• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Arrggh! System Crashed, Help...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tweaked!

Xtreme refugee
Ok, specs to start with. It's a Intel "Al440lx" mobo w/ a Celery500 running windoze 98se. Been running just fine for weeks since the cpu upgrade from a p//266. I've had it running F@H 24/7 and my sons have been gaming on it since the upgrade, so I really don't think thats the issue. About a week and half ago I noticed that it started showing an error on boot. "ERROR 02b2: Incorrect Drive A type - run setup". So I go into setup and floppy options are what they are supposed to be. Everything looks fine, so I reboot. Same thing again... So I skip it and the rig boots ok. Did notice though that it won't format a floppy disk, but did read another disk that had some small program on it. So I just blow that off for the time being. Well, this morning I woke up to a power outage for about 5 minutes. Go downstairs to my office, Main rig boots just fine, but the Celery500 rig won't boot to normal windoze, it will only boot in Safemode. So in safemode, I start checking Device Manager, No errors. So I go into system explorer and find it showing 2 floppy drives, 1 in drive "A" and 1 in drive "B" and not showing any cdrom drive (which was drive "G"). So I whip out the ole trusty bootdisk in floppy and precede to try and boot from that. Nothing happening... Won't recognize the floppy drive at all. So I open the case and remove the jumper from Normal (with no jumper, it's supposed to go to recovery). It gives me one long beep, the 3 short beeps. That's all it will do without the jumper, so I figure it has reset the cmos. I power it back down, replace the jumper, and boot. AARRRGGGGHHHHH!!! Same thing again! No matter what I try, It won't read the floppy and forgot it has a cdrom. Someone pleez help, the only other recourse I can think of at the moment involves a baseball bat, Broom and dustpan....I'd prefer to avoid that method as my F@H team needs all the processing power it can muster up right now. :confused: :eh?:

I think it's time to go shopping for a new floppy drive.
Mine used to do the same things...read a disk one minute, then the next winbloze would ask me to "insert media".
It all went away with a new drive installed, a head cleaning did no good.

Shop around a little too, there's no good reason on earth to pay the $30 that CompUSA wants for a floppy drive. It seams everyone else on the planet knows they're only worth $15-$20.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm starting to think now too. I've gone into msdos from safemode and in drive A:, it will read the directory of a bootdisk I made in my other rig using win me. But when I run the exe. it fails and starts making a intermitten grinding sorta noise. :( Oh well, started in the classifieds hoping someone had some floppy drives for sale, no luck. Then I tried a couple online venders, and it looks like Newegg has them about the cheapest. ( $9.00 + shipping) Wonder how much they'll want for shipping? Guess I'll try Pricewatch next and see what they can turn up.:rolleyes:

Try changing the floppy cable first.
Just to make sure, unplug the floppy and disable the floppy controller in your BIOS. If it boots up okay, you'll know its either the floppy or floppy cable.

Well, I yanked the floppy out of my other rig and got it to boot off that. Did a high level format and started over:(
That wasted a good couple of hours of Folding time...:eek:
Nevertheless, It's up and running again and found a new floppy drive through pricewatch for 5 bucks and 7 bucks shipping. not too bad. Now its time for all the endless microsoft updates:eh?:

Back