohol to clean it agan as I spilt some AS3 although theres no traces of it anywhere....

Hope for the best:(
M_N

Yeah, get some rest...things are easier to work out that way.

Here's some things to check...
Metal screws or nylon screws holding the block?...if metal, are they grounding to the motherboard?
Did you move or pinch off one of the tiny components next to the bolt holes? Mine get pretty close, and one has a tiny capacitor sandwiched by the nylon washer/nut.
If your bios has the cpu fan sensing/shutdown option, is it now disabled?
Get all your devices and fans plugged in correctly, some psu's won't start if something is shorted or drawing alot of juice (like a half plugged in drive).

Let us know how it goes, and great luck man!

I had a similar problem once, turned out there was thermal gunk on my old T-Bird and it was shorting out some of the bridges, yet it still give the FF on the debug chip.

Hey, I see that you did a volt mod. Perhaps something got bumped and something is shorting out and is causing a problem similar to the "Drawing alot of juice" scenario that Diggrr came up with.

Dissolved said:
whats ff mean?

On the EPoX boards there is a Debug Chip that displays a Hex. Number on two figure 8 leds, If there is a problem, a hex number will be displayed, FF (Boot Attempt) is what is displayed when the computer is runnig fine.

This happened to me once. It turns out the waterblock was tight enough to keep me from frying my chip, but it was too loose to properly cool it. I just gave the four bolts a couple of turns and it fired right up. Good luck.

Sorry to hear Maximus.

All I can hope for is it's something overlooked. As mentioned before I did have AS on my chip which effected the chip to boot obviously. I cleaned it off with a toothbrush and it booted! I just hope everything works out for you.

Best of luck,
Yodums

Be calm, Relax, and the answer will come to you :D

Yeah, it’s probably something simple like the other guys said. Good luck, and I hope you get it working soon. :)

Thanks,

I'll have a go tommorow (I'm shattered today) and see if I can sort it, I did have AS spilt all over the CPU and cleaned it with soap but theres still some traces.

I'll have to go buy some Isopropyl Alcohol, well wish me luck:)
M_N

drunkmonkey said:
I wish you (luck)x2, maybe its a polterguist, my computer likes to randomly "act" like its unplugged and not turn on when all the connectins are fine. Hope it works out.

on the matter of polterguists... my power supply has one ;). sometimes for no appearant reason it shuts off. and if you touch it at all then it's off. one time i just closed the case door and when i locked it it shut off... anyone ever heard of a Power supply excorcisim? i'm in need of the best!

sounds weird but....

here are a few possabilities:

1. Thjis happened to me once, it turned out that my floppy drive was not connected properly, check every connection in and out of the computer.

2. take your chip out and see if there is any AS anywhere on or around it, also check no pins have snapped off.

3. make sure your graphics card, ram, PCI cards ect are seated properly

4. your processor is a bit knackered, if you have another one avalable, use it.

5. Try a different PSU.

6. if you can, remove any mods.

7. test all the components in another computer one by one.

Diggrr said:
If your bios has the cpu fan sensing/shutdown option, is it now disabled?
One to watch out for for everyone that just shifted to watercooling. ABIT MoBos have this feature & even catches a lot of HSF users when they shift to higher rated fans that can't be plugged into the fan header.

Nice call Diggrr:beer:

Checked it all, and my CPU and Mobo are dead.
Not only that my desk is ruined as one of my waterblocks fell and snapped through it, to add to that my coated waterblocks (great looking) now have great gaping marks in them.

In fact I doubt I'll be on this forum for a good few months now until I raise $700 to pay of my debts of the broken PC/desk and then buy new ones.

As for RMA's maybe the board can be (although the last RMA I needed for my HDD never returned) so I'm doubtful, as for the CPU its a no no, its scratched all over and has no warranty.

Maybe I'll see you in the future, because unitl then I have about 10mins a day on another PC.

Au Revoir:( :(

did u spill anything on them?
damn that really really sucks bro, u better drop by when u can
do u have any idea how they died? any leaky water/ect.!?!
are u SURE the cpu is dead and not just the mobo?
-Malakai

I just don't get it.

I dismantled the rig to install the H20, but it doesn't alla rrive so I think oh wat the heck I'll just watercool my Vid Card.N-Bridge as the parts for them were here.

So I install them both, I did spill a bit of AS3 but I quickly got rid of it with Isopropyl Alcohol, I assembled it all and nothing.

Just a FF code, I've tested everything, theres nothing on the rig (no floppy HDD etc) just RAM/CPU/Vid, I used a diff Vid nothing, I took the CPU out same code.

I really don't get it, the problem is I just last week spent over $300 on H20 for this rig, hopin to get it all up smoothly, now I have a load of wasted $$$ a dent in my wallet and no way of fixing it.
Not only that my Vid Card may well be knackered too, and I can't even test anything!!!

Argh my life sucks, I had over 13 faulty parts with my old rig so I get this and now its knackered! Jeez I should just give up and use my ol 286, thing never went wrong......:( :( :( The irony is that 1Ghz chip did 1.6Ghz! But I never got it to bench at that speed.

sorry to hear it. i know how those tings are... my video card was victim to an H20 accident as well. hopefully you can fix it... maybe it will still work. 13 faulty parts? i didn't even know there were that many individual parts that could go wrong..

Its not a water leak....

I'd like to RAM but Britains service takes so long to do anything that I won't get it back for months.

Took me 4 hours to find some Isopropyl, I had to get a letter from the Police to state wat i needed it for, cause its dangerous:rolleyes:

Sorry but I'm really depressed, not only that I DID have a lovely desk. Just another $150 to the list!:D

Back